recommend me some new music (1 Viewer)

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
so i'm going through a bored of all my music phase. please recommend me some new stuff to get into, however i'm not looking for any old crap and plz don't just throw a heap of band names at me.

SO HERE AR DA RULEZ:
throw in a band name, maybe a picture then a few sentences as to why you like them so much and one or two of their better songs to download.. err i mean buy, as a sample.

If this is done, hopefully it will make this thread far more interesting, and more applicable and useful to everyone, instead of just me, and possibly more of a long standing project to showcase your favourite musicians, and find some new music for yrself. BUT PLZ STICK TO THE RULZ OTHERWISE IT WILL BE SHIT.

i will get the ball rolling

elliott smith

before his tragic suicide, smith was commonly regarded as one of the best folk song writers of all time. his often depressing and always interesting lyrics are a stark contrast to his light and catchy melodies. one of the few artists whom i can listen to virtually his entire discography without needing to skip tracks. nice music for chilling out or relaxing/having a sook or feeling sorry for yourself.

check out:
-fond farewell
-needle in the hay
-junk band trader

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
nice thread
Cocteau Twins

ok i must admit i don't have heaps of their stuff as yet but i highly recommend.

One of the most innovative of the post-punk bands of the 1980s, the Cocteau Twins built a unique sound based on woozy atmospherics and singer Liz Fraser's utterly unmatchable vocals, most of which featured lyrics of made-up words, words plucked at random from the dictionary, and her native Gaelic, which varied strongly in pitch in minimal times, drawing comparison with acclaimed singer Maria Callas. (last fm)

got into them because liz fraser did a duet with jeff buckley, led me to cocteau twins. very ethereal (is that even a word) beautiful vocals over a heavier foundation. i enjoy it alot.

fave tracks of what i have:
wax and wane
musette and drums
feathers-oars-blades

joe1016

HSC
You need to love radiohead!

best band in the world and almost every critic will put their 1997 album OK computer in their top 5 albums ever made! its that simple.....they are the best current band in the world. ask anyone who is anyone.

try to get - No Surprises
- Karma Police
- Paranoid Android
- The Tourist
- ANYTHING OFF OK COMPUTER ..................(or the bends or amnesiac or Kid A or their Live album "I might be wrong" or Pablo Honey or their last album (to date) Hail to the thief)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
sparta:
when at the drive in broke up they became sparta, the best band of all time in my books. melodic, powerful and moving shit
you cant go past it
listen to
collapse
breaking the broken
while oceana sleep

free agent crew:
like a cross between your favourite ska band and hilltop hoods. dont think the cat empire, they suck
just caught them live at the uni bar amazing stuff. makes you want to go mental
check out
make money
free agent crew

joe1016

HSC
DrownTheCrow said:
sparta:
when at the drive in broke up they became sparta, the best band of all time in my books. melodic, powerful and moving shit
you cant go past it

free agent crew:
like a cross between your favourite ska band and hilltop hoods. dont think the cat empire, they suck
just caught them live at the uni bar amazing stuff. makes you want to go mental

oh come on, we all know that the mars volta (the other half of at the drive in) beat the shit out of spartas soft rock crap. i caught the mars volta at the big day out, they went absolutely offf!!!! Highlight of BDO 06 i tells ya.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
i'm digging the band 'Live' at the moment... even though at first all songs seem similiar... its one of those bands where u like most of their songs, or none at all

absolution*

ymyum
HSC

ANTONY AND THE JOHNSONS

Without a doubt the best band of last year/this millenium. Quality live. Great tunes.

* Hope theres someone
* You are my sister
* I fell in love with a dead girl
* Soft black stars (cover)
* Candy says (cover)

ELLIOTT SMITH

I will always love the tragic figure, and his life was, both love and tragedy. Theres a great recording of him from stockholm sweden if you can find it on soulseek.

Just wanted to add some songs to espos list

* Alameda
* Rose parade
* Angeles
* Kings crossing

Last edited:

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
nice work on the elliott smith absolution, and good songs to add.

also to the cunts above. try and put some effort in. read the rules etc.

HSC

metric .. i love the songs emily haines does for broken social scene, someone told me she had her own band and told me to listen to a few songs. kinda along the lines of broken social scene, stars, maybe the yeah yeah yeahs or the sahara hotnights only not shit. check out monster hospital, dead disco, maybe 'iou' or something

joe1016

HSC
Espo15 said:
nice work on the elliott smith absolution, and good songs to add.

also to the cunts above. try and put some effort in. read the rules etc.

FUCK ME, i did put some effort in! then i wanted to have my say on something else!

just as you fucking did in your last post!

"cunts above" ---just cos ur a sociopathic control freak

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
joe1016 said:
FUCK ME, i did put some effort in! then i wanted to have my say on something else!

just as you fucking did in your last post!

