Russia in the 1900s (1 Viewer)

neversaynever

HSC
Hi, i'm doing the fall of the romanovs, but we have an essay coming up soon and it will have somehting to do with Bloody Sunday, the Russo-Japanese war, industrialisation, and the effects of these on the reign of Nicholas II

I was just wondering, what main points would i need/ arguments (it will most likely be to assess) and paragraph ideas i could use for the essay

things such as the immediate effects, etc.

thankss

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Depends on the essay you'll be given. Will it be an in class assessment task or just an ordinary essay that's to be handed in at a later date?

Apart from the aspects that you've already mentioned (which could form the basis of your actual paragraphs), you could talk about the October Manifesto, the implementation of a Duma, and the actual (or lack thereof) changes made to the ruling system of Russia in the 1900s after the Bloody Sunday Massacre.

If you're going to add other details that refer to the end stages of Nicholas II' fall, you'd talk about the ramifications of WWI on the army and the domestic front, and the rise of Bolshevism at a time where Nicholas was suffering heavy defeats and his people were starving and on strike. Remember the Bolshevik's quotes- "All Power to the Soviets" and "Peace, Bread and Land!".

If it is most likely an 'assess" question, remember to analyse what happened, and more importantly, make a judgement on whether or not they had a vital impact on the fall of the Romanovs.

neversaynever

HSC
Thanks.

Yeah its gonna be an in class essay, we dont find out what the question is until we get in there but the general idea seems to be the events impacting on Nicholas II's reign.

I was just wondering, if the essay topic is about WWI, then how would i be able to link in information about the Russo-Japanese war and bloody sunday etc.

the essay has to be around 6 pages i think, and i really want to have enough paragraph ideas to write about.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well, the essay won't be on WWI but rather, the effects of different events on Nicholas II's reign. This is where WWI as a concept/paragraph idea comes into play. As an event that occurred in the latter stages leading up to his abdication, you don't need to link WWI to the R-J war or Bloody Sunday. It's a totally different problem that eventually caused the downfall of the Romanovs.

Althought I don't like using it :)p). Wikipedia does have good information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_Revolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Revolution_(1917)#World_War_I

It is argued that the 1917 February Revolution occurred largely because of the result of the First World War as well as the dissatisfaction with the manner in which the country was being run by the Tsarina, Alexandra Fyodorovna of Hesse, and Tsar Nicholas's ministers, who were acting on his authority whilst he was away at the Army Headquarters as Commander-in-Chief. A telegram from Mikhail Rodzianko to the Tsar on 26 February 1917, in which he begs for a strong, capable minister, serves to illustrate the lack of strong leadership under this arrangement.

The personal assumption of command by the Tsar in itself was a cause of much tension, for involvement in World War I was seen to be the root of the majority of the problems, (primarily economic) which Russia was experiencing internally, and the Tsar's personal association with the war served only to worsen further his already-wavering position.

Controversy also surrounded the role of Grigori Rasputin in the Russian royal family, with speculation arising regarding his relationship with the Tsarina in particular -- resulting in that most-intriguing assassination of Rasputin by members of the extended royal family. Furthermore, Alexandra's German heritage made her an unpopular figurehead for the Romanovs in Petrograd for the time that Nicholas (at the calling of Rasputin) was away at the front.

All political parties (apart from the Social Democratic Labour Party, divided between the Mensheviks and the Bolsheviks) had supported, in August 1914, Russia's participation in World War I, alongside the United Kingdom and France, the three being allied in what was known as the Triple Entente. After a few initial victories, the Tsar's armies were confronted with some very serious defeats -- particularly in East Prussia. The factories were not productive enough, the railway system quite insufficient, and the overall logistics poor, all of which explained Russia's considerable losses. More than 1,700,000 Russian soldiers were killed, and 5,900,000 injured. Mutinies sprang up often, with general morale at its lowest, and the officers and commanders were at times most incompetent. Some units, indeed, went to the front line with ammunition that was incompatible with their weapons. Over 140,000 desertions occurred in just one year.

On the home front, the famine was threatening and commodities were becoming scarce. The Russian economy, which had just seen one of the highest growth rates in Europe, was henceforth blocked from the continent's market. The Duma, composed of liberal deputies, warned Tsar Nicholas II of the impending danger and counselled him to form a new constitutional government, like that which he had dissolved after some short-term attempts in the aftermath of the 1905 Revolution. The Tsar ignored the Duma's advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)