Relevance of context to journeys? (1 Viewer)

pythagakafermat

HSC
How important is a discussion of context for the Area of Study?
Reading the syllabus stuff, it says "[students] take into account whether aspects such as context... are appropriate to the particular text".

How much should we talk about this? Also, how is this linked to "assumptions underlying the representations of journeys"? And what/how much should we say for that?

A l

HSC
N/A
It depends on the text. Usually, it is not that important. For example, the context in Peter Skrzynecki's poetry is Polish migration during post WWII. Usually, the context tells you about the type of journey being undertaken.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
The context isn't 'directly' tied to the concept of Journeys as what the English syllabus seems to indicate. Rather it's a required part that must be integrated into your AOS extended response - Section 3 of your HSC English Journeys paper.

However, as to everything that you study there's always a backdoor. Why not slip the contextual background into your essay as one sentence, yet integrate it together with a specific Skrzynecki poem like the "Crossing the Red Sea". Here, I'll improvise on the spot:

In the poignant poem, "Crossing the Red Sea" Skrzynecki metaphorically alludes to the crossing of moses...bla [include a quote] bla bla...and in the poet's time, the only possible method of transportation was via ships, in which the journey consisted of numerous months, allowing the ship's occupants - Skrzynecki himself included to reflect upon what........

So...as you can see in the above example, not only have provided a contextual overview, but I've intertwined it together with the needed techniques, effects in each paragraph of your essay and a quote. Remember in ANY english essay you must have the text's name, Technique, quote, and effect. If you look more closely in my example, you'll find that my context is also the "assumption underlying the representations of journeys", here my representation is that it allows travellers to reflect on what has happened to their entire life.

Hope this has helped!

pythagakafermat

HSC
Thanks very much. I'll try to use that approach.
So much to fit in in 40 minutes...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)