Related Marterial - important! (1 Viewer)

Gummy_bear

HSC
For anyone looking to do 'castaway' as a related piece, it is on TV, friday the 25th on channel 9, starting at 8:30.
I suggest you all tape it so you dont have to spend money renting it all the time ^^

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Thx for the reminder Gummy bear, I'm sure to tape it as you recommended :D

P

pLuvia

I got the movie hehe :) But thanks Gummy Bear :), Oh yeh Riviet I decided to do Cast Away after all hehe :D

namdog

HSC
is anyone willing to give me some Cast Away notes????

Riviet

HSC
N/A
namdog, if you use msn, PM your email to me, and we can analyse it together, kadlil's in it too.
If anyone has notes on cast away, feel free to offer them to us. Greatly appreciated. :)

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
im doing Cast Away too :) ne1 care to pm me with some notes?? i'd greatly appreciate it.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Hey people,

I did castaway for my relate material for journeys too. i also did the book gulliver's travels. all my notes were hand written, but i'll jot down a few points, techniques and quotes...here goes:

[hide]
Techniques:

*Close camera angles when tom hanks shows extreme emotions, esp when he talks to wilson and when he cries and when he keeps looking at his locket, these close camera shots show his emotions in a more inimate manner, allowing us as responders to see his sentiments.

*There is also a small glow around his face when he's really really happy, like when he made that fire, he has a huge glow in his face (NB: not coz if the fire, its a technique). He yells out..."thank you god! I...I...I made fire! yes...I.."etc..that glow shows his happiness in a greater depth and shows how much joy he finds from these small things; his journey has deprived him of the greater things we find happiness in, which is why he becomes a minimalist.

*Wide range shot when he reaches the top of that mountain to get something, can't remember what it was, but the long shot shows his majestic victory, he managed toi climb up and sorta 'succeed in his quest' sorta thing..the scenery also adds to it.

*after four years, he's shown standing on a rock at the shore throwing a stick to catch a fish, he's portrayed as a literal savage, which is the opposite of what he was when he first came to the island. this is due to what the journey has given him, and what its shown him, he's become this way, because it was the one way in which he could survive. he eats the raw fish, it looks disgusting, but its the brutal truth that its what his journey is all about.

other quotes:

can't remember all of them exactly, but roughly:

-"they think that I am right here, but we're a 100 miles squared east, that's a search area of 500,000 square miles. That's twice the size of texas! (gasp)". This shows that even though he's completely lost in an unknown territory, he still has the ability to think outside the square, and think about how he can head off, he also makes maps and draws things in the cave to help him somehow sail off at the right time and in the right direction and in the right weather so he can sail home on that raft.

-"Im sorry wilson! Im sorry!" shows his extreme sentimentalism towards a thing like a football due to his lack of civilisation.

-"I should have never gotten on that plane"...regrets of what happaned, and regretting losing his one love (Helen Hunt).

-"I'd rather take a chance out there in the ocean, than to stay here and die!"...he gets frustrated here, talking to his ball, thinking that he's like a thing that wants to drive him away from getting off the island.

-"The end of a man's journey, will become the beginning of his life"....its in the official trailer, dunno if it might be useful, but hey, it has the word journey in it!! lol

Relations to journeys:

*Inner journey- he literally goes through an inner trauma by being deprived of everything he knows in his life. He's completely alone, has no one to talk to, he goes though emotional distress. This journey allows him to somehow cleanse his inner self, and it changes him completely, his thinking etc..

*Imaginative Journey: his imagination literally runs wild. he has nothing better to do, literally, so he comes up with the most amazing things to make his lifestyle better and better, like for example building a home from scratch, finding that cave, mastering fishing using simply a STICK, making simple utensils to use in daily life and mainly, making a fire. This imagination gets better every day in his journey and it improves his journey as it goes on. his situation may not be the best, but he makes the best of it through his imagination, and also obviously his common sense and thinking.

*Physical- obviously, its physically all happenning to him, he's stranded on an island for 4 years to fend for himself and survive on what he can find. This physical journey also has an effect on him, he changes and tranforms into a completely different person as a result of the process of this journey.

guys, hope that helped....its all i can remember.[/hide]

Last edited:

Spo

HSC
Escher paintings are good for imaginataive journey
So is the picture book or movie The Polar Express by Chris Van Alsberg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)