Science: Student research project, any ideas? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Should do something like

"How does the wavelength of light affect plant growth"

Simply just get a few pots, put a few seeds in each, wrap with different coloured cellophane (acts like a wavelength filter), put some holes in it so that our good ole friend Oxygen can get into it and leave in the Sun :)

Measure rate of growth over a period of a couple weeks and there you go

Pretty simple, sounds quite interesting

Got all the variables, can have a control group, etc...

That's the example i did with my year 10's (top class) about 5 of them are using it and we'll see in 2 weeks when it is due if it went alright :)
Woooo, interesting! Looks simple but yet very interesting wow...

At our school we had this guy making this crazy project involving sound and activation of some kind of robot. He got to like national level omg.

maths94

HSC
my experiment was...which brand of washing powder eliminates stains off a piece of cloth most succefully?

de__locke

HSC
I did the effects of different soaps on bacteria and I failed it [13/30], lol.
We were given about 10 weeks to do it and I left it all to the last two weeks, so that was stupid already.
But the SRP isn't as important as science teachers make it out to be :]

xMaFF

HSC
I think I want to start something like,

"What makes apples turn brown"

I don't think my parents would let me do it though.
They're big on not wasting food.
Even if it's for the sake of a science assignment.

-places apple in the backyard, parents watching-
-dinner later that night, the same apple- ...

DarkChild69's idea looks pretty good ;]

Dumbledore

HSC
i did the rate of decrease of intensity of light in torches over periods of time with varying brands of batteries, it was expensive but it was an easy one

EDIT: oh yea! go energizer!

maths94

HSC
was it napi-san that won??:haha:
haha it was like equal results between radiant and napi-san lol i got marked really well for it 24/30 only marks deducted was my bibliography and background information. If you wanna do this one send me a pm i can help u out

Last edited:

acevipa

HSC
How about which combination of electrode and electrolyte produces the greatest e.m.f. So basically just make your own battery by combining different electrodes (e.g. copper, zinc, aluminium, etc...) and different electrolytes (e.g. lemon, tomato, water, beer, potato, etc...). Then just get a multimeter and record the voltage.

taha kassab

HSC
This is the first major project for yr 10's, although we have more than a month to complete it, I'm just wondering if any past yr 10ers have any experiments which have been successful to share with me. All I need is advice from successful experiments and as there are many restrictions imposed on this project, I would like to hear of some ideas. Is there anything vital that I should include in the project?

thanks , anonymous
i did the same thing but in yr 9
and i failed 4 doin a shit experiment

Rgo

HSC
For year 8 we had this thing...I did one on plants...'which on grew better a flower in sunlight during mornings or a flower in sunlight in the afternoon'.
I think I got ok...

And now for yr 10 i have to do another one....and it can't be on plants...
*sigh*

zxreth

HSC
i did "does your age affect the ability to taste salt?" i know it sounds shit but i got good marks for it :)

Kat92

HSC
my experiment was...which brand of washing powder eliminates stains off a piece of cloth most succefully?
lol, I completed something similar to this except I think mine was with different solvents and fabrics. A very easy project to do as you have many variables that you can work with.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
LOLOL this project is so shit i remember doing it the day before it was due. I even got 100%. The experiment was 'What factors affect the consolidation of water into ice?'

ismile

HSC
MBA OR MS, ALL MANAGEMENT , ACCOUNTING
dessertations, projects, proposals, reflective reports or ASSIGNMENTS, VERY LOW FEES, NO PLAGIARISMS- CONTACT AT mrmdismail@yahoo.com<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SPAN>

StuntChicken

HSC
i have no idea what i'm going to do ??? i want to do something interesting but not too complicated but obviously that isn't a good combination!
I know exactly what you mean. After changing my idea about 10 000 times I went with "How are coloured shadows created" I like it because:

a) Its not messy and you dont have to rely on people to tell you results
b) It has easily documentational results
c) It can be studied in depth for an A or you can just go for a pass
d) Its interesting and makes awesome colours in your room :p

Give it a google and see what you think.

Fusakin

www.fusakin.com
HSC
I recall doing this research project in Year 9. I did 'Does age affect a human's reaction time?' It was pretty easy, had a mark over 90%.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
haha it was like equal results between radiant and napi-san lol i got marked really well for it 24/30 only marks deducted was my bibliography and background information. If you wanna do this one send me a pm i can help u out
maths94, im in dire need of your help for my science thingo T_T

i just need to know what you used to stain the cloths, what material and size were the cloths, what was the amount of the substance did you use to stain the cloth, how did you measure how much of the stain is removed?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)