• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Netbooks are here! (1 Viewer)

Would you want one of the School Lenovo s10e Netbooks?

• Yes

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • No

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

Bemboka

HSC
I didn't say anything about pron???

Anyway most of the time you cant do your schoolwork at school because half the websites are blocked!

Last edited:

tarraganda

HSC
To all you sophisticated know it alls out there, excluding Bemboka cause he knows what he is talking about...
The point of them is to use the internet and unless your school is up to date and has wireless installled in the complex.
Also when you take it home apparantly it is rendered useless cause you cant connect to any external wireless networks!!!
Good on you bemboka, at least you have substantiated and factual information!!!

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I don't see a problem other than the processor which can not properly run some of the software like CS4. The RAM and size of the screen are fine. I think these will be useful overall and we will see the effects once they become available.

This was a good move and is one to be commended. Overall it will not be seen as a waste of money and will do a lot to benefit our education system. Hopefully we can one day fully eliminate the use of "books" and other such tools of education which can not be transmitted remotely. If this is a move into the future then I embrace it.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Oh well year 11s don't get one.
A free laptop/netbook is a free laptop/netbook. People shouldn't complain when they are given something free. Unless it's a hook to the face, in which case complain like a grumpy old man.
a) I don't get one at all, ever. So I'm not complaining. I'm pointing out obvious fucking logical flaws.
b) It's not free - it's taxpayer dollars, and they're being wasted. And I say this as someone who is perfectly fine with taxation for rational purposes.

And somebody remind me again why kids need their own individual government-mandated time waster in classrooms? I seem to recall I got by OK without one.

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Hopefully we can one day fully eliminate the use of "books" and other such tools of education which can not be transmitted remotely.
Trust a fucking communist sympathiser to champion the elimination of books.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I didn't say anything about pron???

Anyway most of the time you cant do your schoolwork at school because half the websites are blocked!
To all you sophisticated know it alls out there, excluding Bemboka cause he knows what he is talking about...
The point of them is to use the internet and unless your school is up to date and has wireless installled in the complex.
Also when you take it home apparantly it is rendered useless cause you cant connect to any external wireless networks!!!
Good on you bemboka, at least you have substantiated and factual information!!!
Oh My, whats this? A Ethernet Port? NO WAI!

Learn your facts dipshits.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
more people will play games rather than do actual work. It's a shame how it's going out to the Year 9's and not to the Year 11's.

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
tbqh these notebooks are pretty much redundant by the time the election comes by.

Is Krudd going to give us another education revolution?

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
how are they putting windows 7 without it been released yet unless if they are giving out RC's, but then they are going to upgrade once the final version comes out???

also they should of put linux on, and open source software, i would hate the idea of filtered internet at home.

oh and 8.9 inch screens generally have 1024x600 resolutions not 800x600

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Net is not filtered at home, DET portals block websites.

So if you use the schools network, it goes through the DET portal.

At home its unfiltered, unless parents have filtered it with a nanny or something.

tarraganda

HSC
This is not a place to bag the crap out of each other, its a place to talk about the god dam laptops. Get over it you people, this is an exceptional circumstance, if you get one you will have the shits and if you dont you will also have the shits. World War III isnt starting on here......

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
This is not a place to bag the crap out of each other, its a place to talk about the god dam laptops. Get over it you people, this is an exceptional circumstance, if you get one you will have the shits and if you dont you will also have the shits. World War III isnt starting on here......
lolwhut?

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Net is not filtered at home, DET portals block websites.

So if you use the schools network, it goes through the DET portal.

At home its unfiltered, unless parents have filtered it with a nanny or something.
umm according to a leaflet that my little brother got you still have the det filter at home.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
umm according to a leaflet that my little brother got you still have the det filter at home.
Yeah your right, just asked my teacher since we didnt get any leaflets, its a built in program that filters everything, including the downloading of executable files.

Bemboka

HSC
Yeah your right, just asked my teacher since we didnt get any leaflets, its a built in program that filters everything, including the downloading of executable files.
That sucks... If i was to get one, I'd format it and reinstall everything.

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
Only year 9 students get the laptop because these technologies lapse out every 4 years. Usually computers get upgraded every four years so they are up to date. They will be not much use for them when they finish highschool.

Each year, every year 9 students get them anyway, it is fair to everyone except the current year 10 - 12.

How can a laptop not improve students education? Get real, laptops are one of the most useful technologies today. It allows people to do many things. Sure they can't access websites such as youtube. But there are plenty of other websites for them to access for general information. The money spent on these laptop will probably improve student's daily life in the long term, especially when it is for the earlier years. Any development in education is better than any other investment with the tax payers money anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)