Scaling between subjects (1 Viewer)

Zero Infinite

HSC
I need some advice. First off, I'm not entirely sure how the scaling between subjects works, so if someone can explain that, it would be great. I'm especially considering the subjects Physics and Legal Studies, in deciding which one to drop.

However, it gets more complicated. I got the school average mark for my school (Baulkham Hills - selective) which was 79 for Physics. I got 93 for Legal Studies, third in the grade - the average was 85.

I am indecisive about which one to drop, since at the moment I'm doing 14 units - which probably isn't a good idea for later on.

My parents are concerned about the scaling of Physics compared to Legal Studies, especially with my Legal mark (if I pursue it) being scaled down in relation to some of the more difficult subjects, and such. So, an explanation on exactly how the scaling works for different subjects, and any recommendations on choices for what to drop would be good.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
i dont think u should drop any of them. coz ur physics will be scaled to 80s while legal studies is neutral. what are ur other subjects?

Zero Infinite

HSC
So Without Wings, by "similar figures towards your UAI" do you mean there won't be much of a difference between the two subjects in the HSC? Because, personally, I think in that case I'd prefer Physics as it seems more useful.

BTW, to Dark Phoenix, I also do Chemistry, Economics, Maths 4U, English 2U but all of those subjects I've been doing very well.

And for f3nr15, what do you mean scaling won't happen?

HSC
u shoulsn;t really rely on scaling in order to pursue a particular subject

at the end of the day, if u are gna drop a subject, u have to drop; what u feel is necessary, whether it be the subject u like the least, or the one u are doing the poorest in

scaling differs each year depending on the ability of the cohort as well as the level of difficulty of the course

Zero Infinite

HSC
^ Yes, I understand why people say scaling isn't everything, but when it comes to such a difficult decision, the scaling is definitely something to thing about.

So can anyone answer the last two questions I have - I thank the people who answered the above, and thanks to anyone who answers the following:

Suppose I got a HSC raw mark similar to the results I got now (Physics 79, Legal 93), would Physics get scaled up to 85, and Legal stay the same? I think it might make a difference how the averages differ (Physics avg 79, Legal avg 85)

Would Legal ever be scaled down if I did not do this well?

And the answers to these questions will ease my concerns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)