Refugees leach over half a billion dollars of tax payer money in the last 24 months (1 Viewer)

U.S.A

Banned
HSC
refugees spark huge jump in welfare bill

refugees are creating a soaring welfare headache for taxpayers with the total annual cost of centrelink benefits up nearly 40 per cent to an estimated $628 million in just two years.
figures obtained from centrelink following a freedom of information request show there were 52,469 refugees on the various categories of refugee visas in reciept of the aged pension, disability support pension, austudy, newstart or the youth allowance as at june 30, 2009.
Calculations based on these numbers put the total annual bill at $628 million, including $21.6 million in baby bonus payments.
Two years earlier, the number of refugees on centrelink benefits stood at 40,151 with an total estimated bill then of $451 million.
Nationals senator barnaby joyce said he believed australia was entitled to wonder whether at least some refugees were actually "economic migrants" wanting a more comfortable life and claimed the rudd government's refugee policy was leading to more boat people arriving on our shores.
"the policy that was in place before was the policy that worked — what you have now is a policy that is flawed," he said.
Refugee advocacy groups last night conceded there were signficant upfront costs associated with accepting refugees but there was a net benefit over time as they established themselves in their new homeland.
A big driver in the increase was the abolition in august 2008 of controversial temporary protection visas by the rudd government, which were issued without access to centrelink benefits.
The policy switch led to about 1000 of these former asylum seeks moving to resolution of status visas immediately and accessing full welfare entitlements.
The figures on the mounting centrelink bill to taxpayers, revealed by a nine news investigation, comes as three new vessels carrying asylum seekers were thought to be sailing to australia, prompting furious talks between canberra and the indonesian capital jakarta.
Since september last year, 39 boats carrying asylum seekers have been intercepted taking a perilious journey to australia.
However, just a portion of the 13,507 refugee visas granted in 2008-09 were granted to boat people — most refugees come through australia's offshore humanitarian program.
Refugee council of australia chief executive paul power said there were difficulties for refugees finding work in australia, at least in the short term, resulting in many needing assistance to survive.
While many were actually qualified for jobs, they had difficulties getting australian employers to recognise their foriegn university study or their work experience.
"there needs to be an understanding that there are costs with refugee and humanitarian programs as people get resettled,'' he said.
"they also need employers ready to give them a go."
he added that studies had shown that refugees tend to have repaid all their costs within 17 years and cited several of the wealthiest businessmen in australia, including frank lowy and harry triguboff, who were once refugees.
The relevant visa categories are refugee and humanitarian (class xb), resolution of status and permanent protection visas.
There were 13,507 refugee visas granted in 2008-09 under the three main categories.
Since 1990, about 190,000 refugee visas have been granted.
An immigration department spokesman said that just 3 per cent of those in reciept of a newstart allowance as at june 30, 2009 were refugees, while only about 3.5 per cent of youth allowance payment were refugees.
there were 52,469 refugee visa holders on centrelink benefits as at june 30, 2009:
21,422 were on newstart
13,582 were on the youth allowance
9881 were on the disability support pension
5488 were on the aged pension
2096 were on austudy
there were also 4324 baby bonus payments
there were 40,151 refugee visa holders on centrelink benefits as at june 30, 2007:
15,750 were on newstart
11,142 were on youth allowance
7350 were on disability support pension
4410 were on aged pension
1499 were on austudy
there were also 2796 baby bonus payments
wtf mc fuck!

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Re: Refugees leach over half a billion dollars of tax payer money in the last 24 mont

It's part of Australia's humanitarian aid programme (which is already dick all). What's the problem?

"Since 1990, about 190,000 refugee visas have been granted."

In the meantime, we've accepted a couple of million skilled migrants and our population has naturally grown a further couple of million more. And clearly only about 25% of refugees are claiming Centrelink benefits so the rest are working as productive members of society.

I'd say our refugee programme has been a great success, its small size not withstanding.

Last edited:

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Re: Refugees leach over half a billion dollars of tax payer money in the last 24 mont

The day we start sending them back as soon as they get here is the day they'll want to stop coming here.

This comment has two meanings - work it out.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

this is why we shouldn't accept them

U.S.A

Banned
HSC

It's part of Australia's humanitarian aid programme (which is already dick all). What's the problem?

