Resit accelerated course? (1 Viewer)

HSC
aw thank you!! Yess I think I'll just do a practice paper a fortnight, does that sound like a good amount? I did about the same last year, so I think that will be a good way to remember the content etc. do you think that would be enough?
If you stick to it that will be plenty. I wish I did that many when I did the HSC and I still ended up with a good mark; you'll ace it for sure :D

egal

HSC
If you stick to it that will be plenty. I wish I did that many when I did the HSC and I still ended up with a good mark; you'll ace it for sure :D
Ah I'm really not sure! I did that for all of last year, but close to double that amount in the holidays and I still only got 89... I don't know if it was me or the glandular fever :/

HSC
Ah I'm really not sure! I did that for all of last year, but close to double that amount in the holidays and I still only got 89... I don't know if it was me or the glandular fever :/
This is good; it is important to identify where you went wrong last time to avoid it happening again. You say you did all that study and still weren't able to reach your goal? If that is the case, it is likely that some bad luck on the day, coupled with your illness dragged you down. If such a thing were to occur again, I suggest not hesitating in getting an Illness/Misadventure Form.

On the other hand, was it perhaps the quality of the services offered at your school and/or an inexperienced teacher? My honest advice in this instance would be to find an Ancient History tutor, even a past HSC student from recent years to help you with your work. I know they're very difficult to come by and may be expensive but trust me, if they're good it will be well worth it.

My situation was a bit similar to yours except that it was with Business Studies. I was good at it, but was still falling short of the high goals I set myself. Some people think that getting tutoring when you're already doing well is a waste but I strongly disagree. In my case, it helped me improve my understanding significantly and always kept the subject ticking in the back of my mind which certainly led to a better mark for me in the HSC.

Finally, it may be that you've set yourself a goal that is just too high. An ATAR of 98.5 is no joke; only a few thousand people achieve or exceed it, if that. Is this a personal goal you've set for yourself or a specific ATAR you need to achieve in order to get into your preferred course?

I say again, until you localise the reasons for falling short, redoing the course is pointless IMHO. Once this is done however, I have no doubt that your determination and drive will see to the rest. :)

Last edited:

egal

HSC
This is good; it is important to identify where you went wrong last time to avoid it happening again. You say you did all that study and still weren't able to reach your goal? If that is the case, it is likely that some bad luck on the day, coupled with your illness dragged you down. If such a thing were to occur again, I suggest not hesitating in getting an Illness/Misadventure Form.

On the other hand, was it perhaps the quality of the services offered at your school and/or an inexperienced teacher? My honest advice in this instance would be to find an Ancient History tutor, even a past HSC student from recent years to help you with your work. I know they're very difficult to come by and may be expensive but trust me, if they're good it will be well worth it.

My situation was a bit similar to yours except that it was with Business Studies. I was good at it, but was still falling short of the high goals I set myself. Some people think that getting tutoring when you're already doing well is a waste but I strongly disagree. In my case, it helped me improve my understanding significantly and always kept the subject ticking in the back of my mind which certainly led to a better mark for me in the HSC.

Finally, it may be that you've set yourself a goal that is just too high. An ATAR of 98.5 is no joke; only a few thousand people achieve or exceed it, if that. Is this a personal goal you've set for yourself or a specific ATAR you need to achieve in order to get into your preferred course?

I say again, until you localise the reasons for falling short, redoing the course is pointless IMHO. Once this is done however, I have no doubt that your determination and drive will see to the rest. :)
My ancient history teacher is a HSC marker and had a senior marker to come in and mark trials (which were about the same difficulty) so I don't think it's that. I was 10% ahead of 2nd place in trials and I got 96.. Then second improved a mark in HSC and got 87 so I think it was me on the day. I had also predicted about 75% of the questions correctly but for the 6 weeks leading up to it, I was just so fuzzy and couldnt be out for more than 3 hours at a time, although I did feel a bit better on the day.

Regarding the ATAR, it's what I need to get into uni in the UK because A-levels don't translate all that well. If I don't achieve this however I'm applying for the dual degree between sciences Po in France and Sydney Uni and the cut off to apply is 82.5 which is definitely achievable.

I'll look into a tutor though. I have ordered my raw marks to see where I went wrong in the exam. I'm curious to see what it was.

Thanks so much for your advice :)

HSC
My ancient history teacher is a HSC marker and had a senior marker to come in and mark trials (which were about the same difficulty) so I don't think it's that. I was 10% ahead of 2nd place in trials and I got 96.. Then second improved a mark in HSC and got 87 so I think it was me on the day. I had also predicted about 75% of the questions correctly but for the 6 weeks leading up to it, I was just so fuzzy and couldnt be out for more than 3 hours at a time, although I did feel a bit better on the day.

Regarding the ATAR, it's what I need to get into uni in the UK because A-levels don't translate all that well. If I don't achieve this however I'm applying for the dual degree between sciences Po in France and Sydney Uni and the cut off to apply is 82.5 which is definitely achievable.

I'll look into a tutor though. I have ordered my raw marks to see where I went wrong in the exam. I'm curious to see what it was.

Thanks so much for your advice :)
It sounds like you have everything figured out and are taking steps to rectify the situation; this bodes well for your future! :D

Good luck and happy hunting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)