scaling?!!? (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
isnt it true that because I am doing english standard and not advanced..if i dont get PERFECT results I will ultimatley be scaled down??

I dont understand the whole scaling stuff.. would i get a lower ATAR per say?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Standard and Advanced scale the same.

Standard aligns crappier than Advanced because the Advanced kids are literally more advanced than the Standard students in English analysis and thus push the Advanced cohort up and thus Advanced kids get more Band 6s than silly Standards =P /elitism

super.muppy

HSC
Standard and Advanced scale the same.

Standard aligns crappier than Advanced because the Advanced kids are literally more advanced than the Standard students in English analysis and thus push the Advanced cohort up and thus Advanced kids get more Band 6s than silly Standards =P /elitism
ahhhas yea elitism indeed, agreeing with shadowdude, its to do with ur cohort if ur on top of ur cohort u'll do fine.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
You can't change it, just study hard, and get the best marks that you can. Trust me you're better doing standard and doing well, the fucking up advanced.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Scaling for Advanced and Standard English is THE SAME.

Aligning is different.

maths94

HSC
isnt it true that because I am doing english standard and not advanced..if i dont get PERFECT results I will ultimatley be scaled down??

I dont understand the whole scaling stuff.. would i get a lower ATAR per say?
Standard and Advanced scale the same. People get way more band sixes in advanced is because there ... 'advanced' basically. People think just because they do advanced english they are going to go better than standard kids, this is not true. Even though advanced gets more band sizes its alot harder in terms of context and the people you are competing against. All the 'smart kids' do advanced while the 'dumb kids' do standard.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Standard and Advanced scale the same. People get way more band sixes in advanced is because there ... 'advanced' basically. People think just because they do advanced english they are going to go better than standard kids, this is not true. Even though advanced gets more band sizes its alot harder in terms of context and the people you are competing against. All the 'smart kids' do advanced while the 'dumb kids' do standard.
Errr no, there are more Band 6s in Advanced because it is aligned better because in Advanced - their students are taught better on how to analyse texts properly. Meanwhile in Standard, they probably have enough trouble just trying to find the techniques - let alone analyse them.

Besides, the content cannot be used as a differentiator. Really, the only difference between Advanced and Standard content-wise is perhaps Shakespeare and deeper material which can be analysed more deeply.

epicFAILx

HSC
so I am.......dumb?

+ considering the aligning is the different..I can sill get over (for example) 80 in standard and get a decent ATAR?

HSC
Uni Grad
so basically I'd need a Band 6 for it not to affect me at all? :eek:
well you can have a mid band 5 and you'll get the same scaling for someone in advanced who also got a mid band 5
but standard just aligns badly, that's all

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
so I am.......dumb?

+ considering the aligning is the different..I can sill get over (for example) 80 in standard and get a decent ATAR?
You can't say "Ohh yeah I'll just get 80 and get a good mark and ATAR". For one, the ATAR relies on 8 more units other than your English - and when you're doing your HSC Paper 1, the markers are not going to be able to tell whether you've done Standard or not. Standard aligns badly because the majority of the cohort are horrible at English analysis or writing - and you get dragged down with them. Simple.

smartalec

HSC
so basically I'd need a Band 6 for it not to affect me at all? :eek:
good luck with that. only 0.01% of the standard english cohort will get that. if you did and say got a 90 in standard, its better than a 90 in advanced coz its so difficult.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Wrong. Marks in Standard and Advanced are on a common scale, I believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)