School captain responsibilities (1 Viewer)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
I disagree, school captains ( the good ones at least) do a substantial amount of work, I have first hand experience trust me

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
most importantly they must know how to suck the principal and/or teachers off

Brian1800

HSC
Is it worth becoming vice school captain in Year 11? The thing is I want to become a school captain in Year 12, do universities look for these things? I want to one day study med that's y :)
Universities don't really care. They are gonna look for better achievements. Do you ever do international competitions for sports for example? Those are more impressive so they will look at those. School captains don't really do anything so it won't impress the people who are selecting from a bunch of candidates.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Are you sure?

I think you're discounting the school captains (the good ones) who actually put in effort to make a significance contribution to the school. And to be honest, you're just stereotyping; yes, there are those who do jack squat, but that shouldn't discourage potential candidates from having a go, and change that perception some may have of such a position.

Speed, I challenge you to go beyond the expectations and do something that will make a huge difference.
Challenge accepted, in Year 12 I will let you know, thanks for the awesome motivating words!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Universities don't really care. They are gonna look for better achievements. Do you ever do international competitions for sports for example? Those are more impressive so they will look at those. School captains don't really do anything so it won't impress the people who are selecting from a bunch of candidates.
What they would morseo look for is the depth of your involvement and what you have done. So yes they would consider your duties as a School Captain for scholarships and what not, but they would want some substance from it (so what you did and how much involvement you had as a good captain).

Also on the topic, generally you will have to do mainly ushering responsibilities during school events, speak at assemblies and give advice. However there is much more that can be done outside of this, which is entirely within your hands. You can discuss certain school policies with staff, bring in new initiatives towards making the school community better in general, increase awareness of school events and policies for other students and parents, build a more integrated school community, introduce new and fun school events, host fundraising events (went really damn well for our formal budget raising about $2000 at some 5 manned bbq's in just one day and we did it a few times), etc.

There's a lot that you can do but it's just about how you approach the role. You can do bare minimum and get by fine with the role (not really much to it if you do bare minimum), or you can take advantage of the situation and do the best for the school as a whole.

Also, if you do take advantage of the situation, you might be able to find yourself becoming a much more proficient team worker and leader. Again, it all depends on how you approach the role.

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
School Captain responsibilities
a) Jerk off the principle
b) Look good
c) a) & b) at the same time (Not common)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)