School friends vs. Uni friends (1 Viewer)

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
My friend says there are hotties at Sydney. Unlike my degree, where there are 984759657965 girls to one boy :(.

So I will :D.

BlackDragon

HSC
Nupil said:
Wow.

If you're comfortable with the people you've 'grown up with' and don't see any real reason in making 'new' friends at Uni - you're not going to put in half the effort (No matter what anyone says, every relationship requires effort) than someone who had a horrid time at High School that always felt they didn't like anyone there.
I totally agree with Nupil. I'm having a horrid time in yr 12 and have drifted away from alot of my friends. so although i can't compare yet, i can say that i'm looking forward to making some really good friends at uni and that it really depends where your at going into uni that will determine how strong you bond with the people you are going to meet there. and visa versa. people might not be making as strong friends at uni due to the fact that the people around them don't want or need friends. etc etc.

bradc1988

HSC
Uni friends are ... different.

Don't really have much in common with many people at all, so small talk is severely lacking. No one has a similar sense of humour either, hmmm.

Different.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
dude fucking move your wrist that extra bit further to two posts up and she tells you.

snickerdoodle said:
Journalism @ UTS. I like it coz Maccas is so close :eek: .

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
Having friends at uni is really cool, but not the same as having friends from school.

With my uni friends, I just don't feel comfortable with them yet to hit the clubs on a Friday night, whereas I feel comfortable partying with my school friends. It's just that I'm more comfortable with people I've known for basically ages.

Time will only tell... it will change... your group of friends will change as you get older... all we got to do is go with the flow, and let things happen.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Interesting topic!

It is very difficult to make friends in Uni because you dont have same classes with others in every subject. Accounting , new people, business new people and like that so before you really became friends the semester is over. Also when trying to be friendly with other you can be mistaken for a gay guy hitting on another guy. Difficult! :p

*hopeful*

HSC
i think lectures and tutes and friends of the new friends u make
i basically only made 'new' friends in 1st year and then they introduced me to their friends and the circle continues.
Nowadays if i must i make small talk friends in tutes etc, u know the type u'll wave at a semester later but never stop and talk to.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Tutes mainly. And I agree with sweetcherry that you just go with the flow regarding making uni friends. You sit with a bunch of interesting looking people, talk to them, and if it doesn't work, move on. Until by the end, you should have several bunches of 'random' friends who never actually know the other. I've made some separate friends with friends of my original friend (I'm always better, though, with people whom I meet through others, for some strange reason)--I think 4 so far, another with another friend of friend, and so on and so far. I also have two friends outside of pharmacy, the other day, I went with my Engineering friend to Engo Revue where I caught up with more of her friends, etc.

Uni is about experimentation--it's not just about your identity, your academic choices, but also about making friends and the social scene. Volunteering and clubs and socs are also a good way to go--I've made some other friends just from volunteering with Careers Day and hopefully I'll meet a few more interesting people at Pharmacy stall on Open Day!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I guess it really depends on how much one has contact with uni friends. Like a previous poster said, someone doing commerce would be with a different cohort each subject and each semester.

Most law students are pretty tight-knit, as you'd see the same group of people every week for 5 years. Even more so for chiro, vet students or any course with a low candidature.

I couldn't agree with lala2 more - uni is what you make it of it. If you just go to your classes and then go home every day, it's gonna be pretty lame. Get involved!

gjlane

HSC
I have a really close group of mates from home I also work back home so I see a fair bit of em. I think my problem was I never really commited to making uni friends. I went to collage and had a ball met heaps of cool people but there was this jocks vs nerd thing and they all hated each other instead of choosing the mates I felt closest too ( the nerds ) I went the middle ground with some other guys I knew. Cause I had a few mates in teh jocks group. (complicated) I also had attitude that I have me mates at home so dont need to get to invloved up here but my course is five years so it would have been cool to get some close mates. Probly should stuck with the guys i felt most in common with cause know i dont really have close mates at uni who i can have a wicked time with more like a lot of aquaintances as other people have talked about.
The good side is me mates from home are wicked so when im home i am popular and when im at uni i feel like a bit of an outcast weird.
So in conclusion me mates from home are wicked and me mates from uni are not nearly as cool but perhaps thats my fault for not commiting to uni mates.
Intrested in others comments about all this as it plays on me mind a bit

HSC
my perspective is, uni or high school friends, there is always gonna be change, you can have many friends, but true friends, you only have a one or two.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
high school friends will stick by you for the rest of your life
who knows maybe by the time you graduate from uni, youll make other close uni friends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)