Ridiculous Dentistry Clearly-in at La Trobe University. Any verification? MUST LOOK! (1 Viewer)

lifequest

HSC
While the VTAC website quoted a "fringe" of 94.6, I would assume the fringe is due to a rural student being offered a place at "94.6".
The clearly-in enter was not displayed.

I have a friend a year younger who was very hopeful she would get into Dentistry either at Melbourne or La Trobe. She achieved an outstanding 99.65. After first round, she was NOT offered Dentistry at EITHER University.
Instead she got her 3rd Preference of Optometry at Melb.

This indicates that La Trobe's clearly in rose from 98.8 ('08 entry) to at LEAST 99.70 ('09).

Can anyone share some light on this?
Comments would be interesting as well.

I want to find out if this could be a mistake, if someone here was given a first round offer (and didn't have SEAS or from a Rural locality) with an ENTER below 99.65, let me know!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Re: Ridiculous Dentistry Clearly-in at La Trobe University. Any verification? MUST LO

Hmm... yeah it sounds dodgy, or that there was a serious miscalculation going on over at LaTrobe.

lifequest

HSC
Re: Ridiculous Dentistry Clearly-in at La Trobe University. Any verification? MUST LO

Hmm... yeah it sounds dodgy, or that there was a serious miscalculation going on over at LaTrobe.
I really hope so, I just need some evidence to help my friend make a dispute with VTAC/La Trobe. We've called them both and they won't release the clearly-in ENTER.

groovydude

HSC

Hey lifequest

Called Latrobe..and the lady told me that the enter has risen to 99.7. I know a person who got 99.15 and didn't get in this year either. She also said that they are going to 2nd rounds to determine the rest of the placements.

So hope that helps. I think ur friend will def get a 2nd round offer with 99.65

EDIT: also, as mentioned on the latrobe website, they have increased the rural quota (RRMA3-7 ONLY) - i think rural students get a nice bonus of ~10 pts.

Last edited:

piitb

HSC

dont cry, maybe you havent heard about the dental shortage in rural areas.

they basically fill up places with rural students first, they prob have quota/objective of at least 90% needing to be rural.

sorry its just too bad, yous guys prob woulndt go to a rural uninversity if not for thier dentistry program, but expect to be given preference or feel agreived when they choose to pick rural students over city students.

they get thier funding from the government to address the medical skill shortage in rural areas, not to provide a place for city students who cant get a place in the city unis to go to a rural uni

p.s i know rural students getting into dentistry with GPA of over 4.5 and Medicine with GPA of 5.0

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A

they basically fill up places with rural students first, they prob have quota/objective of at least 90% needing to be rural.
That's a good point, I forgot about the rural cohort...

piitb

HSC

if the criteria was UAI alone, the 99% of the students who would get in would be city students.

yet 0% of those city students will go on to practice in a rural area (not long term anyway)

so what would la trobe a regional univeristy done for regional health care?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A

How does an engineering student at UTS, majoring in Jihad and Bomb Explosives know about dentistry at La Trobe?

piitb

HSC

want to get into dentistry for advanced torture techniques

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A

want to get into dentistry for advanced torture techniques
I see. Here's an obligatory cheap terrorist dentist joke:

Weapons of Mass-ticatory Destruction.

Joel8945

HSC

While the VTAC website quoted a "fringe" of 94.6, I would assume the fringe is due to a rural student being offered a place at "94.6".
The clearly-in enter was not displayed.

I have a friend a year younger who was very hopeful she would get into Dentistry either at Melbourne or La Trobe. She achieved an outstanding 99.65. After first round, she was NOT offered Dentistry at EITHER University.
Instead she got her 3rd Preference of Optometry at Melb.

This indicates that La Trobe's clearly in rose from 98.8 ('08 entry) to at LEAST 99.70 ('09).

Can anyone share some light on this?
Comments would be interesting as well.

I want to find out if this could be a mistake, if someone here was given a first round offer (and didn't have SEAS or from a Rural locality) with an ENTER below 99.65, let me know!
That is a great ENTER that she got, but, how did her UMAT go?

piitb

HSC

I see. Here's an obligatory cheap terrorist dentist joke:

Weapons of Mass-ticatory Destruction.

**crickets chirping

lionking1191

HSC

That is a great ENTER that she got, but, how did her UMAT go?
LaTrobe doesn't consider UMAT i dont htink

lifequest

HSC

LaTrobe doesn't consider UMAT i dont htink
That's correct. UMAT is not a criteria for LA Trobe Dentistry.

I feel lucky that I graduated in '07 for 08' entry! Fringe was only 98.55 (and I got 98.55) LOL!
JUST MADE the fringe.

groovydude

HSC

hey ther lifequest, did your friend make it through?

This is what i've heard - Round 1 cutoff: 99.7
Round 2 cutoff: 99.3

lifequest

HSC

Technically there is no set round 2 cut off, since other things such as individual subject scores (i.e. 50 VCE-study for chem or any pre-req), are taken into account.

Have the 2nd round offers been released? I haven't heard from my friend yet.
I'm sure she'll be thrilled and tell me straight away if she did make it though!

*fingers still crossed*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)