Scalping and the Internet (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Desperate cricket fans may be out for a duck: Cricket Australia cancels scalped tickets

Cricket Australia cancels eBay tickets

From Desperate cricket fans may be out for a duck: Cricket Australia cancels scalped tickets

DANIEL FILER: Well, the important thing for Cricket Australia was to really spend time and effort making sure that genuine fans got tickets in the first place. And if you cast your mind back to when the Ashes tickets first went on sale, they really failed to do that. People were able to get large numbers of tickets, and I can't see how that helps the genuine fans. And we've seen when sporting bodies take that time and effort to make sure that genuine fans get the tickets in the first place, this effectively becomes a non-issue.

NORMAN HERMANT: Not surprisingly, Peter Young from Cricket Australia sees it differently.

PETER YOUNG: Our view is that if eBay refused to give scalpers advertising space, we wouldn't have a problem.

News Limited for example, Australia's largest newspaper publication, is refusing to take adverts from scalpers who are flogging tickets to the 3 Mobile Ashes Series. We pleaded with eBay to not give scalpers the space. We've been selling tickets the way we sell tickets for 120-odd years, without the slightest problem. The scalpers only became a problem once they started using internet auctions.
"The scalpers only became a problem once they started using internet auctions." Is this a reasonable statement or is Cricket Australia living in the past (120-odd years in the past, to be precise)? Should the end consumer suffer because Cricket Australia is trying to account for an ineffective ticketing system after the fact?

What about scalping and the internet in general? Any thoughts? Feel free to go beyond the example presented within the transcripts.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
How significant is the percentage of tickets scalped? 1%, if that? I'd consider that number fine because if I really, REALLY wanted to go to a sporting event, I'd like to know that there was some way for me to GUARANTEE myself a ticket, even if it cost a lot of money.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
This is really Cricket Australia's problem they should have better ticketing system in place..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's just plain wrong that the people that bought the tickets and genuinely wanted to go to the events, no matter the cost, bear the brunt of the punishment, whereas the scalpers who exploited the system get off relatively unscathed.
I agree. By punishing those who have bought scalped tickets they do not hurt the scalpers, just the genuine fans. They should, as the first person in the article said, impliment practices to limit scalping before the tickets go on sale.

gerhard

HSC
Im sure if I wanted to I could make an easy living just by scalping tickets on ebay. In fact, Im sure people do. Ive seen guys with thousands of sales who only sell tickets to events. The one time I put up a ticket when I couldnt go it ended up selling for $125, and it only cost me like $65.

I have no problem with people selling their tickets if they couldnt make the event or whatever. But its pretty annoying when your trying to go to splendour in the grass and it sells out in an hour, and then you look on ebay the same day and people are selling 30 tickets for five times the price.

gerhard

HSC
Optophobia said:
So long as Cricket Australia gets the money it asked for from the original ticket sale, i can't see what they are worried about. If someone is willing to pay more for the ticket than originally paid, then that's their problem.

Cricket Australia doesn't lose anything. What it comes down to, is its exactly the same thing as music piracy - they dont LOSE anything, they just don't MAKE anything either, which is the part that they are complaining about.. And it's greedy and shouldn't be allowed.
Except with music piracy, the little guy benefits. With scalping, the little guy has to pay more.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i dont think scalping is particularly ethical. The real fans are the ones who buy their tickets from CA, the scalpers are creating an artifical scarcity by buying all the tickets up ,and then exploiting it by selling them at extortionist rates.

If all scalped tickets reguarly get cancelled, people stop buying them and the scalpers go out of business, which means more tickets available to the average fan who cant afford scalped prices.
That way everyone pays the same for their ticket and the only people buying them are the real fans.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
brogan77 said:
Scalping is illegal.

EDIT: Above post was different, now I just look like a tard, I'll quote next time.
lol - i didnt read the article. after i read it it made sense.

banco55

HSC
brogan77 said:
It's just plain wrong that the people that bought the tickets and genuinely wanted to go to the events, no matter the cost, bear the brunt of the punishment, whereas the scalpers who exploited the system get off relatively unscathed.

Furthermore, I don't think eBay should be under any obligation to cooperate with a sporting organisation the way Cricket Australia wants them to...if people are willing to pay that much for a ticket, then let them pay. CA can suffer the consequences of disgruntled consumers who might've wanted to purchase a ticket legitimately, in the future.
I think Ebay will cooperate as they are very concerned with being seen as a a place where you can count on products being genuine etc. It's hardly in ebay's interest to sell tickets that are going to be worthless.

Optophobia

HSC
banco55 said:
I think Ebay will cooperate as they are very concerned with being seen as a a place where you can count on products being genuine etc. It's hardly in ebay's interest to sell tickets that are going to be worthless.
http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/event-tickets.html

eBay Guidelines:

Generally, eBay permits the resale of tickets. However, the resale of tickets to events (including sporting contests, music concerts and plays) and airline tickets can often be regulated by the ticket issuer. As a ticket seller, you are responsible for ensuring that your particular transaction does not violate any applicable law or the terms of the ticket itself. Therefore, prior to buying or selling these types of items members should contact the ticket issuer and ensure the resale is permitted.
Generally, airline frequent flyer points or guest passes to airline lounges are non-transferable, therefore, eBay does not permit these types of items to be listed.

Steve Mate

HSC
Not a fan of scalpers but i think it is a problem CA has to deal with.

Was it Splender in the Grass or Homebake that had really stringent rules on ticket sales where you could only get like 5 tickets and you had to name the people and have ID on entry?
I rekon if CA did somthing like that it would be much better and they can just organise deals with legitimate organisations to sell tickets enmass. Really I don't rekon there needs to be a limit on tickets, just get the names and ask for ID on entry.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Steve Mate said:
Not a fan of scalpers but i think it is a problem CA has to deal with.

Was it Splender in the Grass or Homebake that had really stringent rules on ticket sales where you could only get like 5 tickets and you had to name the people and have ID on entry?
I rekon if CA did somthing like that it would be much better and they can just organise deals with legitimate organisations to sell tickets enmass. Really I don't rekon there needs to be a limit on tickets, just get the names and ask for ID on entry.
It was Splendour

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Exactly. CA can put in measures to stop the scalpers BEFORE HAND that they didn't, instead they've chosen to allow the scalpings to take place and then re-sell them so they get 2x the money and legitimate fans lose out.

Bastards.

lengy

HSC
Well they should target those that buy mass tickets, say three or more and try to scalp them. I'm sure there are alot of legitimate people who need to sell their tickets because of conflicting schedules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)