reflection statement (1 Viewer)

zerzillia

this *might* be a tad bit early but...

we have our reflection statement due tomorrow but it is not marked (thus explaining my reluctance and laziness of leaving it till the day before....like all typical procrastinators).

umm.....i wanted this lil thread because i couldn't find one :confused: and because from all the reflection statements i've read, i've gotten very little direction on how to write my one.

and because, my teacher just said: "oh, it's due on tuesday" but never said what to put in it.

i know this is probably too late seeing it's due *cough* tomorrow *cough*, but it is part of our external assessment, so editing is required.

to all those who have survived the course, show us your reflection statements or give us some tips? kudos! (please? here, have a cookie!)

to those who will suffer the same fate with me, good luck! we can ask questions here (hoping someone nice will come to answer).

let the discussion begin! :apig:

zerzillia

first question:

(this is stupid but) what EXACTLY are we suppose to put in our reflection statement??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The Reflection Statement:
<ul><li> summarises the intent of the work and the relationship it has with the extensive independent investigation
<li> must include an outline of the intended audience for the Major Work and the purpose for which it was composed
<li> supports the Major Work explaining the relationships of concept, structure, technical and language features and conventions
<li> should explain the development of concepts during the process of composition making the links clear between independent investigation and the development of the finished product
<li> should indicate how the student realised the concepts in the final product.
</ul>It will therefore call on information that has been presented in each of the other three tasks in terms of intent, work in progress during the process of investigation and composition, and on information contained in the final report. Responses from teachers and students to the three assessment tasks may assist students in formulating their reflection statement.

<div align=right><i>http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_ext2_qa_support.pdf</i></div>
You should aim to compose "a sophisticated and critical Reflection Statement that explains the intention, development and realisation of the Major Work", which "exhibits sophisticated and highly developed ability to articulate, monitor and reflect on processes of investigation, interpretation, analysis and composition." :)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
its basically what Laz said. its like your final journal entry too, just do what it says - reflect on your major work and the process which was involved in writing it.

oh and if you haven't mentioned at any point how the work relates to 2/3 Unit, then now is the time.

if you have a copy of Young Writers Showcase from any year at your school (if it isn't in the library, your extension teacher may have it) have a look at those, because they are the really really good ones....

J

jhakka

Damn. I don't know what my intention is.

"Duhhhh.... write a story?"

:(

*Flutterby*

jhakka said:
Damn. I don't know what my intention is.

"Duhhhh.... write a story?"

:(
my intention is to recover from bad personal experiences and use the extra units in extension to make up for my uai

pitted

HSC
N/A
yeah i'd suggest 3 drafts of the reflection statement at least.

i did my first one immediately after i finished my short story, it was really crap but i think it was the way to go. id also suggest that people should re-read their mw's before the second and third drafts as well as looking over your work journal.

also refer and quote from your own mw.

not sure about anything else
hope that helps though

pitted.

zerzillia

thanks for the tips everyone.

my intention is to:
-use english ext 2 to relax
-to show off as my vanity requires
-use ee2 to escape chemistry...... ^_<

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
zerzillia said:
thanks for the tips everyone.

my intention is to:
-use english ext 2 to relax
-to show off as my vanity requires
-use ee2 to escape chemistry...... ^_<
I said that in mine :p... Do you think we really can?!

pitted

HSC
N/A
well i know i would get away with it with my teacher but you have to ask yourself if your teacher would accept that and if you dont know than dont put it in - unless your a risk taker. me well i play it safe and i only have one other person doing ee2 and she is doing a script whilst i am doing a short story.

although i do love those intentions ;) - and people said original ideas were non-existent?

ciao

zerzillia

Will_Sparky said:
I said that in mine :p... Do you think we really can?!
:rolleyes: Um... Let's say it's written in invisible ink!

Well, on a more serious note, if you don't have an intention that sounds good, you can always bullshit.

pitted --> Of course! My intentions are the most original. I dropped chem so I could do ee2 and maths4u. I regret choosing maths4u (it's too hard for me) but I am in love with ee2. <3

KungPow

HSC
Re:

About those points, could anyone elaborate on that last one? What exactly does 'realise' mean?

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
How you realised your concepts means how well you pulled off your idea. Say, if I wanted to write a crime story, but it really ended up being, I dunno, a love story, then I haven't really realised my concept very well have I? Or if I DID write a crime story, and it was just really shit, and didn't add anything to the genre or explore a new angle or whatever, then my concept wasn't fully realised either, it's only superficially realised.

_dies_

University Member
HSC
These notes have been really helpful ppl. :) Our school is rather slack and i am only just writing it.. but my story still has an open ending.. *grumbles*

Just wanted to say thanks cas now i have something to structure it on
Best of Luck Eveyone!

HSC
N/A
Ok, new question!

I'm in my 2nd draft of the reflection statement now. After much fudging, waffling and re-editing, I now have something pretty much coherent. But:

How many "researched texts" are you putting in there? I have reference to 5 at the moment, but my teacher said that some people are putting in 20. What do you think is a good amount?!?!?

Secondly, what am I supposed to put in my conclusion? I have an idea that it should be something like "omg I'm so glad this thing is finished, it's re-inforced everything I've learnt from eng and eng ext 1 and I feel so enlightened" rah rah but that just sounds so corny... what have you guys said?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)