Referees for Resumes (1 Viewer)

ChiK

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how important is it to have Referees in a Resume?

Do HR people actually contact your work referees esp. in the graduate employment process?

Can anyone having experienced the application process or those working HR shed some light on this?

This is because I actually don't have any reliable referees at all.....

the only manager I have a long work history with is unlikely to give me a good reference given that I left the job on bad terms with the manager.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I've heard that often they aren't checked but you should still have them.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Yeah, they're important. Sometimes they check, sometimes they don't, but you can never know ...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
last week they checked one of mine when I was in another room doing some testing! thank god I put a real one and thank god it was a good reference :)

when I was working in HR - every application I've ever seen that's made it past the initial cull has had reference checks, however this was in a government dept. I would say that for graduate employment they would more likely than not check.

CUZ

HSC
N/A
Yeah they either do or don't

Best to have one

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
They have saved my butt once. Ifelt I had a bad interview and then he called my referee's and gave me the job. Your only disadvantaging yourself if you dont have one

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Yeah I know they do call, because once when I applied for a job, my referee's phone number wasn't valid anymore, and they told me I needed to supply them with another number as it wasn't going through.

Also, I've always wondered what they actually ask when they call up the referees. Do they ask specific stuff like your position, what company, your ABN and crap just incase you put the referee as a fake one to make you look good....?!

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
what jobs i have done before, they never called, i gave them each of my parents mobile phone numbers as my referees and told my parents to say this and that :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
it's not worth a thread of its own so i'll just stick it in this one. but how the hell do you get around it when they want mobile numbers as well as landline numbers for referees?? i just tried to do a thing online for officeworks and it insisted i had to have a mobile number for both my referees...like come on why would i know my previous manager's private mobile number? or those of any of my teachers? I'm pretty sure i'd get the brush off from both if i rang up and asked about it. grrrr.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
they should only have one mandatory number field...you cant expect everyone to have a mobile! you only have to fill out the boxes with an astrix

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
what jobs i have done before, they never called, i gave them each of my parents mobile phone numbers as my referees and told my parents to say this and that :)
Then they must have been moronic. And by "they" I mean both the employers and your parents.

sospecha

in the middle of nowhere; a hole - seriously
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
it's not worth a thread of its own so i'll just stick it in this one. but how the hell do you get around it when they want mobile numbers as well as landline numbers for referees?? i just tried to do a thing online for officeworks and it insisted i had to have a mobile number for both my referees...like come on why would i know my previous manager's private mobile number? or those of any of my teachers? I'm pretty sure i'd get the brush off from both if i rang up and asked about it. grrrr.
hey hey that happened to me too...what i ended up doing was putting the exact same phone number that i had (their home ones) plus the area code (like 02) and deleted all the spaces that u would have in a home phone no. and they accepted it as a mobile number...hope that makes sense...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)