Removal of Conics from Syllabus (1 Viewer)

dRscarf

HSC
I heard they're removing conics from the 4U syllabus from next year and replacing it with statistics.
Apparently they've wanted to remove it for some time...
Anyone else heard of it?

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
yeah ive heard that their changing the maths course for 2,3 and 4 unit maths. But man statistics sounds so fuckin boring

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
rparjf022 said:
I heard they're removing conics from the 4U syllabus from next year and replacing it with statistics.
Anyone else heard of it?
It's apparently two years later, not next year.

vds700

HSC
ive also heard they might be removing some circular motion stuff like conical pendulum. We've finished mechanics and conical pendulum seems to be the hardest part of that topic (in my opinion).

Personally, I hate conics, so im glad to see it might be gooing. Maybe statistics at a 4 unit level might prepare u better for maths at uni than conics, i dunno...

conics2008

HSC
If they remove conics, i wont be called Conics2008, I dont see why you guys hate that topic, it just like locus, its was just a piece of cake... I agree that topic is full of shit, but its a cool topic.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I actually dont mind conics once you get over trying to work our what the questions are asking.

I think statistics will be more relevant for students who want to do maths or actuarial studies in uni

cccclaire

HSC
midifile said:
I actually dont mind conics once you get over trying to work our what the questions are asking.

I think statistics will be more relevant for students who want to do maths or actuarial studies in uni
yeh but what about those kids who want to draw ellipses or hyperbolas at uni? How will statistics help them?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
cccclaire said:
yeh but what about those kids who want to draw ellipses or hyperbolas at uni? How will statistics help them?
Lol, just lol.

sicmacao

HSC
rparjf022 said:
Anyone else heard of it?
Statistics will only be studied in the 2U preliminary. for more info check out www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au

For 4U, they removed conics and replaced by differential equations. Also they replaced harder 3unit topics by one topic (inequalility which means there will not be killer geometry questions in the future 4unit paper). Even more alarming is that geometry is completely removed from the 2U course while in the 3U course, students are still expected to learn circle geometry.

In the past in 2U level, students were asked to check
if y = sin x is a solution to
y'' + y = 0

Now in the new 4U, students have to find a solution to differential equation such as y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0. i.e. find f(x) such that y=f(x) satisfies y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0.

You may check that y=e^(-3x) is a solution to the above. Students will be taught techniques to solve these type of questions in the new 4U course.

In fact solving differential equations are not completely new in the NSW maths syllabus. In many 3U textbook in particular the fitzpatrick book), a proof is given for the solution to the differential equation y'= k(y-p).

Also in mechanics, many problems were in fact about solving first order differential equations.

sicmacao

HSC
midifile said:

Probably one of the reason why statistics is included in the new 2U syllabus is that there is a current national shortage for statistician, it is hoped that more students may see the relevance of statistics in solving many real life problems which may attract more students choosing statistics as their career.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
HELLPPPPPP! I hate Statistics :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

If im in year 10 currently, would these changes affect my mathematics courses for year 11 and 12?

vds700

HSC
sicmacao said:
Statistics will only be studied in the 2U preliminary. for more info check out www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au

For 4U, they removed conics and replaced by differential equations. Also they replaced harder 3unit topics by one topic (inequalility which means there will not be killer geometry questions in the future 4unit paper). Even more alarming is that geometry is completely removed from the 2U course while in the 3U course, students are still expected to learn circle geometry.

In the past in 2U level, students were asked to check
if y = sin x is a solution to
y'' + y = 0

Now in the new 4U, students have to find a solution to differential equation such as y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0. i.e. find f(x) such that y=f(x) satisfies y'' + 4y' + 3y = 0.

You may check that y=e^(-3x) is a solution to the above. Students will be taught techniques to solve these type of questions in the new 4U course.

In fact solving differential equations are not completely new in the NSW maths syllabus. In many 3U textbook in particular the fitzpatrick book), a proof is given for the solution to the differential equation y'= k(y-p).

Also in mechanics, many problems were in fact about solving first order differential equations.
no conics or circle geometry. damn i wish i was doing that new course :(

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Wow then the syllabus is rigorously changed then...
Statistics in 2U, removal of geometry :|
I don't think I would enjoy statistics
It was pretty boring in Year 8 haha
Then again, my perception might change if it gets more complicated such as finding something different from the range/mode/mean

Differential equations sound interesting

ashik1

HSC
rparjf022 said:
Anyone else heard of it?
holy cow, r u sure, farrrrrrrrrr out, im doing 4u maths dis year. i coulda done statistics instead.
Well, at least one thing is 4 sure, all the 4u kids next yr are screwed cos when they do past exams, there wont be any 'statistics' questions and the 'conics' questions will be useless:vcross:

vds700

HSC
ashik1 said:
holy cow, r u sure, farrrrrrrrrr out, im doing 4u maths dis year. i coulda done statistics instead.
Well, at least one thing is 4 sure, all the 4u kids next yr are screwed cos when they do past exams, there wont be any 'statistics' questions and the 'conics' questions will be useless:vcross:
yes thats a good point... at least we have stacks of psat papers we can do + heaps of books, notes etc

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
Are you doing them accelerated (ie this year?)
Yeh, i will be starting 4U at the start of the 4th term next year, will i be affected?

sicmacao

HSC
ronnknee said:
Wow then the syllabus is rigorously changed then...
Statistics in 2U, removal of geometry :|
I don't think I would enjoy statistics
It was pretty boring in Year 8 haha
Then again, my perception might change if it gets more complicated such as finding something different from the range/mode/mean

Differential equations sound interesting
Statisics definitely get more complicated in the new 2Unit course. One of the topics taught is correlation and regression. Regression will be a very useful subject. It is known that 2 points determines a line. However what if there are 7 points on the coordinate plane but they don't lie on the same line. We find the line of best fit. Many data in real life needs to be model by line of best fit. This will allow us to make simple prediction about the future.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
sicmacao said:
However what if there are 7 points on the coordinate plane but they don't lie on the same line. We find the line of best fit.
line of best fit! We learn that stuff in year 8 science!

HSC
N/A
There is a meeting next Tuesday to be held by the NSW/ACT Independent Education Union at 4.30pm-5.30pm at the IEU Head Office at 176-182 Day St, Sydney. Members of the Board of Studies Mathematics Curriculum Committee will be present to receive a submission from the IEU which will be based on discussions and contributions by those attending the meeting.

I'm going to the meeting. What would you like me to say to them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)