re: syllabus summaries (1 Viewer)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
are you supposed to make syllabus summaries after you've read the textbook and understood everything or as you read the textbook and pick out stuff relevant to dot point? is it better to read a couple of textbooks before making notes on dot points, even though some stuff repeat?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If you can get hold of a couple of textbooks then of couse it would be better.

But either way you should make sure when you do write the syllabus dot points that you actually understand what you write rather than coping wrod for word from the textbook.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
it's best to get info from a few sources, not just from one textbook.
though i highly recommend "chemistry in context" :) chemistry pathways isn't that great but we had to use it coz one of the science teacher's husband wrote it O__o
just make sure that you summarise so that you understand it, and that your summary ANSWERS the dot point!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Be suer to check other peoples sumamries as well (on this website) to ensure you didn't miss anything or get anything wrong in your dot point.

I found the CSU dot point summary to be one of the best.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i make summaries of the dot points i've covered in clas that night. otherwise i'm jepordising time for catching up later. as RR said, its good to get a few sources of information for your summaries. theres no point in sticking to one text book-you might as well re-write the whole thing :p but you shouldnt be writing out pages and pages for one dot point to start off with. also i check with the ntoes previuos BOS memebrs have made. sometimes i copy a bit of theirs if i have no idea what to write. usually hsc.csu.edu.au usually answers the ones i'm stuck on and gives me more ideas to look up on, but if worst comes to worst, then i'll post the dot point here :D ;)

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i don't know why but i tend to find chemistry contexts a bit sensationalised. is conquering chem good? i got the book but haven't bothered reading it. how long should dot points be on average? and is it necessary to make summaries of the points under "students.." i.e. the second column, where they have a mixture of pracs and other stuff, or should i just stick with the "students learn to.." i.e. the theory stuff?

btw, i just noticed all you ppl who replied have humongous (sp?) no. of posts, that means you've got experience right. oh and thanx!

Last edited:

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Ugh - don't make notes.

Your own notes will end up screwing you in the backside. You're better off getting exam questions with answers and writing answers again and again. Look for more sources and validate some responses as different sources can provide misinformation - yes even textbooks

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
chudy, i'm a bit confused. on the one hand, there's the teachers and other forum members, on the other, there is you, a med student (man!)...who should i listen to, or should i just conclude it differs for each individual, in which case i don't know what works for me.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
You'll find that you have to find a technique that works out for you.

Not everyone is the same, nor can everyone learn at the same pace as everyone else.

Year 11 would of been a big help to develop this technique if you attempted the course.....which I didn't :D

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
in yr11, i just made notes out of text books and trusted that it covered syllabus. i did alright for both chem and phys but this is different. i don't think i want to take the risk here. i think i might make notes and get teachers to check it for me, but i'd also do lots of answering questions as chudy suggested. i guess it all comes down to working hard, hey.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Usually for Physics/Chemistry, the course for year 11, although different, can be readily applied in year 12 the learning method will be the same.

i.e. you learn topic 1 in preliminary - the world communiates, then you learn something totally different - electricity, then you learn something totally different again - the cosmic engine.

If you managed to cope with learning 3 totally new things and still do well, year 12 would be exactly the same - think of it as a continuation of year 11, except just learning new things. Same technique.

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
thanx ragerunner. i'll come to you next time if i have questions, considering you're also a moderator.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by arielbelle
are you supposed to make syllabus summaries after you've read the textbook and understood everything or as you read the textbook and pick out stuff relevant to dot point? is it better to read a couple of textbooks before making notes on dot points, even though some stuff repeat?
a couple, which can also be very time consuming, is the best, i sugegst contexts and conquering together. i would say it is very important to make notes, as you do the subject, well in advance of the exams, and then give yourself plenty of time to learn them , and most importantly to do past papers. i used to find it easiest to do a whole number section (e.g. all the dot points in the production of materials, 1.) at once, because then i had the overview of that section which i needed. but it does take a long time.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
Ragerunner said:
Be suer to check other peoples sumamries as well (on this website) to ensure you didn't miss anything or get anything wrong in your dot point.

I found the CSU dot point summary to be one of the best.
hey what/ which one is the CSU dot point summary?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)