Schapelle Corby - Innocent or Gulity? (1 Viewer)

gosh

and the thing i dont get is why that gold coast millionaire helping her as well? does he even know her personally?

gosh

maybe the drug baron...
but i reckon hes just in it for the publicity

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard. First she's not guilty because "it's not really something you'd do". Then "you wouldn't notice an extra 4kg in the bag anyway" and then "the laws are too strict, why can't she just get away with it?".

First of all, just because it's illogical to import drugs, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. It's illogical to buy a car when you work it out, but millions of people still do that.
Bodyboards are very light, and so the bag probably weighed only about 5-10 kgs to begin with. So, yeah, if she'd been carrying the bag around she would've/should've noticed the difference.
And the law's the law, if you go lightly on one person that doesn't exactly set the best example.

I'm not sure whether she's guilty or not, bu either way I reckon she's screwed. All the evidence that could've been in her favour has been destroyed (the security tapes are onl kept for a day or two after they're filmed etc.) and flying the convict from Melbourne really seems like a last resort - if I remember correctly he doesn't even have information about the case, just that he overheard baggage carriers talking about using other people's bags to smuggle drugs. So basically "it could've happened to her". And that's as bad a defense as miss gtr's.

Oh yeah, and importing drugs is NOT a victimless crime. No, she couldn't have smoked that much pot herself, so guess where the rest goes? Drug use is arguably a victimless crime, but importing or selling drugs is definitely not.

Scanorama

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Drug intake is a crime, but a victimless crime. BUT my main point is that.. ITS ONE PERSON, really cant they just give her a 2 year sentence and get it over and done with..im sure there are more grevious murders and stuff to take the limelight away from this case..its not exactly HUGE and world news shattering? is it? dont think so!
Drug is NOT a victimless crime, think about how many people died every year because of taking illegal durgs? And how many families break apart because of drugs, either directly or indirectly, and how many people lives are screwed because of drugs. Then you tell me if it is victimless crime or not.

And re your main point: I don't understand why many people have the same thought as you, but I don't blame them.
It's their country, their laws apply. If you travel to other countries than you have to respect their law. Even the government make it very clear of that. Something we don't regard as a serious offence, some other countries may regard it is very serious. Not only Indonesia has death penalty for drug smuggler, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and some other Asian countries also have the same law.

djmattyd

HSC
Now we're getting off the topic of Schapelle Corby herself, and into the Death penalty topic. I've posted my thoughts on the death penalty in that thread.

Yes, drugs and drug crimes have victims, but aren't drugs themselves a harsh enough punishment; we don't severly punish drug victims in Australia, because we see that the problems which drugs cause are punishment enough.

They should be rehabilitating, not killing them off.

As for Schapelle Corby, I honestly think she's innocent, I hope this prisoner helps have her acquitted of the crime.

Scanorama

HSC
jezzmo said:
The problem with thailands drug laws is that they enforce them very recklessly. This is the same country which declared martial law and shot thousands of "potential drug dealers or users" in a bid to crack down on drugs. There was no remorse for the shooting of 10-year old bystanders in this same frenzy. In the case of Corby, they had people with signs along the lines of "execute her! kill drug smugglers" etc before anyone had even heard a case on either side. You can see how much emotion and hatred of drugs is brought into this trial rather than factual evidence of Corby's guilt. Heck, their complete disregard for the preservation of evidence would have got an instant acquittal in Australia. So I think in the Corby case, given the stakes, it is fair for Australia to try and intervene diplomatically.
I don't disagreeing you, and as my post on the other thread on death penalty said, it may be a better method of punishment other than the death penalty. Fair enough of whats going on her case with protesters have the signs saying to kill her added to the emotion effects on the trial. But the bottom line it's the Indonesian law and as much as we disagree on their legal systems, their law is still indepedant from other countries (ie Australia) and the government has no right to intervene them, apart from helping Corby as much as they possibly can.

K

katie_tully

chewing gum in indonesia on occasion has resulted in jail terms, because it is illegal ... :(

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
jezzmo said:
Haha so you hear "the stupidest argument you've ever heard" and then you one-up it!
The car thing wasn't part of the argument, it was just an example of irrational things that people do. The fact that Corby could've made more money by selling the pot in Australia just means that, if she DID smuggle it in, she is either incredibly stupid or was thinking irrationally.

djmattyd

HSC
I'm sure any person would realise this. I don't think she is that stupid to ignore that fact. The whole case makes no sense, I don't understand how any human being could put a life in jeopardy by placing 4kgs of drugs into an innocent person's bodyboard bag. It's so disgusting.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
she's probably guilty, she doesn't look like a surfer, and how many bodyboarders are that into it to take their board overseas. though death penalty for the the crime is extremely harsh

HSC
My initial thoughts were that she was guilty, and a complete moron. Upon further thought though, I came to the conclusion that someone would have to be exceptionally stupid to place themselves knowingly in that predicament. The more I think about it, the more I tend towards believing that she's innocent, though that may well be a result of my bias against the potential death penalty.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
jezzmo said:
it was an argument by analogy :)

but you'll have to explain how buying a car is irrational, because I don't think it's a premise that can simply be assumed. many would say that their time is worth more than the price of running a car and that a car has been an overall benefit to their lives.
Buying a car is irrational, because the cost of the car and the cost of upkeep far outweighs the benefits. People are paying for the convenience, but it's completely illogical, when you think about it, to spend tens of thousands of dollars on something that is only ever going to depreciate in value, and that is harmful to the environment, when 9 times out of 10 there's another form of transport that you could use.
Maybe it wasn't the best example, but my point still stands - people do dumb stuff all the time, so you can't use "but that'd be a dumb thing to do" as a defence

persephone

HSC
I think she's innocent. And the whole death penalty thing for bringing in drugs into the country is so unfair.

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
Nup, she's guilty. However, I do think that the death penalty is a bit too much.

K

katie_tully

persephone said:
I think she's innocent. And the whole death penalty thing for bringing in drugs into the country is so unfair.
Why is it unfair? Drugs are illegal, if you don't respect the regulations concerning drug smuggling in a particular region, why should you be spared a fate similar to a native of that region for the same crime?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
She's claiming it's unfair, what she realises is that our laws and morals aren't objective.. they don't come out of no where, we have created them.
Some people simply have different morals, and while we may want to change them it's not so easy.

djmattyd

HSC
I still don't see how it can be moral to kill someone, no matter what nationality they are.

K

katie_tully

Ffs.

This has nothing to do with whether it is moral or not. The fact is, in Indonesia they still practice the death penalty, and any foreigner who goes there should be well aware of their rules and should abide by them.

Why should foreign people be spared the fate of an Indonesian person for the same crime? Because we don't agree with their legal system?

Tough cookies, they shouldn't have broken the law in that region in the first place.

This shouldn't turn into a debate about whether the death penalty is moral or not, as it isn't our place to tell another country what they should or should not do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)