School ranking. What is it and is mine good? (1 Viewer)

moosa7021

HSC
I keep seeing the term school rankings whenever I come across a "I got 20% in English as a Second Language, can I still get 90+ ATAR?" post. Can someone explain how school rankings work and what numbers I should be looking out for? I looked up mine and its 145. Thoughts?

red152

HSC
School rankings are numbers that show how well schools have done in the HSC overall in comparison to other schools. A school ranking of 145 is not too bad.

giabaoftdt

HSC
I am not an expert in this field but I know school does matter in the way that how your cohort will perform. School ranking indicates the pattern of performance of HSC students from your school. If they did well, the rank should not fluctuate significantly over years. Then, when it comes to your year, if it keeps the same pattern, your cohort will perform similarly to the previous cohort. And you know, the whole cohort doing well can raise your mark or in the other way, your mark will be scaled down.

Frostguard

HSC
Basically school rankings are so important because it is usually an indicator of your performance based off your cohort's performance. Basically the lower ranked the school, the more unpredictable your ATAR can be. James Ruse and other top schools usually have ATAR estimates of 97+ because everyone in the cohort is good and help each other, so rankings within the school aren't as dramatic and ATAR-changing as lower schools. Eg trying to estimate an ATAR in a 200 ranked school is much more difficult than say a 5 ranked school because in a 200 ranked school you may get 80 or 95, you can never really guess what you'll get because it largely depends on your cohort/grade's performance. On the other hand a school ranked 5th would, I wouldn't say accurate but a more clear-cut ATAR estimate because all the students there would get similar marks in their examinations and assessments because they all help each other and are generally very smart.
Hopefully this cleared up some problems idk i was typing this during a league game LOL but basically the lower the school rank, the more inconsistent and inaccurate an ATAR estimate can be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)