reliabiliity and vaalidity quesiton (2 Viewers)

azn5reppin

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I understand how to define reliaibility and validiity regarding experiments but how do you define reliability and validity concerning information? For validity is it how qualified the author of the information is? Im rly confused especially about the validity bit and I have an assignment about this due soon

Vision

HSC
I believe the reliability of information is to do with comparing the information to other sources to see if the information matches up/ information is consistent. Reliability would also be to do so with the 'authenticity' of the information, such as sources from textbooks, .edu, .gov, which are generally reliable sources. The qualifications of the author also relates to reliability.

For validity, I think that relates to the relevance of the information to the question.

azn5reppin

HSC
N/A
I believe the reliability of information is to do with comparing the information to other sources to see if the information matches up/ information is consistent. Reliability would also be to do so with the 'authenticity' of the information, such as sources from textbooks, .edu, .gov, which are generally reliable sources. The qualifications of the author also relates to reliability.

For validity, I think that relates to the relevance of the information to the question.
Thanks thats really helpful. One more thing im stuck on is that im confused whether how up to date a source/information is relates to validity or reliability? So if a source was upsated yesterday be more reliable or more valid than a similar source/information that was updated, say 20 yrs ago and has different information?

Vision

HSC
Thanks thats really helpful. One more thing im stuck on is that im confused whether how up to date a source/information is relates to validity or reliability? So if a source was upsated yesterday be more reliable or more valid than a similar source/information that was updated, say 20 yrs ago and has different information?
Not necessarily, that's dependant on the type of situation. For example, considering the historical concepts of physics - history doesn't exactly change and therefore it doesn't really matter when the site was updated. However, when considering theories it may be more reliable to use a more recent source as there a newer findings, or greater evidence supporting the theory.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The date is just one merit. There are multiple criterion that determine reliability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)