Robert Frost's "the road not taken" HELP (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Aerath said:
If you have not written an essay so far this year - you're school is seriously screwed (well, English department anyway). :S
i've only written one in advanced english at my school - that was for an assessment

sannous1

HSC
hey im doing the same thing for my assignment , on language forms and features, ive did a little bit hopefully it'll help you

Techniques in The Road Not Taken play a very crucial role in the understanding of this poem and to illustrate meaning. Frost in this poem uses a variety of techniques to make meaning.
As in most of his poems Frost uses a metaphor from nature to illustrate his themes. He likens the journey of life to a walk in the woods. The traveler comes to a point where “Two roads diverged.” He must make a choice as to which road to follow. This of course is symbolic of the choices we must make in life. It is also showing us that life is like the woods, as you could not predict what will happen in the future. Frost successfully engages the reader with his metaphor of life. Symbolism is also another technique used in this poem for instance when he states “And both that morning equally lay”, mornings can be seen as the symbol for new beginnings, when the choice is made.
Frost also uses rhyme in this poem for each stanza for example in the first stanza “Wood” and “Stood” or “Both” and “Could”. The effect of this is to adjoin an unusual rhythm in the poem, which will engage the reader.

so ye havent yet finished...

goodluck

hey

as im doing an assignment for this poem, it asks me

"How has the composer of the text organized her/his ideas about change and changing perspectives?"

i dont understand what they are asking...if anyone can help me

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

bored of sc

HSC
sannous1 said:
hey

as im doing an assignment for this poem, it asks me

"How has the composer of the text organized her/his ideas about change and changing perspectives?"

i dont understand what they are asking...if anyone can help me

thanks
how = techniques

so what techniques has the wirter used in the text to organise his or her notions about change/changing perspectives?

usually the writer has written in first, second or third person narration

the language can be didactic (instructional), persuasive, descriptive, factual, formal, informal etc and use slang, colloquialisms, jargon etc

there could be metaphors, similies, etc...

try to find techniques that are out of the ordinary :)

to do this, use the English techniques thread to help you with the different techniques

if you need to know what a particular technique means just send me a PM

sannous1

HSC
bored of sc said:
how = techniques

so what techniques has the wirter used in the text to organise his or her notions about change/changing perspectives?

usually the writer has written in first, second or third person narration

the language can be didactic (instructional), persuasive, descriptive, factual, formal, informal etc and use slang, colloquialisms, jargon etc

there could be metaphors, similies, etc...

try to find techniques that are out of the ordinary :)

to do this, use the English techniques thread to help you with the different techniques

if you need to know what a particular technique means just send me a PM

Thanks heapz, u helped me :D..

Ok just one last one :d

Forms of texts, technologies and medium of production
The composer of this text has chosen the specific text type, technology or medium to express her/his ideas about change and changing perspectives. How has this choice assisted her/him to shape meaning (communicate ideas about change)?

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
OP: There was one point in there: that the roads are "identical," which isn't really... correct. One of the major points of this poem is that at the time of making the decision, Frost saw them as completely different roads and perceived that one was worn down more than the other. But then in retrospect, he decides that both paths "there that morning equally lay." This doesn't mean they were identical, just that they had been worn "really about the same." The last line "and that has made all the difference," supports this.

What you wrote uses very elevated language, but it doesn't express a thorough understanding of the text, and a fair few of the words that you use are superfluous and interrupt the flow of reading. It would be better to focus on content, especially with such a small word limit, instead of sounding all pro.
Other than that it's pretty well done though. Just try not to use terms unneccessarily. It's better to get the precise term without trying to deliberately sound smart.

sannous1 said:
Thanks heapz, u helped me :D..

Ok just one last one :d

The composer of this text has chosen the specific text type, technology or medium to express her/his ideas about change and changing perspectives. How has this choice assisted her/him to shape meaning (communicate ideas about change)?
Text type = poem. With rhyming pattern and enjambment (flowing writing onto next line or even next stanza eg. "Had worn them really about the same/ [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And both that morning equally lay") there is flow within the text, creating a sense of continuity which conveys XXXXX (your thesis) about Journeys.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

bored of sc

HSC
bohemianindian said:
Try mentioning the use of 'iambic pentameter' created from strong and weak syllables => creates rhythm => allows poem to connect ideas => responder can learn from ideas
iambic pentameter also replicates the way the people of the Elizabethan era spoke - so this means it is in keeping with the tradition/origin of the life and times of Elizabethan England

bored of sc

HSC
sannous1 said:
what the people above said is spot on

but also, the fact a poem has been used suggests the writer wants to get a alot of ideas/large ideas into a small number of lines

also, the writers often use a purposeful type of language (persuasive, instructional, informative) - in most cases they are descriptive and emotive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)