"Since 1990, about 190,000 refugee visas have been granted."

In the meantime, we've accepted a couple of million skilled migrants and our population has naturally grown a further couple of million more. And clearly only about 25% of refugees are claiming Centrelink benefits so the rest are working as productive members of society.

I'd say our refugee programme has been a great success, its small size not withstanding.
Not the point dude, I support the intake of refugees simply because I dont believe that the government own this country. But that's besides the point, there are millions of homeless Australians who should be catered for before we start spoon feeding foreigners. Its not only sad but hypocritical. Not only that, I dont want my tax dollars being fucking wasted on some immigrants, I want the damn roads fixed, the trains fixed . etc etc

Beyond that, this ticks me off because I want my fucking share as well.

The day we start sending them back as soon as they get here is the day they'll want to stop coming here.

stfu. only a jew could be so ruthless un fucking grateful. oh wait, your the same kind of people that consider Palestinians are sub human. You probably treat your shit better than a human Palestinian.
this is why we shouldn't accept them
wtf? your parents probably came by boat.

Last edited:

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC

You're assuming he government can actually be successful at patroling thousands of miles of coastline and turning away enough immigrants to severly deter them. The government is notoriously bad at everyhing it does. As long as this country is safer and more prosperous than other alternatives, people will find away to come here.

RAB11

HSC

The common misconception about this is the fact that people view asylum seekers as "illegal" immigrants. It's xenophobic, and it's a crass misunderstanding of the situation.

Australia is signatory to, and in fact played a major part in the writing of, the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. One of the points in this document, which outlines the rights all humans have, simply by virtue of being human, is that a person has the right to "seek and obtain asylum from persecution in a country not their own" or something to that effect. This means Australia is obliged to let these people in the country.

Australia's stance is: Sure, we'll let them in, but they have to go through the proper channels, first. And a lot of refugees do. But, if you were being persecuted in your country, it is highly unlikely you would have access to visa applications forms, etc, etc. So you get out of there by any means possible, as quickly as possible. It's these people Australia needs to care for the most, and to go through a tough journey, after most likely being cast into huge amounts of debt just to get on the boat, only to be turned away is disgusting.

And it's not as if we're being "overrun" by asylum seekers. Australia only gets about 4500-5000 asylum seekers a year. In America, there are about 100-1000 fence jumpers from Mexico in a day.

But, how about this. Let's close our borders to everyone. How about YOU go work in the convenient stores and fast food places that these people are willing to work in just to get by on the same pay. Go ahead. I dare you.

Otacon2009

HSC

I can't help but to notice those who complain that immigrants are only coming here are the ones who are more than happy (or have been) living off welfare themselves to fuel their diet of pot, cigarettes and alcohol even if it meant living in one rental flophouse after the next. I can't prove the demographic of a racist, but I know a pocket where that is best described as Boganville and the satellite city as only having welfare recipients and defence force residents. Boganville is about a 45 minute drive from Darwin and despite leaving the area after 8 years and returning to it recently, nothing has changed. There more people than teeth. They are also increadibly racist. Dropping down to pub and deciphering their almost incoherant grunting (official language), they are the same people who will live off welfare for life but will say that migrants shouldn't be getting any benifets.

I also welcome everyone to do a course in Australia's Migration History. You will understand what sort of trouble some people go through and why they can't get into a queue like everyone else. However, to do the course, you must do it with an open mind otherwise you will think the education system is full of left wing loonies who want to push their own agenda.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Ideologically, I support immigration.

However, when we already have >100k homeless, thousands of people out of work, diminishing water supplies, and the fact that refugees cost so much money to the already overburdened taxpayer, then I think it's only resonable to suggest that some stricter limits be imposed.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

if we accept refugee's, other countries will see that we're accepting, then more ppl will come, then more of our taxpayer money goes into supporting them.

unless we're a perfect country with a perfect educational system, perfect medical system, perfect government, perfect everything, we shouldnt accept these illegal immigrants.

not even if there was a 9 year old begging us to.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

Why is it worse for a refugee to claim welfare than any other citizen?

