Science Fiction (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything on Arthur C. Clarke, or Stephen Baxter. Both are incredible authors.

If you're new to the genre, may I reccomend the "Manifold" series by Stephen Baxter. The first book "Time" is one of the best novels I have ever read (And there's a bonus, some 10 year old kids prove the Riemann hypothesis!). And even if you're a veteran, this particular trilogy (plus some extra short stories at the end in "Phase Space") are definately worth looking into.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
The only Star Wars books that are worth reading are those from the X-Wing series and 'I, Jedi'. Timothy Zahn's Thrawn books are ok, too.

Just an idea for anyone who may have considered reading within the Star Wars universe.

I've read alot of Stawars books, and many of them were kind of bad. So yeah, I agree perfectly.

However, I came across, in my local library, the original Starwars book. It was published in 1976, and based on the screen play for A New Hope. It follows the movie closeky, but since it was based on the original screen play there are scenes that aren't in the movie.
It's worth reading just for that I think. It tells more fully how Darth vader came about.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I rather like the Dune series. I reckon the best novel was the best though. Gurney Halleck was a pretty good character.
"Play a tune with one hand and kill you with the other."
I am disappointed though that Frank Herbet died before finishing the series.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Arthur C Clark, Isaac Asimov. I worship Asimov :p (not Foundation series tho)

Dirk Gently is awesome too.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Originally posted by Misturi
Would Enders game be sci fi? l rekpon it would be.

Anyways l liek enders game because its a world unlike our own and it has a really good twist at the end...has anyone else read it?
Ender's Game is MOST DEFINANTLY sci-fi, mate. A classic, really - I love it myself. Too bad my school doesn't prescribe it as a text.

Anyway, my favorite Sci-Fi books have got to be the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds; anything by Robert J. Sawyer and David Weber (especially his collaboration with John Ringo, the March series); Dune; 2001: A Space Odyssey; that big fat series by Peter F. Hamilton; Robert Heinlein and Joe Haldeman - shit, pretty much anything, really. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)