• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Repeating before getting results back. (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

i'm doing maths a year ahead, but i'm still not sure whether i'll keep my 2U/3U mark or repeat, or do 4U.

how am i meant to make the decision to repeat or not if i haven;t got my hsc results back by term 4??

gman03

HSC
What you mean by repeating 2U/3U? The hsc exam or what??? If you are going to do the HSC exams this year then you have another year to decide whether you should repeat the exam....

I have no comments if you refered as 4U english, but for 4U maths you should consider picking it for yr 12.

kpq_sniper017

Estel said:
repeat, and drop if necessary.
yea, i was considering that.
however, i guess i'll have to study hard since i'll have two assessments in one day (one for 2U and one for 3U)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
consider 4U and drop if 2U mark is good?
since either way you'll have to work.

kpq_sniper017

for now, i'm only talking about term 4. coz in term 4 we have hsc assessments, but we haven't actually got our hsc exam results back yet.

but if my 2U mark is good, i'll keep it but also try 4U. if i stuff up 4U, i'll revert back to my 2U mark and stick with 3U.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
You were in the same seat as me. i was an accelerant, but i accelerated both in ME1 and ME2. I had no intention to repeat, but my progress in ME2 deserved repeating. I worked myself towards the end of the year to finish ME1 and get that out of the way before i would change schools (i changed schools in year 12). In the end, i got 83 for ME1, which is not what i personally want, but is a good mark to keep. At my new school, i didnt attend class untill i felt comfortable to join. I learnt everything again while in waiting for my marks to come back. there is no harm in you doing the assesments again, you may find, like me, that you are doing alot better-it should get you into the habit of studying and should help you further for ME1 and ME2. A you said above, you can always start on 4 unit, and if you dont like then drop it. there is no harm at all in giving everything a try-i highly reccomend that after HSC exams (because mainstream year 12 would have not started their maths assesments yet) you should attend class. from then until the end of term, there will only be one assessment. Your diligence and studying capability will be shown when you acheive your good marks through good time management :)

kpq_sniper017

kimmeh said:
You were in the same seat as me. i was an accelerant, but i accelerated both in ME1 and ME2. I had no intention to repeat, but my progress in ME2 deserved repeating. I worked myself towards the end of the year to finish ME1 and get that out of the way before i would change schools (i changed schools in year 12). In the end, i got 83 for ME1, which is not what i personally want, but is a good mark to keep. At my new school, i didnt attend class untill i felt comfortable to join. I learnt everything again while in waiting for my marks to come back. there is no harm in you doing the assesments again, you may find, like me, that you are doing alot better-it should get you into the habit of studying and should help you further for ME1 and ME2. A you said above, you can always start on 4 unit, and if you dont like then drop it. there is no harm at all in giving everything a try-i highly reccomend that after HSC exams (because mainstream year 12 would have not started their maths assesments yet) you should attend class. from then until the end of term, there will only be one assessment. Your diligence and studying capability will be shown when you acheive your good marks through good time management :)
i would have until after the trials (before the school submits the marks to the BOS) to decide whether to retain my previous mark or take a new one wouldn't i?
coz at least that'd give me some time to think about it.
if i got ext 1 out of the way that'd be great. although it might be tough considering that the guys i'm up against range from bone lazy to extremely intelligent :) - and its unlikely that the lazy guys will actually pick up and do well (hence possibly dragging me down).

there's also ext 2 english to consider. but there's only a slim chance that i would do it. like u said, i should take up all opportunities. so i guess i will repeat, check out my mark and try out ext 2 as well.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
i would have until after the trials (before the school submits the marks to the BOS) to decide whether to retain my previous mark or take a new one wouldn't i?.
yhat is correct-even if you did decide to drop it, you have nothing to lose
pcx_demolition017 said:
if i got ext 1 out of the way that'd be great. although it might be tough considering that the guys i'm up against range from bone lazy to extremely intelligent :) - and its unlikely that the lazy guys will actually pick up and do well (hence possibly dragging me down).
that will happen anywhere you go. thats what happened with me. i was really worried because the majority of poeple bludged, but there was like 2 genius' that no one could ever beat. eventually, it even out-trust me. i ded up being in the top quarter of the grade, without bludging, but working hard.
pcx_demolition017 said:
there's also ext 2 english to consider. but there's only a slim chance that i would do it. like u said, i should take up all opportunities. so i guess i will repeat, check out my mark and try out ext 2 as well.
there is no harm in trying. i think E2 english is nothing, honestly. You have alot more freedom with your work-there arent any strict guidelines you have to foolow, all you have to do is reproduce a major work and like a "progress journal". Ive read some E2 major works and some of them arent sophisticated as what i thought they would be. i'm sure if you're a commited student (which i assume you are), then dont let anything get in your way :)

kpq_sniper017

kimmeh said:
yhat is correct-even if you did decide to drop it, you have nothing to lose
that will happen anywhere you go. thats what happened with me. i was really worried because the majority of poeple bludged, but there was like 2 genius' that no one could ever beat. eventually, it even out-trust me. i ded up being in the top quarter of the grade, without bludging, but working hard.
there is no harm in trying. i think E2 english is nothing, honestly. You have alot more freedom with your work-there arent any strict guidelines you have to foolow, all you have to do is reproduce a major work and like a "progress journal". Ive read some E2 major works and some of them arent sophisticated as what i thought they would be. i'm sure if you're a commited student (which i assume you are), then dont let anything get in your way :)
thx for the advice :)

i must be in a similar situation to where u were in accel. maths. there are two guys in year 12 (year ahead of me who are ex-accelerants) who are basically unbeatable in ext 1. they came 1st/3rd in 2U last year. as for the rest of the guys i'm up against.....there are a few who provide a lot of competition and make it tough to maintain a good rank, while the rest are pretty much bludgers (majority) or people who work hard but can't understand some of the concepts (minority).

as for ext 2 english....do u know where i can find some past projects? coz i'd really like to have a look at some for examples of the level of sophistication/complexity that i'd have to achieve to do well in it (if i do it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)