Schooling and gaming (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Do you play computer/console games during school term, and if so does it affect your academic performance at school.

Discuss. :)

undalay

HSC
cs01001 said:
Do you play computer/console games during school term, and if so does it affect your academic performance at school.

It really depends how much you play, why you play, and how good you are at managing time.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
undalay said:
It really depends how much you play, why you play, and how good you are at managing time.
Exactly.
Depends on your natural instinctual capability to manage and retain your school performance when gaming tries to take hold of you.

cccclaire

HSC
yeh I'm a total Yoshis island addict, but I'm pretty sure thats not the kind of gaming you're talking about =]

but really, you can play those computer games, but you have to have discipline with yourself, and tell yourself after like an hour "hang on, thats enough, study now". If you're not the sort of person to be able to do that, then I wouldn't try it because you'll just keep saying "one more hour" which will make you fall totally behind on your school-work.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
cccclaire said:
yeh I'm a total Yoshis island addict, but I'm pretty sure thats not the kind of gaming you're talking about =]

but really, you can play those computer games, but you have to have discipline with yourself, and tell yourself after like an hour "hang on, thats enough, study now". If you're not the sort of person to be able to do that, then I wouldn't try it because you'll just keep saying "one more hour" which will make you fall totally behind on your school-work.
OMG I used to love playing Yoshi's Island on GBA when I was in Year 7.
Full pwned the game w/ all 6000 pts.

cccclaire

HSC
f3nr15 said:
OMG I used to love playing Yoshi's Island on GBA when I was in Year 7.
Full pwned the game w/ all 6000 pts.
I play it on DS, but I also have it on super-nintendo.
I have one level left before I get to the final boss and half-yearlies next week which isn't really a good combination.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:

Year 9- Played MMORPG games for like nearly every night. Did crap in school.
Year 10- Played no games except in the holidays. Best grades I've ever got in school so far :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
cccclaire said:
I play it on DS, but I also have it on super-nintendo.
I have one level left before I get to the final boss and half-yearlies next week which isn't really a good combination.
Final boss or final exams .... that's a good dilemma ...

cs01001

HSC
cccclaire said:

Yeah, actually GBA games can be quite addictive, hahah good old Pokemon Silver :) Unfortunately I am the sort of person who can't really control myself once I start. I always tell my self 'ok, just one more hour' and eventually it turns out to be a few hours. I guess I will probably keep gaming in the holidays.
f3nr15 said:
LOL

Kujah said:
Year 10- Played no games except in the holidays. Best grades I've ever got in school so far :)
Yeah, what MMORPG games did you play? and do you still game? Today in Economics, I heard this guy say 'Oh, I played WoW like almost everyday cause there were so little work in Year 10'. Makes me regret not bluding enough in junior years :( No games in the first term of year 11 seemed to work...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:
YYeah, what MMORPG games did you play? and do you still game? Today in Economics, I heard this guy say 'Oh, I played WoW like almost everyday cause there were so little work in Year 10'. Makes me regret not bluding enough in junior years :( No games in the first term of year 11 seemed to work...
I did play WoW for a little bit, but I was hooked up on a game that my friends were playign (called Tibia). How lame, when I look back at it. The graphics are absolutely shit, and the gameplay is so boring now. Pokemon was pretty addictive =D

Meh, I've only play games on holidays now. Once school starts, the un-install button is used =)

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Kujah said:
Haha, exactly the same for me!

But yeh, time management is the key :santa: .

cs01001

HSC
I did pretty decent in Year 9 and quite crap in Year 10.

cccclaire

HSC
f3nr15 said:

I totally just beat the final boss.
So I guess now I can focus on exams =]

HSC
Gaming hours a day average at home: 5 hours

working hours average at home: 2 hours

how does it affect my school academic results?
none at all
above average results

play psp tekken DR through most classes. Yr 11 is boring
the teachers start whipping us one week before the test so we have 9 weeks to bludge

It really depends how good you are at managing time.

HSC
i use to play it all the time in year 11, buh dai 1 year 12, i deleted all my games of my comp (60 gigs of it!), now i dun play n e thing

steban

violin dude
HSC
i told myself i was gonna start final fantasy 12 when it came out (im totally IN LOVE with final fantasy!!), but i stayed focus and rebelled, i want to full focus on work until after HSC.

Im thinking of buyin it before it goes platinum, so i have a pretty cd keke, then ill play it during the 6 week holidays or during any freetime i have. Im good at resisting temptation ..(..sometimes..)

Evergreen

HSC
on weekdays i play around 2-3hours a day of games (not that much since i come home at 5pm). on weekends i play around 5hrs a day. on holidays i usually play around 14hrs when i stay at home.

since its year 11 im not worrying that much. Year 11 stuff isnt being tested in year 12 you just need basic foundations which I already have. Also i dont play MMORPGS so thats a good thing. i mostly play battlefield 2 (jet rapage). after HSC ill get a new computer and play all the recent games !

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
none on weekdays
2-3 hours a day on weekends
and around 6-7 hours a day on the holidays. followed by intensive studying due to me forgetting everything about school due to games.

Thus i'm trying to limit my gaming time, but i'm finding it difficult. I hate studying.. :(

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
tamaranadine said:
ew, i hate games.
the last game i ever played was 5 years ago, and it was some rugrats game on ps1.

games are a complete waste of time, are boring and stupid. At least on bos I am doing something kind of educational (I use that term loosely)
ahaha ! i have that rugrats game & i loved it ! ahaha .. especially the mini golf part. =]

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
tamaranadine said:
lol, its the only game i have ever enjoyed
lols thats kinda depressing for me to hear that. ><"

although you have your views of games, there are really good games out there !! but i must agreee, complete waste of perfectly good time ! but oh-so-lovely ! lol .. i cant decide !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)