"cunts above" ---just cos ur a sociopathic control freak
blah blah
sorry sparta arnt rough enough for you... sometimes music needs a little refinement
dont be close minded

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
oooh... i agree with the cocteau twins! liz fraser has such a beautiful voice - you might recognise her from craig armstrong's "this love" and massive attack's "teardrop"

also metric is great too, i love torture me, grow up and blow away, on the sly and more.

my recommendations:

panic! at the disco - yeah so heaps of emo kids are talking about them but right now i cannot get "lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off" out of my head <3

bertie blackman - aussie, AMAZING voice, her song "two lovers in mexico" might sound a bit weird at first but it really grows on you. i've been listening to it since january and i'm still not sick of it. love.

liz phair - her old stuff was soooo much better. eg. exile in guyville. her new stuff is very different, such as "why can't i" and "hot white come"... hmmmm but yeah check out her old stuff

M.I.A. - <333! weird funky beats, arula is the secks

rachael yamagata - sexy husky voice, heart-wrenching lyrics. "would you please", "be be your love", "the reason why", "i want you" and pretty much everything off her album "happenstance"

jeff buckley - you've probably heard his music but ehhh anyway, he is the man in my avatar and i love him. i wish he was still alive. his cover of leonard cohen's "hallelujah" is 12938172x better than the original, and "lover, you should've come over" remains one of my favourite songs of all time. if you don't have the album "grace" already, getttttt itttttttttt

might post more when i think of them
<3

Last edited:

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
bubz :D said:
bertie blackman - aussie, AMAZING voice, her song "two lovers in mexico" might sound a bit weird at first but it really grows on you. i've been listening to it since january and i'm still not sick of it. love.

M.I.A. - <333! weird funky beats, arula is the secks

jeff buckley - you've probably heard his music but ehhh anyway, he is the man in my avatar and i love him. i wish he was still alive. his cover of leonard cohen's "hallelujah" is 12938172x better than the original, and "lover, you should've come over" remains one of my favourite songs of all time. if you don't have the album "grace" already, getttttt itttttttttt

might post more when i think of them
<3
bubz, i love you.

for espo,
Roisin Murphy is one half of UK electronic duo Moloko. I love her voice. its kinda husky, yet fits into so many different styles. she does jazz stuff as well as disco. her album is full of that kind of variation in genre. Ive only started to listen to her again after i started to get into Moloko.
for pics see my av.

good songs:
Ruby Blue
Night Of the Dancing Flame
Sow Into You

ps ill post up more later.

Last edited:

arrested development
HSC
GOOD THREAD!!! :uhhuh:

My Bloody Valentine

Genre: shoegaze / post-punk / noise pop

My Bloody Valentine were key contributors to, and quite possibly pioneers of, the shoegazing style that emerged in the late 80's on the UK alternative scene. Their debut album "Isn't Anything" is said to have defined the genre and its sound. This sound is characterised by multi-layered, thick, swirling, distorted guitars; soft vocals and self-deprecating, introspective lyrics; and a glacial, white "wall of sound".

Their sound is so innovative and it has influenced numerous bands since then (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, most notably). I got into them through a friend who suggested I might like them due to my fondness for bands such as The Jesus and Mary Chain. Anyway, they're probably not for everyone but I think they're ace.

And, because I am also ace, I uploaded some songs.

Only Shallow
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4zyhvd

Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/97gz2p

Cupid Come
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x64rh8

I like sharing music with cool people. :)

arrested development
HSC
This is addictive... :eek:

White Rose Movement

Genre: post-punk revival / electro / electroclash

These kids are my babies! I am so claiming that I was their first Australian fan.
Anyway, they're fabulous. So fucking unashamedly influenced by post-punk bands (most obviously, Gang Of Four and The Cure). Spiky guitar riffs, hard and fast drum beats, perfect pop synths, sexy vocals. Wonderful!
They're really not trying to be anything but pure, sexy, 80's electro revivalists - and they have the style to match! ;)

Fucking ditch The Presets or whatever; these guys are the only neo-electropop band worth listening to. :)

Alsatian
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cwvy1q

Love Is A Number
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wmdsop

Girls In The Back
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9z42d0

London's Mine
http://www.sendspace.com/file/f2dama

arrested development
HSC
LOL. More now. You do realise I'm just going to keep adding more bands until all my favourites are on here? And seeing as I have nothing to do today I'm going to waste the entire day doing this. :eek:

Elastica

Genre: britpop / punk revival

In 1995, Elastica pretty much owned the britpop scene (due in no small part to frontwoman Justine Frischmann's much-publicised relationship with Damon Albarn). Their eponymous debut album fared well in both the UK and US, entering the UK charts at #1 and becoming the fastest-selling debut in the UK (beating the record set by Oasis' "Definintely Maybe" less than a year prior). Their sound is easily accessible, catchy, hook-driven and sexy; with basic pop roots and punky, spiked guitar riffs.
Sadly, after touring their debut LP, the band encountered problems when the bassist, Annie Holland, left the band. They released a second LP in 1999, but never quite got their spunk back. However, the debut is just so incredibly good and an absolute britpop classic.
I got into Elastica as a natural progression from being a fan of Suede and Blur and, hence, wanting to hear what the fabulous Justine (who dated both Brett Anderson and Damon Albarn... lucky bitch), did that was so great. She was also actually one of the founding members of Suede (she and Brett formed Suede in the late 80's while they were still dating), but left after their relationship ended to follow her own musical pursuits (ie. Elastica).

S.O.F.T
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4q3hvm

Line Up
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5xfhuq

2:1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rd5a39

Connection
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hlt649

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
ok well i'm jumpin in so it's not all wierd zoe crackhead brit rock

SPOON
primarily brit daniels and jim eno with a rotating cast of supporting band members, it's hard to define spoons sound. so um.. i'm not going to try haha, although i guess they would be classified as down tempo indie rock or something.
one of my favourite things about this band is the variance between songs, as two tracks from the same album can sound as if theyre almost from seperate bands.

they play some wicked slow songs such as 'paper tiger' and 'stay don't go', 'lines in the suit' aswell as some funky upbeat songs such as 'all the pretty girls go to the city', 'i turn my camera on', 'sister jack' and 'the way we get by'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)