rurality, extra-curricular activities and medicine (1 Viewer)

eliseliselise

HSC
hey!
is anyone aware of the details regarding extracurricular activities needed for admission into med/dent? i'm aware that in the interview [if i even get there] they wish to see well-rounded, involved members of society- not just academics who have spent the past 6 years inside a textbook. i have a pretty long list of sporting, cultural, musical and school involved activities however 2 things are lacking: work experience and solid community involvement. for some reason, my school didn't do work experience and i'm really not sure if i should sort some out before the interview or whether i should just let it slide-- any ideas??? also, i have volunteered/entertained [lol] at a nursing home many a time and done my DoE -- is that enough community involvement??

additionally, does anyone know of where one can find out if the region i live in is 'rural'???

your help is GREATLY appreciated =) thankyou!
x elise

lionking1191

HSC
its like an english essay really. its not about what you know, it's how you tell them that u know. in the short span of 40min, and likely 1 or 2 questions related to ur extra curricula activities you really won't get much in but rather think carefully about what to say, how to say it and how to be convincing and appear passionate about what u do. something as small as turning the music down when ur mom had a headache could make a better impression than 'i did voluntary work at a nursing home from 8-4 for 2 month from july 2007 to sept. 2007' :rolleyes:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
^ LOL

None are required, however they do give you an advantage in general. Especially for applications for uni's such as James Cook.

Extra-curricular activities are great but at the end of the day the main things are still your UMAT score, overall performance in the intervew and TER, UAI, etc. In the interview, it seems they are more interested now day's in your aptitude, quick thinking, rationale, critical thinking in scenario and personality based questions.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
In terms of Dentistry, I'm aware that in nsw only USyd has dentistry available.

Their interview format is the same as USyd Graduate Medicine which is based upon MMI or Multiple Interviews which do not ask anything related to your work/community experiences.

So in the end, it depends on which university you plan to apply for medicine, and whether it is undergraduate/Post-Graduate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)