• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rote Memorising Section II (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

i've heard that it's no good to go into an exam with a pre-prepared response, but is it wise to do that for q2 of the AOS? is it best to just memorise the basic shell of ur response and then adapt that to the question, whether it asks for a letter/short story/interview etc? or should u just make it up on the spot?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
i memorised it and it didnt give me any real benefit. I find i do better if i write a response in the exam rather than preprepare one and adapt it.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
we've been advised that its good to have a basic story that you always use, something you know that works, and then adapt it to the question and text type for section II.

example, my friend always has one where they go out clubbing and his best mate gets killed by a drunk driver... works for him... *shrugs*

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
personally, i wouldnt have a prepared story - otherwise u might find that the question asks u 2 do something that u cant adapt ur story 2 particulary well. however, theres nothing wrong with thinking bout a few different characters and situations that u could possibly use - this means u will have started thinking bout things u could use, but arent locked in2 one particular scenario.

kpq_sniper017

it seems in marking guidelines that there's an emphasis on "uniqueness" in this section....what if you've got nothing unique to discuss? it's not easy making up an original story with 40 minutes think and write.
btw. what length would be sufficient for this section (i.e. number of words, not pages)? and how exactly do markers mark this section when it's meant to be more of a personal response?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
i would be looking at at least 1 booklet, which is roughly 8 pages (i think this translates to roughly a little over 3 A4 pages?). yes, they are looking for uniqueness, i think the makring guidelines term it as 'flair' etc. basically, you will get good marks for a structurally strong piece, showing intersting imagery, sustained techniques, varied vocab etc. try to avoid teen angst etc. dont get too caught up in 'unique' - this can mean something as simple as a different perspective - fly-on-the-wall, second person etc. rather than a brand new, innovative idea: the markers know that you only have 40 minutes, so they're not looking for the next Booker Prize winner.

kpq_sniper017

so u'd actually be looking at using sophisticated language....metaphors, similes....things that involve the marker???
so it's more important to illustrate uniqueness of vocabulary/style/language than the uniqueness of the plot/story itself?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
pcx_demolition017 said:
so u'd actually be looking at using sophisticated language....metaphors, similes....things that involve the marker???
so it's more important to illustrate uniqueness of vocabulary/style/language than the uniqueness of the plot/story itself?
yeah, pretty much - the markers dont go too harshly on your plotline because they know that you only have 40minutes to come up with the concept and write the damn thing. look to show them how sophisticated your writing style is etc.
however, stay away from subjects like teen angst if you can: purely form the perspective that everyone writes about them. if you can;t think of anything else, write about it from an outside perspective or something.

tempco

HSC
silvermoon said:
stay away from subjects like teen angst
and pop-stars. my teacher handed out a whole list of things we shouldn't write about.. :rolleyes:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
thats quite a good idea i guess - though, personally, i still think that a sufficiently talented writer will still be able to take even the typical, cliched concepts and put a new slant on them...god i wish i was a talented writer!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)