Really confusing -- Maths Ext 1 is 1 unit? (1 Viewer)

Pteriforever

HSC
I just received a paper confirming what HSC subjects I've entered this year, and on the paper it had Mathematics Extension 1 written down as 1 unit.

I always assumed the different Mathematics subjects stacked additively -- 2U + 3U = 5U -- but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Can someone explain this for me?

I'm intending to do Extension 2 at a later point, and if the units of that don't stack with Ext 1, then I'll need to either need to seriously pick up my performance in SDD or find two more units from somewhere -- or else my mediocre Physics score might see the light of day.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
ok if you're just doing extension 1 maths then in the hsc you will have 2 units making up your mathematics 2u mark, and 1 unit making up your extension 1 mark (each unit is out of 50 marks, so in other words you'll get a mark out of 100 for 2u and a mark out of 50 for 3u).

If you do extension 2 mathematics, 2 units will count from your 3u mark, and 2 units from your 4u mark. So you'll get a mark oujt of 100 for your extension 1 and a mark out of 100 for your extension 2.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
When people say they're doing 3U, it means that they are doing 3 units worth of Maths in total. Mathematics is worth 2 units and MX1 is worth 1 unit - add them together is 3Units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)