Relaxation- How do you do it? (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
There always seems to be an abundance of threads asking for effective study methods, while this is very important during the HSC, taking time out to relax is also really important. If your tired, stressed and unhappy, your study/school work will suffer as a result and your marks may not end up being the very best they can possibly be.

Its a well known fact in the workplace that happy, non-stressed workers are more productive, and this applies to students to!

- Excercise is great for releasing tension and reducing stress, try going for walks in the evening while listening to your favourite music, or go with a friend and just have some non-school discussion to bring you back to the real world. Swimming is also great, if you live near a beach this is really easy and fun to.

- Eating the right food can make a difference, while its easy to binge on sugar when studying, try to avoid it, as you will feel like shit after a few hours. Try to eat fish a couple of times a week and plenty of fruits and vegetables, your brain will be able to work for longer periods of time this way. If your a redbull addict/coffee addict, try to switch to tea as you won't get the lethargy that follows lack of caffeine.

- Do something fun that you enjoy at least once a week, doesn't really matter what it is, so long as its non-school related and it makes you happy. I used to go and ride my horse when i could and i always felt much better after.

- If your having one of those 'freak out' moments when you have a lot of work to do in a short amount of time these can help:

* DON'T sit in your room and freak out by yourself, chances are you will only blow the situation out of proportion in your own head and freak out more. Call a friend (the kind who doesn't get hysterical) and talk your way through it, though talking to somone face to face is best.

* Go for a short walk and think it through properly, it will help thing appear clearer and not so scary. If you have a bf/gf handy, make them give you a massage, you will stress less and think better

* When people freak out, they often take short, quick breaths and flood their systems with too much (or not enough) oxygen, which makes them feel dizzy and the situation worse. What you should do is close your eyes, breath deeply in through your nose for 5 seconds, hold the breath for 5 seconds and breathe out through your mouth for 5 seconds. Ensure you are breathing slowly and properly; your stomach inflates when you breathe in not when you breathe out.

- Its important to get proper sleep as well. It can be hard, but aim for 7-9 hours a night. While some people can retain the study they did at 2am, most of us cannot. Remember, the best study is not the longest, but the most effective.

Other ideas to relax and de-stress include:
- Read a (non-school related) book.
- Have a long bath with essential oils like lavender (particularly good after a long study session).
- have a friend give you a massage (or guilt trip your parents into getting you a proper one).
- Play sport.
- listen to chill out music

Thats all i can think of right now, but seriously guys, if you look after yourself during the HSC, it will be a hell of a lot easier.

Please add your own tips for how to de-stress during the HSC :)

EDIT: Remember, during the HSC relaxation time does not = procrastination time!!! Don't feel guilty for it, it's important.

-

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
wow nice post.
i talk to friends on msn.

not sure if that counts as relaxing... procrastination? lulz

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
try learning the topics ahead from school, and always prepare earlier, that way your pretty much on top on everytihng for school and basically straightforward revision after that.

You wont have to worry so much about being behind or trouble understanding as you be able to solve it earlier lol

Also perhaps take up tutoring for confident boost and that will ensure you cover all the essentials
Your sure to be more relaxed with these strategies XD
GL 09'

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Deltan said:
try learning the topics ahead from school, and always prepare earlier, that way your pretty much on top on everytihng for school and basically straightforward revision after that.

You wont have to worry so much about being behind or trouble understanding as you be able to solve it earlier lol

Also perhaps take up tutoring for confident boost and that will ensure you cover all the essentials
Your sure to be more relaxed with these strategies XD
GL 09'
I fully get what you're saying but i really meant non-school relaxtion techniques.

Rainie

HSC
Perhaps try Yoga; it works for some people :)

But I tend to just go swimming or go outside for fresh air for relaxation :lol:

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
-may-cat- said:
I fully get what you're saying but i really meant non-school relaxtion techniques.
well you pretty much covered most of them already =)

aside from that,
try taking vitamin/pills like st john wort's, vitamin B or use bach's remedy rescue which you can spray into your mouth, makes you feel alot calmer

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Deltan said:

aside from that,
try taking vitamin/pills like st john wort's, vitamin B or use bach's remedy rescue which you can spray into your mouth, makes you feel alot calmer
This is good but for those on the contraceptive pill, DON'T TAKE ST JOHNS WORT, it will interfere with your pill.

dp624

HSC
Deltan said:

aside from that,
lol really?
i never used drugs etc

dp624

HSC
yeah i know, but i'd rather not mess with my body chemistry unless i was sick or something.

stress wasn't a major problem for me. but for a lot of ppl around me, it was.

bubblesss

HSC
thanks for the tips -maycat-
u 2008ers are so nice.:D

chatting on msn is always relaxing for me.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Sport is a great outlet. Soccer and tennis helped me have an outlet as did refereeing, guitar and metal music. CRANK THAT SHIT UP

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
Playing piano or guitar for me; always loved playing music. Listening to music also. AND writing music.

Music. xD

katie21792

HSC
what was your topic for ancient? we had a speech worth 10% aswell.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
relaxation eh..thats an easy one, just pull out my math books and start crunching some numbers

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
relaxation eh..thats an easy one, just pull out my math books and start crunching some numbers
o_O

Each to their own....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)