Why does being born here make you more deserving of assistance than any other individual?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

Because this is our country, not theirs. They came here, then our money is needed to support them. They dont have a job and get all this money per week for basic necessities.

I was thinking about this whole illegal immigrant/boat ppl issue the other day.
If I were to own a house and have a family, then a hobo knocks on my door and asks to move in because his current living conditions are fucked, i'd feel sorry for him, and i'd want to help out.
If i accepted him into my house, i'd have to pay for his food, extra toiletries, extra living expenses, etc.
THEN other hobo's would see that ive accepted him into my house, then they'd ask to stay over my place too.

Kinda that, but very large scale.
Like i said before, we dont have a perfect country with a perfect education system, perfect medical system, 0% unemployment, 0% debt, and perfect government.
We should use our money to better our own country first.
(this is HALF A BILLION DOLLARS that's been spent on refugee's in the past 2 years, a lot could've been done to better our own country with that money)

If we accept 1 boat of ppl, and reject another, they'd complain as to why we accepted the others. Maybe a fight will break out, then different ppl would get blamed.

The blame goes to the leaders of the countries that ppl are getting away from, but this doesnt mean we should accept them (boat ppl) when we need to spend a lot of our own money just to give them basic necessities.

It sounds harsh, i know, but basically.. charity begins at home.

Last edited:
HSC

Australia's stance is: Sure, we'll let them in, but they have to go through the proper channels, first. And a lot of refugees do. But, if you were being persecuted in your country, it is highly unlikely you would have access to visa applications forms, etc, etc. So you get out of there by any means possible, as quickly as possible. It's these people Australia needs to care for the most, and to go through a tough journey, after most likely being cast into huge amounts of debt just to get on the boat, only to be turned away is disgusting.
Australia does turn away refugees when they are found outside of our borders. It's only when they come inside our borders that we are bound (by their human rights) to keep them.

And it's not as if we're being "overrun" by asylum seekers. Australia only gets about 4500-5000 asylum seekers a year. In America, there are about 100-1000 fence jumpers from Mexico in a day.
Yes and won't you take a look at America's economic status. Their recession has caused virtually the entire world to follow suit.

I for one support the refugees that come to live in Australia, but they're using up too much of our money. I mean, find some alternative, maybe give them less money or create a money lending program.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

I for one support the refugees that come to live in Australia, but they're using up too much of our money. I mean, find some alternative, maybe give them less money or create a money lending program.
this.

HSC
Uni Grad

Australia must stop taking in refugees. Come to Australia legally or not at all.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

Aren't the problems you've indentified, problems with all welfare recipients?

All these incentives that are created to give free money and accommodation to immigrants equally apply to born citizens. They will equally be exploited by born citizens taking advantage of these systems and living off the hard work of others.

Why is a born citizen living off the dole better than an immigrant doing so?

The welfare system is the problem.

banco55

HSC

I really don't see long term how the current worldwide refugee system is sustainable. The big refugee flows to the West only started in the 70's. Now every time there's a conflict in one of these over populated third world shithole the result is thousands of refugees who want to go to one of about a dozen countries (Australia, UK, France, US, Canada, Belgium, Sweden etc.).

Look at the Tamils right next door is India where Tamils aren't persecuted yet they head all the way to Australia because Australia isn't a third world country like India.

HSC
Uni Grad

I really don't see long term how the current worldwide refugee system is sustainable. The big refugee flows to the West only started in the 70's. Now every time there's a conflict in one of these over populated third world shithole the result is thousands of refugees who want to go to one of about a dozen countries (Australia, UK, France, US, Canada, Belgium, Sweden etc.).

Look at the Tamils right next door is India where Tamils aren't persecuted yet they head all the way to Australia because Australia isn't a third world country like India.
Yep

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC

Once again, the problem is obviously the welfare state.

People would not want to come to Australia without welfare, free education, free healthcare ect unless they were prepared to work hard.

If they are prepared to work hard, we should be welcoming them with open arms.

I can already pre-empt the usual nonsense people will bring up about overcrowding. If too many people come, the price of land will rise and immigration flows will slow as people look for cheaper places to live. These rising property prices will of course be a huge boon to people who currently live in Australia who own property, or have shares in many companies or who have superannuation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)