Science & science/x combined questions (1 Viewer)

hap

HSC
Hey all,

It's coming down to decision time and I have a few questions in store.

I was considering doing a BSc (Adv) at either USyd or UNSW. Though there is not much difference between doing the two, I was wondering whether if I decided to do postgrad med at, say, UNSW, it would be easier if I was already within the uni?

As well as this, I had a few concerns about the employability of a BSc degree, even with honours. Would this improve significantly if coupled with a Commerce or Law (though my UAI is only high enough for UTS/Macq)?

And within a combined degree, is it possible to major in TWO areas of science? I want to have more of a focus in science, so I'm leaning towards commerce, as I imagine the focus would be on Law in combined law.

And to ward off the oncoming criticisms, yes I am interested in all three areas... yet science is one that I am more interested in. My ATAR was also 98.10 if that helps in any way.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

ddtng

HSC
As well as this, I had a few concerns about the employability of a BSc degree, even with honours. Would this improve significantly if coupled with a Commerce or Law (though my UAI is only high enough for UTS/Macq)?
Well it probably would, but if your major focus point is going to be your science, would it really be worth it doing half a degree on something purely for job reasons, and leaving less degree space to actually learn the science?

And within a combined degree, is it possible to major in TWO areas of science? I want to have more of a focus in science, so I'm leaning towards commerce, as I imagine the focus would be on Law in combined law.
It probably would be. Depends on which uni and how their degrees are set out. It may require a bit of fiddling. And don't pick law simply because you think it's good. If you don't like it you'll regret it and hate it.

And to ward off the oncoming criticisms, yes I am interested in all three areas... yet science is one that I am more interested in. My ATAR was also 98.10 if that helps in any way.
Three areas? You've listed four. Best you decide which you really want to study because there's no way you'll be able to pursue all four.

ssglain

HSC
hap said:
I was wondering whether if I decided to do postgrad med at, say, UNSW, it would be easier if I was already within the uni?
UNSW doesn't have a graduate medicine program. You might be thinking about the graduate entry stream into its undergraduate MBBS program that is only available to the top 15 B Medical Science students.

Regardless, if you decide to try for a graduate medicine program at a university which offers it (e.g. USyd), it doesn't matter what bachelor degree you've done or where you did it. GPA + GAMSAT + interview is (usually) all they look at.

hap said:
I had a few concerns about the employability of a BSc degree, even with honours. Would this improve significantly if coupled with a Commerce or Law
Most B Sc/B Com graduates end up in jobs that focuses on one over the other. So do you want to be 1) a science graduate with some commerce knowledge, or 2) a commerce graduate with some science knowledge?

In either case, if you're vaguely interested in science in a commercial context or commerce in a scientific context, then the combining B Sc (Adv) and B Com is pretty good starting point for you. You can always drop one of the degrees if you decide that you really don't like it.

hap said:
And within a combined degree, is it possible to major in TWO areas of science?
You can definitely fit two science majors in a B Sc (Adv)/B Com at USyd - one major in 3rd year and the second major spread across 4th/5th year. (Look at the recommended course plan under Combined Science/Commerce degrees.

Not too sure about UNSW. You'd need to look at their course handbooks.

tanna

HSC
Most B Sc/B Com graduates end up in jobs that focuses on one over the other. So do you want to be 1) a science graduate with some commerce knowledge, or 2) a commerce graduate with some science knowledge?

You can definitely fit two science majors in a B Sc (Adv)/B Com at USyd - one major in 3rd year and the second major spread across 4th/5th year. (Look at the recommended course plan under Combined Science/Commerce degrees.
So you can major in two science disciplines? Nice. But does this mean that you major in two or one areas for the commerce component?

How would you go about doing option 1: becoming a science graduate with some commerce knowledge? I personally would like to focus on the science but from what I've read, it seems the focus is always on the commerce (besides, the course is administered by the Faculty of Business or whatever it's called).

Thanks for the help!

ssglain

HSC
tanna said:
So you can major in two science disciplines? Nice. But does this mean that you major in two or one areas for the commerce component?
Looking at the recommended course plan again, it certainly looks like you have enough "senior commerce electives" to use for a second commerce major.

tanna said:
How would you go about doing option 1: becoming a science graduate with some commerce knowledge? I personally would like to focus on the science but from what I've read, it seems the focus is always on the commerce (besides, the course is administered by the Faculty of Business or whatever it's called).
If you're not interested in commerce enough to spend an extra two years for a combined degree, then you can just do a straight B Sc (Adv) and take electives or even a major in commerce. In fact, the first three years of combined B Sc (Adv)/B Com is pretty much that. Then in 4th/5th year you do mostly commerce subjects and get an elective slot every semester to fit in a second science major if you like.

But you shouldn't think that the focus of the combined B Sc (Adv)/B Com degree is on commerce by default. True, the administration of the degree is managed by the Faculty of Economics and Business, but the science is taught by the Faculty of Science in the same classes as anyone else doing a straight B Sc (Adv).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)