Robert Fisk lecture (1 Viewer)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Hmm...this is actually a really big deal that we have him speaking at MQ...even if it is him plugging his new book.

Hehe, I like how this slotted in nicely in this post-subforum age...

---

Robert Fisk to give public lecture at Macquarie University
February 20, 2006

On March 10, bestselling British author and journalist Robert Fisk will give a free public lecture at Macquarie University based on his latest book, The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East.

Fisk, based in Beirut as Middle East correspondent for The Independent, has lived in the Middle East for almost three decades and holds more British and international journalism awards than any other foreign correspondent, including the British Press Awards’ International Journalist of the Year award seven times. He has been described by the New York Times as “probably the most famous foreign correspondent in Britain”, while the Financial Times calls him “one of the outstanding reporters of his generation. As a war correspondent he is unrivalled”.

Rarely have first-hand reporting and history been so powerfully combined as they are in The Great War for Civilisation, Fisk’s epic story of tragedy and betrayal in the Middle East. As his narrative of bloodshed and cruelty unfolds in Iraq, Afghanistan, Algeria, Iran, Palestine and other battlefields, the carnage of 11 September 2001 and the overthrow of Saddam Hussein’s brutal regime take on a new and frightening meaning.

Fisk, who has met Osama bin Laden three times, has been on the battlefront of the Middle East’s conflicts for 28 years, and his devastating accounts of human suffering are now read around the world. In the tradition of all foreign correspondents, his eyewitness testimony of the horrors of modern warfare - like that of the great reporters of World War II - is laced with both suspicion and anger.

The lecture is organised by the Centre for Middle East and North African Studies at Macquarie University.

The Great War for Civilisation Revisited by Robert Fisk will take place at 7:30pm on Friday March 10th, in the Mason Theatre, Building E7B, Macquarie University, North Ryde. Parking is free. Use the University car parks (normal restrictions won’t apply).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Wow, i think ill go to this sounds awesome :)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yeah, should be thought provoking at the least. He's met Osama three times! Crazy stuff...

I'm particularly interested after watching Syriana on Thursday...I still can't get that movie out of my mind! It's crazy good...and surprisingly not dumbed down and pitched at an American audience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)