Scaling (1 Viewer)

C_master

HSC
I've heard that PDHPE doesn't scale well. Does it bring down your atar? For example- Subjects such as mine

wfj

HSC
One subject will never bring down your atar just by doing the subject. Ultimately its your performance in the course that determines how the subject will affect your atar.

C_master

HSC
One subject will never bring down your atar just by doing the subject. Ultimately its your performance in the course that determines how the subject will affect your atar.
True but how bad is the scaling?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
PDHPE does not scale as high as most of your subjects, specifically Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1, English Advanced, Chemistry and Physics. However, this factor alone does not mean that PDHPE will prevent you from maximising your ATAR if you end up taking this subject, especially considering that there have been instances of students achieving a 99.95 ATAR with PDHPE. Your performance in the subject remains the most important element as it will ultimately determine whether the subject will end up making a positive contribution to your ATAR (should it count as part of your best 10 units). This applies to all subjects, including high-scaling ones, i.e. you still need to perform at a reasonably high standard to achieve favourable results, even in high-scaling subjects.

With that being said, the difference between PDHPE and a higher-scaling subject is that you will likely need to perform at a higher standard in PDHPE in order for it to make a similar/identical contribution as a higher-scaling subject. For example, you could achieve an 85 in English Advanced, which generally makes a relatively favourable contribution to your ATAR. On the other hand, that same contribution would probably require a slightly higher mark in PDHPE, such as 90. Of course, the better your performance, the less significant the effect of scaling becomes.

I hope this helps! :D

C_master

HSC
PDHPE does not scale as high as most of your subjects, specifically Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1, English Advanced, Chemistry and Physics. However, this factor alone does not mean that PDHPE will prevent you from maximising your ATAR if you end up taking this subject, especially considering that there have been instances of students achieving a 99.95 ATAR with PDHPE. Your performance in the subject remains the most important element as it will ultimately determine whether the subject will end up making a positive contribution to your ATAR (should it count as part of your best 10 units). This applies to all subjects, including high-scaling ones, i.e. you still need to perform at a reasonably high standard to achieve favourable results, even in high-scaling subjects.

With that being said, the difference between PDHPE and a higher-scaling subject is that you will likely need to perform at a higher standard in PDHPE in order for it to make a similar/identical contribution as a higher-scaling subject. For example, you could achieve an 85 in English Advanced, which generally makes a relatively favourable contribution to your ATAR. On the other hand, that same contribution would probably require a slightly higher mark in PDHPE, such as 90. Of course, the better your performance, the less significant the effect of scaling becomes.

Ohh alr

C_master

HSC

Btw

For example, if for all the other subjects (Maths Ad, Maths Ex, Chem and Phy) I got a mark of 90-95 and 80 something for PDHPE- How bad will it affect my atar? - Random numbers btw

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Btw

For example, if for all the other subjects (Maths Ad, Maths Ex, Chem and Phy) I got a mark of 90-95 and 80 something for PDHPE- How bad will it affect my atar? - Random numbers btw
In such a case, PDHPE would first contribute only 1 unit to your ATAR because the total number of units in such a case would be 11 (with English Advanced). This, alongside your favourable performance in the rest of your subjects, would minimise the negative effect of an 80 in PDHPE on your ATAR. A quick estimation using UAC's ATAR Compass shows that such performance would result in 1 less ATAR point approximately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)