Religions/values? (1 Viewer)

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Ok, im going to put this here in the hope that someone studies Japanese culture as well as the language. I have a hospo assignment...i need to plan a dinner for exchange students and oficials. I already know the dominant religions are Buddhism and Shinto (which follows the practices of Confucianism).

I was just wondering what some of their beliefs are in relation to this. For example i know that many Bhuddists are vegetarian and arent permitted to drink alcohol.

Any help would be absolutely awesome!! Thank you so much (in advance)

Gaki

HSC
as far as i no most japanese people arent that religious, and they do like their alcohol. so i'd say you can prepare anything, as long as its not too exotic, because i dont think they like really hot (spicy) food too much.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
open up a japanese cook book
and see what kind of stuff they make
u dont have to necessarily make japanese food
but you cna tell what they are big on..
etc...
apparent.y..they love vegemite on bread and butter
my sister had japanese exchange students and they served them that and they couldnt stop eating it
but i dunno if vegemite on toast will go down well

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, most Japanese people observe traditions without really subscribing to the faiths. This means that though they'll get married at a shinto shrine and have their funeral at a buddhist temple, they won't really observe vegetarianism or abstinence from alcohol.

Regarding food, in my experience Japanese appreciate it more if you try to give them a taste of your OWN culture rather than simply giving them theirs. Think about it...would you go to Japan just to eat barbecued shrimp?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)