Saudi wants divorce after husband lifts her veil (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Never showed her face in 30 years of marriage
Saudi wants divorce after husband lifts her veil

DUBAI (AlArabiya.net)
A 50-year-old Saudi woman asked for divorce after her husband lifted her face veil while she was sleeping, local press reported.

For 30 years, the wife said she never showed her face to her husband in conformity with the tradition of her native village near the south western Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt.

"After all these years, he tries to commit such a big mistake," the wife told Saudi newspaper Al-Riyadh, after she left the house in total disbelief.

She said the husband apologized and promised never to do it again.

This is not the first case of husbands who have not seen their wives' faces in decades.

In the past Al Arabiya has reported the case of Ali al-Qahtani, whose wife had been wearing the face veil for the entire ten years of their marrage. When he tried to take it off, she threatened to leave and only decided to stay after he swore never to try again.

Hassan Al-Atibi threatened to marry another woman if his wife didn't show him her face. The woman nominated one of her friends who doesn't observe this tradition as a possible new wife for him, saying this would be better than her showing her face.

And neither the husband or children of Om Rabea al-Gahdaray, 70, have ever seen her face. Al-Gahdaray says it is a family tradition, also followed by mother and sisters, which her husband accepted and never tried to change.

When asked how she could have kids without her husband ever seeing her face, she replied: "Marriage is about love, not faces."

The practice of always remaining veiled, even in front of your husband, is not an Islamic practice but a very old tradition practiced by a minority of people in Gulf countries.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2007/10/08/40103.html

Not surprising they are so eager to gaze at women on the beach at Cronulla :rofl:

X

xeuyrawp

PrinceHarry said:
Not surprising they are so eager to gaze at women on the beach at Cronulla :rofl:
Must say I haven't seen many Saudis at Cronulla?

boris

Banned
HSC
This seems like a pretty harmless, albeit confusing tradition...

Don't really care tbh, infact it looks here as though the women have the power in this relationship. Very rare.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
heh iam just glad i am not a muslim....imagine having to put up with that shit. Makes me wonder what they have to hide, must be some real ugly bitches if even their husbands arent allowed to see their faces.

X

xeuyrawp

Serius said:
must be some real ugly bitches if even their husbands arent allowed to see their faces.
Yeah, or maybe they're part of a different culture, you little bogan.

banco55

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah, or maybe they're part of a different culture, you little bogan.
These degenerates also have a cultural tradition of kiling women that dishonour their families. What a wonderful, vibrant culture they have.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
This isn't about Islam. This is about a small portion of Muslim women who CHOOSE to keep covered.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Personally I find this more distressing:

Ten year old granted divorce

Tribal customs still trump laws on marital age, Borzou Daragahi in Sana'a, Yemen.

THE little girl was waist-high, so small that the lawyers, clerks and judges hurrying through the courthouse almost missed her.

As the crowds cleared, a judge asked her what she was doing sitting alone on a bench.

"I came to get a divorce," said 10-year-old Nujood Ali.

Her poor parents had married her to a man three times her age, who had beaten her and had forced her to have sex, she said.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/06/12/1212863836927.html

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
JaredR said:
I read that article from it's source (LA Times) and it's extremely disturbing. The Yemeni judicial system needs a complete reform, such appauling human rights. I can not express how completely against Islam that whole story is. It seems to have caused a furore though, particularly in Yemen, so it's not out of the question that this will bring about reforms on the legal age of marriage.

Just.Snaz

HSC
lol woulda been funny if, after the 30 years of curiosity, he lifts her veil and sadly finds out she looked better when he hadn't :p

"YES PLEASE DIVORCE ME :eek:"

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
It seems to have caused a furore though, particularly in Yemen, so it's not out of the question that this will bring about reforms on the legal age of marriage.
It has, a week or so ago a report came out saying that over 50% of married women in Yemen were married before the age of 15.
somenewsarticle said:
The parliament in Yemen is reportedly working to raise the minimum marriageable age, which currently stands at 15 years old and so far there is no punishment for those families who allow their daughters to marry under this age.
I think the lack of action when the law is broken is a bit stupid if they want it to be taken seriously.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I find it hard to believe that it's possible to love someone you've never seen
/internet

raven2000

HSC
Serius said:
heh iam just glad i am not a muslim....imagine having to put up with that shit. Makes me wonder what they have to hide, must be some real ugly bitches if even their husbands arent allowed to see their faces.
Fuck up. Ignorant idiot. This has nothing to do with Islam.. Islam doesn't say anywhere that a woman has to cover her face from her husband.

On another note, love is not a prerequisite for marriage. Thats where arranged marriages come in. And no, arranged marriages happen in predominately NON-muslim countries as well..

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Raven, don't bother correcting the retards on this forum. They were born idiots and they will die idiots, there's no changing them.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
imagine the sex.
lol yeah that's what i was thinkin when the article said they had kids :p..

Serius said:
heh iam just glad i am not a muslim....imagine having to put up with that shit.
read the article, this isn't about islam.. " The practice of always remaining veiled, even in front of your husband, is not an Islamic practice but a very old tradition practiced by a minority of people in Gulf countries."

i think Jared put it nicely:
JaredR said:
This isn't about Islam. This is about a small portion of Muslim women who CHOOSE to keep covered.
and so did taco..
TacoTerrorist said:
Raven, don't bother correcting the retards on this forum. They were born idiots and they will die idiots, there's no changing them.
ari89 said:
It has, a week or so ago a report came out saying that over 50% of married women in Yemen were married before the age of 15.

I think the lack of action when the law is broken is a bit stupid if they want it to be taken seriously.
LOL we've finally found some common ground, i agree with you - that article Jared linked to actually made me feel sick.. she was only 10 years old =/...

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
raven2000 said:
On another note, love is not a prerequisite for marriage. Thats where arranged marriages come in. And no, arranged marriages happen in predominately NON-muslim countries as well..
Actually, in Western countries, love does tend to be a major factor in marriage. Yeah, yeah, I know there are cases in which it's just for money or whatever, but love before marriage is a part of our culture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)