Related texts for emotional journeys (1 Viewer)

BoredofBoredofS

HSC
N/A
I've been given an assignment for Yr 11 English to find two related texts, film and short story/poem that relate to our class novel, which is Atonement. For those who don't know, Atonement is a book about the emotional Journey of guilt, and towards redemption. Do you guys have any suggestions? I feel like the tell tale heart would be a good choice for short story, as it is too a journey of guilt, but am unsure.

Thx in Advance!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
The first one film I thought of is Les Miserables. Other good films to look at are often those with buildungsroman as a thematic concern, as they track the maturation of individuals, so like Perks of Being a Wallflower is a related text I did in year 11.
Poets to look at...I think Sylvia Plath has rather emotive poetry. T.S. Eliot is quite good as well. (Although they can be considered "overused")

Even if your prescribed text is about a redemptive journey based on guilt, it would be better to branch out to different emotional journeys because it displays you can look at a wider range of emotive journeys that can be about maturation, eventual disintegration, or even a lack of emotional journey. Don't confine yourself to look at texts just about guilt :)

BoredofBoredofS

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the response! I was wondering what criteria one would use to determine a related text; you said that the related text doesn't have to be about guilt, so does it mean that for something to be a related text they really only have to have the smallest of similarities, or share similar themes? Could you even base the related text off similar writing style, etc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)