SAE (What alternatives are there?) (1 Viewer)

GRX40
HSC
N/A
I visited the SAE website and attempted to glean what information I could. However, I didn't find it to be overly clear and it actually reminded me a little of the AIM website for some reason. Hmm!

In plain English, what exactly is the difference between a Certificate course and a Bachelor of Arts degree? Is a "Certificate" not as qualified or is it just a different name for a similar thing? Also, did I read this incorrectly, or is it in fact possible to enrol in an Audio Engineering Diploma straight away, without any prerequisites? I'm confused.

Also, does anyone know if there are currently any respectable institutions that offer game or film audio/sound/music courses?

In fact, what alternatives for composition, music production or audio engineering are there in general, if I'm nowhere near good enough to enter the Con and Bunny recommends KFC over AIM?

Thanks!

(Since I've loaded all of these questions in the one thread, I may as well throw in a few more. Are all Composition applicants to the Con guaranteed an interview, or are only the ones with "good" portfolios chosen? Do most people have past composition experience on their resume/CV? Finally, is it true that the applicants are not only Year 12 students, and can be much older composers too? Uh oh.)

EDIT: Oh, hang on. It seems that the SAE food chain is Certificate -> Diploma -> Bachelor - or is it the other way round? Doesn't Bachelor of Arts usually come before Diploma? Gah!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The food chain is always Certificate (II, III and IV), then Diploma, then Bachelor, Masters and Doctorate degrees. A certificate level course is usually just an entry course into the subject matter, and a diploma is a little more indepth. It's only at degree level (Bachelor/Masters/Doctorate) where a student will study something indepth.

The only other music school who's composition program is comparable to the Con's is the University of Wollongong. Other alternatives include the Con's Arts Music program at main campus (as part of a BA (Music)), UNSW music (with a strong performance focus), UWS music (esp. contemporary &/or electronic work) or Newcastle Con. For specific audio engineering, there's the JMC Academy (http://www.jmc.net.au/audio-engineering.htm).

All applicants to the Con's Composition degree are given an interview. Applicants complete a portfolio, interview and a music skills test - all of which are graded. The majority of first year composers are straight out of school, though a few will be starting a second degree. It's rare to find anybody over the age of 25 starting the Bachelor degree, though they're very common in the Masters course.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply, Phanatical. How does Southern Cross University's B Contemporary Music course rank? Is it as "useless" as qualifications from AIM, or would it in fact be worth looking into?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)