School rank doesn't count? (1 Viewer)

Lexii-

HSC
I got this UAC letter in the mail today, as I'm sure you all did, and one of the Q+A's is:

"Does the school I attend matter?
No. The school attended does not feature in the UAI calculation. The UAI calculation is based only on marks provided by the Board; no other information is used."

So how come when people estimate UAI's on here, they always ask for school rank?

HSC
The rank of the school is not used in the calculation of the UAI; but the performance of the school cohort (indicated by the rank of the school) does affect the calculation of the UAI.

Edit: What letter ?? I didn't get one :(

Lukybear

HSC
kevinx2 said:
The rank of the school is not used in the calculation of the UAI; but the performance of the school cohort (indicated by the rank of the school) does affect the calculation of the UAI.

Edit: What letter ?? I didn't get one :(
but that fallacoius, the previous year rank of your school dosent decide the intelligence of your cohort....

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Lexii- said:
I got this UAC letter in the mail today, as I'm sure you all did, and one of the Q+A's is:

"Does the school I attend matter?
No. The school attended does not feature in the UAI calculation. The UAI calculation is based only on marks provided by the Board; no other information is used."

So how come when people estimate UAI's on here, they always ask for school rank?
People ask for school ranks to give a better ESTIMATE. In the real thing, school ranks/marks are moderated in accordance to the state-wide external exams, so the distribution of marks roughly follows that in the more "accurate" external exams.

HSC
Lukybear said:
but that fallacoius, the previous year rank of your school dosent decide the intelligence of your cohort....
Yeah but that's the only way people can provide estimates, and school rank is not likely to jump around a lot.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Well for example:
If someone is coming 10th/20 at a school ranked in the top 10
then they are likely to be achieving better results than someone going to a school ranked 500th and is also coming 10th/20

and so thats why people ask for the school ranking, other than that it has no bearing on the HSC results

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The school rank for this year's cohort will be determined by this year's results AFTER all the calculations have been done.

In other words the rank your school had last year will have no bearing on your results this year - either HSC or UAI. In fact it is the reverse - your results in the HSC will determine the rank of your school this year.

My school dropped about 300 places last year and yet we wouldn't be surprised if we jumped about 300 places this year - just a few slightly brighter students who should get us an extra half dozen or so Band 6s and that big a jump can happen (we have had it happen before like that too).

Affinity

HSC
Lukybear said:
No it doesn't... but it is usually uncannily similar... people need to understand that official sources are just that.. they tell you what is technically correct.. and omit certain things

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)