=Related Texts= (1 Viewer)

TAZ33

HSC
I really need something cleared up coz its scaring me.

I recently heard that if the question says AT LEAST ONE related text in its wording, then to do one only meets the requirements of a satisfactory level. Hence the marker can only give you an average mark.

To get higher bands, I heard that u have to do 2 or more, but the problem is that this will impact heavily on the essay as my prescribed text will not be written about well, which defeats the purpose of doing more texts anyway.

Is this really true?

stupid deceptive wording....

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
TAZ33 said:
I really need something cleared up coz its scaring me.

I recently heard that if the question says AT LEAST ONE related text in its wording, then to do one only meets the requirements of a satisfactory level. Hence the marker can only give you an average mark.

To get higher bands, I heard that u have to do 2 or more, but the problem is that this will impact heavily on the essay as my prescribed text will not be written about well, which defeats the purpose of doing more texts anyway.

Is this really true?

stupid deceptive wording....
hmmmm yeah I've been given mixed advice about this. Some people have said if you do one very well, and your prescribed texts, then it shouldn't be a problem. But just making passing references to other texts can help, because it shows a wider range of knowledge and that you have done a lot of research.
But then my English teacher has said you should do two of your own texts, and that needs to be indepth because any less isn't good enough. So I don't know? She also said you shouldn't make passing references. But one thing's for sure, you should have more than one text prepared, so that you can relate either one or both of them to the question.
I guess I could say I'm wondering about this two.

TAZ33

HSC
Thanks Mrs.McDreamy, ill try and get a few other related texts.

If any of u were in this same situation during previous HSC years could you tell us what u did, and how it turned out. I guess it sorta depends on how well you do ur related text, and the views of the marker.

HSC = down to luck?

HSC
N/A
I used the bare minimum required for my year (ie one) and still got a band 6.

* One is fine if you can cover it well. In my opinion this is an extremely good option... particularly if you are also doing EE1 and just can't be stuffed coming up with any more related texts lol

* Choosing two might make you "look" good but if you can't cover them BOTH well in the course of the essay, you are worse off than if you had only picked one. You've only got 40 minutes to write, remember. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

* Passing references should be avoided at all costs. Whilst they might help "pad" your essays, they go straight into the "this student is dumb enough to think that they can look smart by thinking a few lines here and there equals something substantial" basket. Markers aren't as dumb as you think they are!

PS: Make sure you know your prescribed texts well!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The general rule is that two texts are better than one - especially when it says 'at least one' however one text covered well is much better than two that are covered poorly. So if you feel like you have problems doing more than one (as you seem to have expressed above) then stick with your one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)