Scaling system (1 Viewer)

tku336

HSC
ah but dp you dont know mischa. he's one of the most intelligent we've had in grammar bar wells last year. and laurie field before that.

brandon (topped our half yearlies) will get 100 purely for the subjects hes doing (topping latin, latin extension, greek, greek extension, 4th in maths, 6th in english) but mischa is almost as guaranteed (1st in bio, e+e, modern history, 2nd in english, 8th in 3eng, 1st in 4eng, 8th in physics)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i wish i knew about scaling when i chose my subjects:(
As teachers at my school like to say, "All the scaling in the world won't help you if you're failing at extension 2 math."

You should choose your subjects based on your likes and strengths. Of course if you strengths are "higher scaling" subjects, then go for it XD

huhwotsthis

HSC
im sure failing a good scalin subject is better than failin a shit one

business gr

dp624

HSC
As teachers at my school like to say, "All the scaling in the world won't help you if you're failing at extension 2 math."

You should choose your subjects based on your likes and strengths. Of course if you strengths are "higher scaling" subjects, then go for it XD
oh it will help (@mx2 thing)
much better to fail mx2 rather than, say, gen maths

HSC
i wish i knew about scaling when i chose my subjects:(
scaling wouldnt have stopped me choosing the subjects i want to do. theres no point picking say extension maths cos you know know it scales well if you cant handle the work.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
but then again, scaling is what differentiates a student from other students in their cohort.

Top HSC students (whether by research or their own instincts) not only understand scaling, they actively use it as a tool to score the highest possible UAI.

You see, the bos will adjust the highest mark, median mark and standard deviation so that all subjects are directly comparable

Some subjects that are considered harder will be scaled higher, whilst some subjects in which it is easy to score high marks will be scaled downwards (e.g. adv english scales better than std english...)

I suppose the subjects that are scaled higher are the ones that are subjectively harder... e.g. everyone can draw a picture, but not everyone can solve lets say, variable denominator inequalities...

shaon0

HSC
but then again, scaling is what differentiates a student from other students in their cohort.

Top HSC students (whether by research or their own instincts) not only understand scaling, they actively use it as a tool to score the highest possible UAI.

You see, the bos will adjust the highest mark, median mark and standard deviation so that all subjects are directly comparable

Some subjects that are considered harder will be scaled higher, whilst some subjects in which it is easy to score high marks will be scaled downwards (e.g. adv english scales better than std english...)

I suppose the subjects that are scaled higher are the ones that are subjectively harder... e.g. everyone can draw a picture, but not everyone can solve lets say, variable denominator inequalities...
Advanced English doesn't scale more than Standard English, it just happens through coincidence that Advanced English students are better at english than Standard English (in general). So more people in advanced do better than the students in standard.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Advanced English doesn't scale more than Standard English, it just happens through coincidence that Advanced English students are better at english than Standard English (in general). So more people in advanced do better than the students in standard.
but the syllabus is different for both subjects, e.g. std english ppl dont have to our adv english critical study stuff... I think its just called a 'close study' for them, hence making it easier

MzBiiBii

HSC

ye everyone may be able to draw a picture, however thats not what HSC v.arts is about... in many ways its a difficult, demanding and highly time consuming subject...not to mention the fact that we must come up with some "interesting/original" concept..which can be a lil difficult lol.. anyway my point is..a lot of ppl assume art is easy... i do art n 4u eng..nd dey can be a pain in the butt :)

helper

HSC
N/A
The scaling system has no inherent calculations or assumptions based on which subject is harder. It treats all 2 Unit subjects the same in the method of calculation. So if all the top students in the year decided to do Hospitatility, then it could be the top scaling subject in that year. As people assume what is the top subjects and choose them, it ends up being a self-selecting process.

The problem is if you decide to not work in a subject, then it will drag the scaling down of all the other subjects that you are working in. This includes a subject that mighn't be in your 10 units that count towards your UAI.

Dumbledore

HSC

wait wait wait, does this mean the ranks are not the only important thing?
lets say if u come first by 1 mark or first by 20 marks will it make a difference?

dp624

HSC
wait wait wait, does this mean the ranks are not the only important thing?
lets say if u come first by 1 mark or first by 20 marks will it make a difference?
not first, no
but coming second will

stephiiiii

HSC
Im so confused.. say I am coming 1st in drama, but the person coming 2nd is only 2 marks below me... if i keep this up will I still beat her in the HSC once I finish exams?

dp624

HSC
Im so confused.. say I am coming 1st in drama, but the person coming 2nd is only 2 marks below me... if i keep this up will I still beat her in the HSC once I finish exams?
depends on your external mark

adamcg

HSC
I may be wrong here, but I think anyone who is a lower rank than you in your school, and who you beat in the HSC doesnt affect your mark (bar influencing the scaling of the subject).

So if you continue to get better marks than the current 2nd in both assesments and externals, then yes you will still beat them :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I may be wrong here, but I think anyone who is a lower rank than you in your school, and who you beat in the HSC doesnt affect your mark (bar influencing the scaling of the subject).

So if you continue to get better marks than the current 2nd in both assesments and externals, then yes you will still beat them :)
I believe that is Correct, but its 100% vaild if you remain 1st in both cases.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
its actually better for you if you are ranked first and someone from your school beats you in the HSC exam.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
^what's the definition of "difficult"? Doe scaling determine the "difficulty" of the course?

I mean, if I were to do difficult subjects, I would have done Industrial Technology, Visual Arts, Music 2, Music Extension and all those subjects that I suck at.
Ditto. I would die at Music/VA. I can't draw, I can't play music, and the creative bones in my body are quite brittle.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)