Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

lyounamu said:
Um...not necessarily.

Notes better be detailed than being concise.

However, different topics require different level of stress. For example, some contents can be better explained when the notes give lots of details whereas some contents are better learnt when they are conscise. But in saying that, Excel and Macquarie did that quite poorly.
True. i mean when writing notes, if you make them too brief, you may miss out on important content which may be examined when studying and this often happens with those 'study guides'.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I just think - that different things just suit different people.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
LOL maybe it's not that you need a colour text book for physics ... it's that you need a proper text book... not just Excel.

Anyway, I need to get myself a copy of Cambridge. So many people using it... I should give it a try.
Haha. So true. My school needs to move away from darn Excel books and into Jacaranda for Physics. We have about 60 Excel Prelim books.

the-derivative said:
Well yeah true. For me, colour suits me the best, and so do books which go into depth and fully cover the syllabus.
Jacaranda :D

Nah, colourful pages distract me from the content. Like with Jacaranda in the topic 'The Cosmic Engine' I spent 10mins looking at the pretty space pictures rather than focusing on the real text. :rolleyes:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

I was just flipping through my old textbooks the other night, and I found a really ancient (1963) textbook my dad gave me back in Year 7. I just wanted to post it up for you guys to see it. It's absolutely ancient but in great condition. And it's funny, it has 3 unit topics in it and my dad gave me exercises from that book in year 7 :hammer:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/Milkiiful_duckz/DSC01080.jpg

Oh and btw ..

did anyone know that Coroneous passed away?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
I was just flipping through my old textbooks the other night, and I found a really ancient (1963) textbook my dad gave me back in Year 7. I just wanted to post it up for you guys to see it. It's absolutely ancient but in great condition. And it's funny, it has 3 unit topics in it and my dad gave me exercises from that book in year 7 :hammer:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/Milkiiful_duckz/DSC01080.jpg

Oh and btw ..

did anyone know that Coroneous passed away?
Yeah, he died in 1995 or something. My teacher said he was a great man.
In his honour, they should really update his textbook.

Excel1001

HSC

cambridge looks hard, the explanations r crappy dere likw proofs of prroofs:p but q's are good. better dan maths in focus. crappy book i hate it. school does it :angry:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Excel1001 said:
cambridge looks hard, the explanations r crappy dere likw proofs of prroofs:p but q's are good. better dan maths in focus. crappy book i hate it. school does it :angry:
Almost as crap as your typing. ;)
But I think a lot of people disagree - Cambridge is a pretty comprehensive textbook.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Excel1001 said:
Yeah, but if your teacher explains it to you beforehand, I reckon the explanations are sufficient enough.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
Yeah, he died in 1995 or something. My teacher said he was a great man.
In his honour, they should really update his textbook.
Yeah, I never realised that until my maths teacher told me ...
That's sad. He also told me that you could call him up at anytime and ask if to help you with maths questions and he'd explain it to you over the phone! How cool is that!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Doctor Jolly said:
That's sad. He also told me that you could call him up at anytime and ask if to help you with maths questions and he'd explain it to you over the phone! How cool is that!
Wow - not many Maths textbook writers do that. =\

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Yeah, my SDD teacher told me when she was doing 4u maths, she would often call him, and he's always help.

Wonder what would happen if someone called Fitzpatrick or the guy who writes Cambridge?

bawd

HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Nah, colourful pages distract me from the content. Like with Jacaranda in the topic 'The Cosmic Engine' I spent 10mins looking at the pretty space pictures rather than focusing on the real text. :rolleyes:
LOL. I mean as in coloured sections and text; not just blank ink on white paper. Pretty diagrams or graphics relevant to the concept should be fine though. Excel have started to put colour in some of their newer books, but they still suck nonetheless.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
Yeah, my SDD teacher told me when she was doing 4u maths, she would often call him, and he's always help.

Wonder what would happen if someone called Fitzpatrick or the guy who writes Cambridge?
We'd probably get raged at by the people from Cambridge. I'm sure Fitzy wouldn't mind :)

bawd said:
LOL. I mean as in coloured sections and text; not just blank ink on white paper. Pretty diagrams or graphics relevant to the concept should be fine though. Excel have started to put colour in some of their newer books, but they still suck nonetheless.
QFT. I only like Excel when it comes to their solutions.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
We'd probably get raged at by the people from Cambridge. I'm sure Fitzy wouldn't mind :).
I doubt Fitzy would help. I mean he seems pretty lazy from his solutions that he includes in the book.

Doctor Jolly said:
QFT. I only like Excel when it comes to their solutions.
I only used Excel for maths once, and they have some weird methods in their solutions, so I'm not a big fan of Excel.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
I doubt Fitzy would help. I mean he seems pretty lazy from his solutions that he includes in the book.
haha, that's so true. But Fitzy has cool books. You can't deny that ;D

the=derivative said:
I only used Excel for maths once, and they have some weird methods in their solutions, so I'm not a big fan of Excel.
Well, at least they provide solutions to their questions. Cambridge on the other hand has hard hard questions and they don't even show us how they got there. That's torment.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
haha, that's so true. But Fitzy has cool books. You can't deny that ;D

Well, at least they provide solutions to their questions. Cambridge on the other hand has hard hard questions and they don't even show us how they got there. That's torment.
I reckon its the same with both Fitzy and Cambridge - they give hard questions with no assistance at all, but yeah the questions and theory in those books are pwnage. I feel sorry for those using books like Maths in Focus... that's like the trashiest book I've ever seen.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
I reckon its the same with both Fitzy and Cambridge - they give hard questions with no assistance at all, but yeah the questions and theory in those books are pwnage. I feel sorry for those using books like Maths in Focus... that's like the trashiest book I've ever seen.
Excel might give MIF a good run for its money. ;)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

the-derivative said:
I sometimes use MIF when my self-esteem is very low in Maths and I want to do some easy questions.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
That's my school right there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)