Rock bands (other than punk rock) (1 Viewer)

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Have you ever listened to Kid A and Amnesiac, the two CDs I referred to?

And if so, do you know the meaning of the word diverse?
i am familiar with the works of radio head, that would explain the scars on my wrists

and sigur ros aren't even post rock

and i helped draft the first oxford english dictionary so yes i think i know what diverse means

nwatts

HSC
What would you call post-rock? The term was first used by music journo Simon Reynolds to describe music which "uses rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and power chords."

Sigur Ros use all the instruments of traditional rock (as well as a lot of violins on occasion), but in *vastly* different ways to the norm (I do believe the lead guitarist/singer uses a cello bow with his Birgisson guitar). Often the bass is used as an ambient instument rather than adding depth to whatever melody the other instruments weave. Apart from your Broken Social Scene and Stereolab, I can't think of another band which encompasses post-rock better than Sigur Ros.

I doubt your claims on familiarity with Radiohead. Even those who are opposed to Radiohead's music realise their music houses great depth and variation. Listen to OK Computer and Kid A right now and tell me they sound the same. You simply cannot (nor can anyone), as they're very different records.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Bjork was shit. Although I've still yet to listen to all her stuff. Maybe it takes time for it to grow on me.

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
(I do believe the lead guitarist/singer uses a cello bow with his Birgisson guitar). Often the bass is used as an ambient instument rather than adding depth to whatever melody the other instruments weave.
i think you'll find that Birgisson is his last name, not the name of his guitar. jimmy page did that too once, does that make his music post rock?

Apart from your Broken Social Scene and Stereolab, I can't think of another band which encompasses post-rock better than Sigur Ros.
is that a joke?

I doubt your claims on familiarity with Radiohead. Even those who are opposed to Radiohead's music realise their music houses great depth and variation. Listen to OK Computer and Kid A right now and tell me they sound the same. You simply cannot (nor can anyone), as they're very different records
just because they made two albums that aren't the same doesn't mean they are particularly diverse

nwatts

HSC
I'll argue with you if you present me something to argue with. Comments like you posted above are drivel.

According to the common definition of post-rock, Sigur Ros are post-rock. Radiohead's six albums offer an immense range in music. You are *clearly* either trolling or aren't well versed in their music.

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Bjork was shit. Although I've still yet to listen to all her stuff. Maybe it takes time for it to grow on me.
AAH!! Yes, please give Post a few listens :p takes a while but certainly worth it. Just avoid the clip to "Army Of Me" ..

wanton-wonton

HSC
I don't watch clips, unless they're live or they're really different.

From what I've been reading, her 'a capella' album Medulla was supposed to be really good.

I find it stupid.

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Yeah i certainly prefer post over it, imo her best. A Capella was just plain strange whereas Post does incorporate a few artistic sort of songs "its oh so quiet", the majority is alot easier to get into

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Two bands i've been obsessing over recently are the classic Radiohead and the Icelandic post-rock Sigur Ros.

Both bands have elements of rock, but serve to really extend the genre. Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac are my favourites (at the moment) and combine a real experimental, often electronic sound moving away from their rockier roots of OK Computer and The Bends. To use the frightful term, both albums are a real musical journey, and are two of the most diverse CDs i've ever heard. I've read that both Kid A and Amnesiac were recorded over the same period, but later split into two albums. You can definitely tell when listening that they're two CDs that sit next to eachother, and complement eachother beautifully. Those who aren't into these more arty releases will enjoy their latest Hail to the Thief, as a return to the genre defining alt rock of OK Computer.

Sigur Ros are a more post-rock group, for those unaware, that combine elements of virtually every genre (bits of britpop, prog rock, a lot of orchestral work) to create a mesmorising experience. I've been raving about Sigur Ros to my friends for a few weeks now, as they're utterly the best band I've discovered in years. Their latest release, Takk..., extends their often melancholy music to an interesting and far more elated level. It's an uplifting CD, that can break the ice on a shitty day. It's also their most accessible, so I'd advise new listeners to pick up Takk... before moving back to their best Ágætis Byrjun and the later ( ). For fans of Coldplay, and perhaps even Bjork, I'd recommend some Sigur Ros.
Thanks Brent DiCrescenzo.
Just so you know, there has and never will be anything "experimental" about radiohead. They're the coldplay of electronic music.

nwatts

HSC
fake_mcdickpant said:
Thanks Brent DiCrescenzo.
Just so you know, there has and never will be anything "experimental" about radiohead. They're the coldplay of electronic music.
Every music journalist known to man (yes, including Brent DiCrescenzo - not that his opinion is worth a lot) has labelled Radiohead's Kid A/Amnesiac experimental, which I agree with. For you to refute it, you need to give reasons, otherwise you look like the kid who has to disagree with something blatantly factual in order to get attention.

nwatts

HSC
They have hardly "blandly appropriated" other electronic musicians. They have often used electronic samples (ie, from Paul Lansky, and others) in their tracks, but you can hardly label them highly derivative. The manner in which they weave electronic music around 'traditional' alternative rock (and some britpop) is clearly experimental. Who else has done it?

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
They have hardly "blandly appropriated" other electronic musicians. They have often used electronic samples (ie, from Paul Lansky, and others) in their tracks, but you can hardly label them highly derivative.
stockhausen, xenakis, lanksy's approaches to generative composition and algorithmic synthesis, have been poorly interpreted for most of the tracks on both albums. schaeffer's musique concrete techniques have been belted to death as well, only they were implemented on a computer, which takes much less skill and imagineation. Brian Eno's techinques of "electronic treatment" and his ambient explorations (while no means the inventor) have been implemented. Their arrangements are very typical of 60s-70s minimalist composers, such as riely and riech. Hell jonny greenwood candidly admits ripping off Messiaen, who wrote alot for the ondes martenot. then there is more contemporary (and less experimental stuff) they've ripped off like 90's warp acts, Autechre and Aphex Twin and the like.
Do you really want me to keep going?

nwatts said:
The manner in which they weave electronic music around 'traditional' alternative rock (and some britpop) is clearly experimental. Who else has done it?
off the top of my head

Can -60s
Eno - 70s
Throbbing Gristle - 70s
Coil - 80s
Boredoms - early 90s
Brise glace - early 90s (infact, any Jim O'Rourke project really)
Oliva Tremor control - late 90's
Tortoise, Stereolab, TransAM (all of those early 90s post rock bands, and any subsequent ones for that matter)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
kiddies kiddies calm down. you must realise that nearly every music journalist is in the game for chicks, drugs and free gigs. they are mostly inherently lazy and make shit up at their desks. when one dude from nme or rolling stone says something, then the rest of them will go along out of convenience.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, in order to provide articles for people who can't read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)