Screwed the HSC up already (1 Viewer)

BWA

I'm doing my HSC this year but I know I have already failed. Since school started I have only been about 45-50% of the time and the days I turned up I usually left early without signing out.

I go to a private school so I am suppose to be motivated and hardworking. I am in the top 20% for most subjects but my effort grades are all Cs and Ds. Of course that isn't good enough for anyone.

I have major problems at home and therefore I have been out drinking every night since the start of year 11. I go through about 1-2 bottles of scotch a week.

I am so sick of everything- I lie to everyone, I don't go to school because I don't want to get in trouble, and the only person I trust is my boyfriend.

What am I suppose to do? What is the point of the HSC? I have no motivation at all.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
For a start - STAY IN SCHOOL
Ur in the top 20% for all your subjects, so ur not exactly a dumbarse, so why throw that away? the point of doing the HSC is so that u have a pathway into university, and ultimately, a rewarding career..so if that is important to u, stop drinking every night and study instead - work towards a goal and reward urself afterwards. Also, u mentioned u have problems at home, I dont want to become insensitive about that coz I dun kno the situation, but if possible, try to keep that external to ur study - like study at a library if ur home environment isnt suitable..?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I was a little bit like that as well...gave up completely and decided to quit school in the very early weeks of year 12. I had my sign out sheet and everything-the only reason I didn't leave was cos I didn't know how to tell my parents I was droppping out so I kept putting it off...and then the next thing I knew it was 4 weeks til the HSC, so I figured it was now or never!
Hmmm...I don't really know how you can motivate yourself, but speaking for myself-I am very very glad I stayed through year 12. I somehow got the marks I needed for my first preference at UNI, and am enjoying my course. But it all depends on what you want to do I guess...I suggest you keep at it til the end of year 12 even if you're not sure if you want to go to UNI, cos at least you'll have the option there, but at the same time-theres no point stressing out over getting a brilliant UAI if you don't think you'll be needing it. Just think about what you want to do, and go with the flow I guess...when you look back next year you will realise that year 12 has the potential of being a really fantastic year, so don't waste it! I know that sounds really corny and like something your year 12 coordinator would say, but ask absolutely anyone who's done the HSC-it's totally true.

yr12

HSC
Make the most of it, its your last year of school.

Im having an absolute ball at the moment and you should be too!

I know its hard to get enthused about something you hate, but think about it, YOU are the only one that can turn this situation around. Start tomorrow and take small steps.
*Stay a whole day at school,
*Keep out of trouble,
*Come home and do all the homework due the next day.
*Take some time out and then do some study for your fave subject (or least hated subject).

If you build up and take each day as it comes you'll soon be on the right track and loving Year 12 like most people do. Its your last year, you don't wanna look back in 10 years time and regret wasting it.

Goodluck!!

And don't think you can't do it. Anyone can do it, but they have to WANT to do it.

dudditz

Retired Member
HSC
Originally posted by BWA

I go to a private school so I am suppose to be motivated and hardworking. I am in the top 20% for most subjects but my effort grades are all Cs and Ds. Of course that isn't good enough for anyone.
If you're in the top 20% for most subjects, by all means you haven't "screwed the HSC up" already. Who gives a stuff about effort grades, if your gettin good grades, why quit? Wanna swap situations with me? ;)

PS this is my 1st post here, feel special that it was your thread that I responded to first. :p

Twintip

Yeah just stick it out until Uni. Maybe then you'll see the meaning of it all and you'll be able to transfer your way to where you want to be quite easily. :) The ability to transfer so easily means a high UAI isn't needed so don't think you've screwed it totally, just leave with a semi-decent UAI and in 3 years time you won't care.

I can see you are one of those people who would get 99+ if they actually worked, there are a few like that in my year (without the alcoholism though). Your situation isn't uncommon (I also go to a private school).

dudditz

Retired Member
HSC
Originally posted by natstar
In my trials i ended up getting 60 and 70% which was way below my usual standards, but i kept wiv it and went for it when studying for the HSC. I got 3 80's and 2 high 70's and got into uni to do my first pref.
What uni do ya go to? What course do ya do?

BWA

Thanks for all your advice everyone. My problem seems to be I find the actual lessons a waste of time. I missed about 10 lessons of PDHPE and it took me one study period to catch up on all of that and understand it.

I went to school on Monday for the first three periods and haven't been since then and it is now Friday. I know I can catch up easily and I have started typing up notes for the half-yearlys.
I don't even use notes from lessons I use the textbooks and the syllabus, so the thing is I don't see the point in going when I can just do it all myself a lot quicker.

There is only a week or two left of school so I'm going to try going every day all day and see what happens. I have wanted to move out of home since last year so in the holidays I will and see if I do much work.

Oh yeah I also saw a doctor and I have depression and anxiety so that could be a part of staying home and I have to see a councillor which will hopefully help. I will let y'all know how I'm going in a week, but thanks for everything anyway.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by BWA
Thanks for all your advice everyone. My problem seems to be I find the actual lessons a waste of time. I missed about 10 lessons of PDHPE and it took me one study period to catch up on all of that and understand it.

I went to school on Monday for the first three periods and haven't been since then and it is now Friday. I know I can catch up easily and I have started typing up notes for the half-yearlys.
I don't even use notes from lessons I use the textbooks and the syllabus, so the thing is I don't see the point in going when I can just do it all myself a lot quicker.

There is only a week or two left of school so I'm going to try going every day all day and see what happens. I have wanted to move out of home since last year so in the holidays I will and see if I do much work.

Oh yeah I also saw a doctor and I have depression and anxiety so that could be a part of staying home and I have to see a councillor which will hopefully help. I will let y'all know how I'm going in a week, but thanks for everything anyway.
It's good to see that you're making an effort. I'm under a lot of stress myself, but (I know this sounds cliched) take it one day at a time. Since you have a boyfriend you have someone to confide in. If you feel down, talk it out - I find it helps me to talk to my best friend (who is a guy, but not my boyfriend) and he usually helps me see things better. Just keep trying to do what you can and hopefully you'll ace the HSC. You seem pretty smart (top 20% is fantastic, I wish I could do that well) so just keep at it. :cool:

Anton

HSC
Dude, seriously, don't drop out. A friend of mine did - which was fair enough as she was depressed - and she obviously regrets it quite a bit now that all of her friends are at uni.
Sure, year 12 can be fucked, but the feeling of finishing the HSC is so good. After it's over - which comes a lot sooner than it will feel like now - all you do is party and have fun and go to Schoolies and drink and smoke and listen to rock music and all the good things.
If you get 70 or whatever in the HSC, it's better than having no HSC at all. No matter how fuckin' retarded everything seems, in the end, you can get through it. So seriously, rock on.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Yer think about it... Out of your whole life its like 1 out of 70 years... YOu may aswell try because your life is ahead of u...

The drinking part should be saved as a reward for doing well or finsihing an exam.. For instance after u finish your Trial...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)