Religion and morality: an illusion? (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
You are a radar detector.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Know what else is an illusion?: the internet.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yay, 19th century grammar!

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Who would win in a three-way battle to the death? Buddha, Muhammed or Jesus?
See, the problem is that Buddha would use the Nirvana Bellyflop to crush his opponents, whereas Jesus would use Confusing Lexicon Laser to make their heads explode whilst Muhammed can just use his Burqa Bag Bomb to trap them and then disintegrate them.
It's a riddle for the ages, to be honest.

Lentern

HSC
Who would win in a three-way battle to the death? Buddha, Muhammed or Jesus?
See, the problem is that Buddha would use the Nirvana Bellyflop to crush his opponents, whereas Jesus would use Confusing Lexicon Laser to make their heads explode whilst Muhammed can just use his Burqa Bag Bomb to trap them and then disintegrate them.
It's a riddle for the ages, to be honest.
I would say Jesus, the Buddha and the Prophet aren't deities.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
I would say Jesus, the Buddha and the Prophet aren't deities.
naw man jebus would be like "guys can't we just talk this out" and Muhammad would just slap jebus silly XD while Buddha is to fucking fat to do anything

Lentern

HSC
naw man jebus would be like "guys can't we just talk this out" and Muhammad would just slap jebus silly XD while Buddha is to fucking fat to do anything
Shakyamuni was not fat, that's just Chinese iconography, you'll find very few older statues or paintings depicting the laughing Buddha.

bazrah

HSC
yeah but those animals in nature dont have a sophisticated brain like us humans do.

i know of sharks who eat their young, but what about chimps? they're like the closest to humans in terms of sophisticated brains (i think) and they dont eat their young, they live in families and stuff.

and as for multiple partners, i'm pretty animals dont feel "love" or the need for 1 partner, lol.

u cant really compare humans to other animals in the wild, because our brains work in totally different ways.

i think he means OUR biology, as in the history of the human race since before the religious books were revealed.
The great ape argument is really illogical and I don't know why people are actually attempting to use it to support their argument. Great apes are not marijuana smoking hippies which just love all other apes and have cuddles and tea parties all day. The grade of social interaction between great apes is way below us and in reality not really that much higher than other family based animals such as lions. Chimpanzees are highly aggressive and have been known to kill other chimps. They have been known to rape and also to kill young to free up females for reproduction. This talk of apes being peace-loving hippie monkeys which somehow demonstrate a link to why humans have managed to develop peaceful social interactions is just silly.

HSC
If someone really wanted to talk about brain sophistication and social values, I think dolphins would be a much better comparison for their argument.

Dolphins often live in large social groups, and they also move from one pod to another. They often act in an altruistic way for both pod members and humans - helping the injured or ill to reach the surface to breathe.

However, acts of aggression are well documented too. So they aren't peace loving hippies either.

Scorch

HSC
morality doesn't exist
It is a human construction, yes. Beneficial and counter-productive actions, in terms of society and utilitarianism, exist, and it is this complex relationship between biological reality and human thought that resulted in the ideologies of morality that inhabit thought up to today.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Religion is devoid of morality from what I've seen of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)