Science Help - Designing an Investigation (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
When it asks a question, 'Design an investigation', what do we do. Do we write a scientific report, or what?

I mean in the School Certificate if it asked that question

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Lodgic said:
Well it means design an experiment - so you could(should) include: Aim, hypothesis, apparatus, method, results, conclusion, discussion

You should of done 'scientific method', so just use that to go by.

Also note your:
i) Dependent Variable - What you expect to see a change in.
ii) Independent Variable - What you change on purpose to get you dependant variable.
ii) Controlled variables - variables that are constant throughtout the experiment.

For graphing - if required:
In the graphing of data, the dependent variable goes on the y-axis,while the independent variable goes on the x-axis.
Good response lodgic :).

cassie62442

Mischief Managed
HSC
Yeah, do we have to actually write it in the scientific report format? Because my teacher said that we could just do it in dot form. If it's our extended response I should probably do it in full though....

HSC
i can send you mine if you want

"The rate of fall an aircraft falls in relation to its weight distribution"

you could just follow the format I did..

got 30/30 for it =]

studentcheese

HSC
If you have to design an experiment, that means you don't have to include results, conclusion and discussion. It is just a plan of how you are going to do the experiment.

Include an aim, hypothesis, method and diagram.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is just how we did it in our yearlys.

Remember to list the independent and dependent variable + which variables you are going to control

MissGiggles

HSC
its a science test, not english, so all extended response is allowed to be in dot point according to my science teacher, but you still want to write it out in basic report format with a half legible line for aim, hypothesis, etc...

and you don't need to be a genius to know you won't be doing an experiment in the middle of the exam. no results...no graphs or crap like that so it stops at the variables

bored of sc

HSC
Designing an experiment is basically limited to:
Aim
Hypothesis
Appartus
Method
Description of how you will record results
Variables (independent, dependent, controlled, controls etc).

You do not need to give results, conclusion, discussion etc since it is a design, not a full investigation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)