Science Course --> What career? (2 Viewers)

-Anfernee-

HSC
It doesn't relate to science, Cookie182 is just a surfie tool whos had one too many wipeouts.

Last edited:

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Just curious, what goes on at CERN? Cause it sounds interesting? I think my parents would kill me if I went overseas though, lol.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
-Anfernee- said:
It doesn't relate to science, Cookie182 is just a surfie tool whos had one too many wipeouts.
Most likely- they've all been well worth it as well :)

Im guessing you can't surf????

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Charity F said:
Yeah i was tossing up with a Science degree as well. But the scene's pretty crap in Australia, yeah? No funding being the main problem. I have a friend who started his PhD this year in Pharmacy, and he said that he was offered it and snapped it up because such funding isn't a commonality.

Except for Neurology, and Chemistry, most other research fields aren't really catered for in Australia. And Renewable energy is coming up too.

Is this right?
I think you might be a little bit confused with PhD scholarships and funding/grants. Yes it is hard to get offered a PhD scholarship which supports your study for the entire length of your PhD. The scholarship is usually $20,000 to $30,000 p.a for up to 3.5 years. And to gain such scholarship you will need a good first class Hons (around 90 in your Honours year). There are a set number of scholarships to be awarded each year so as you can imagine the scholarship is highly competitive.

Funding refers to whether the lab has money to support itself (costs associated with purchasing equipments, reagents, salary for post-doc scientists). Funding is also hard to come by because usually only around 30% of the applications for funding are successful each year. If there is no funding, there is no research.

puglover

HSC
i love study.

wow Survivor39 you are cool.
*skips away*

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Cookie182 said:
Im doing commerce/law i also weap for the future- at the moment im tossing up between Woolies or Coles however Aldi certainly does appear to be a lucrative contender.
I wasnt being pretentious with this comment- more or less saying that even in a degree which is percieved as having good career prospects, unless i get the marks i too could end up at the end with a useless degree. While science may have a lower demand for jobs in some areas, if you love it the marks will come and so will the opportunities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)