Second official breakdown (1 Viewer)

Should I...?

• Finish the current HSC?

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • Finish the current HSC, and redo year 11 & 12?

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Stop the current HSC, and look at TAFE as a viable option?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop the current HSC, and go into a private college?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop the current HSC, and sign back in for 11 & 12?

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

Callistogenic

HSC
(In inspired by SpoRTsGaL's thread)
I've done my trials, and have gotten average (at least for our classes) or above average marks, but I'm still not happy with my performance, and have considered many times of repeating the year and starting back in year 11, this time only with more motivation attached, and a sense of drive that I lacked this year. I feel like giving up, and dropping everything this year, then picking it up next.

My question is, should I remain within this year's year 12, and finish my HSC, and then re-evaluate, or sign out of school now, pop in for subject choices for next year's prelim year and hope that I have no line conflicts? At the moment, if I did finish the year, I couldn't get a UAI high enough, plus, there's an IT task which is presently upon me, which if I don't finish by Monday, I won't even get a HSC (because of N-designation.)

So, what do I do?

Crazy4U

I think you should try as hard as you can and finish this year.... you may find that you surprise yourself and end up doing really well.... if not there are alot of ways other than the HSC to get into Uni.... i'm guessing thats what you want to do?

Callistogenic

HSC
Crazy4U said:
I think you should try as hard as you can and finish this year.... you may find that you surprise yourself and end up doing really well.... if not there are alot of ways other than the HSC to get into Uni.... i'm guessing thats what you want to do?
That's the problem though, while my marks have been good within the class... When scaled towards the rest of the year, we average fairly low, in any case. There's only around 20 students within 100 or so that are actually getting PASSES.
I do want to go into uni, but I'm not so sure as to which course to select, so don't get me started in that regard.

Crazy4U

Well i reckon just stick it out..... you never know and if you quit now you might regret it.... i say if you stick it out then you can still go back and do the 2 years again, but if you drop now and then realise that you shouldn't have done it and realise that you could have just used those marks to do what you wanted.... if you get what i'm trying to say?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
remember that school assessments only count for 50% of the hsc course..
once you get your uai you can start considering your options, then see what you did wrong.. and at least you would have had the whole hsc experience and know what to expect if you decide to do it again..
and its probably a better option repeating it at tafe then at school.. as there would be people in the same situation and you wouldnt be stuck with the dingy 05 or 06ers

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
what makes you think that if you start all over again its going to be any different?
yeah, you might do well in year 11, but as soon as you hit year 12 again your gonig to be exactly where you started only, probably worse, because your a year older then most others.
why dont you get your act together and work hard now instead of looking for an easy way out.(tho technically, it probably isnt that easy..)

mack

Banned
HSC
Well, it is up to you in the end, but ive heard repeating yr 12 bores and frustrates you to death. And then, if you get a lower UAI then before.......all i can say is, ouch.

Callistogenic

HSC
Crazy4U said:
Well i reckon just stick it out..... you never know and if you quit now you might regret it.... i say if you stick it out then you can still go back and do the 2 years again, but if you drop now and then realise that you shouldn't have done it and realise that you could have just used those marks to do what you wanted.... if you get what i'm trying to say?
If I dropped out now, I would restart from year 11. And my subject choices for that year would be different to the current subjects that I am studying now, and cannot use those marks to help them.

SpoRTsGaL said:
and, FINISH THE DAMN I.T. TASK!!

hey, did you talk to your careers adviser about this??? what did he/she say??
I will, but I still will carry the N-designation.
My career's advisor says that I can either stay and repeat, or finish now and repeat. Seeing as I won't be getting a HSC, and my UAI would be pointless, the only real reason why I would stay is to go through it once and see what happens.

cro_angel said:
and its probably a better option repeating it at tafe then at school.. as there would be people in the same situation and you wouldnt be stuck with the dingy 05 or 06ers
The course which I'm trying to get into will not accept diploma-style courses, so that rules tafe out.

porge said:
what makes you think that if you start all over again its going to be any different?
yeah, you might do well in year 11, but as soon as you hit year 12 again your gonig to be exactly where you started only, probably worse, because your a year older then most others.
why dont you get your act together and work hard now instead of looking for an easy way out.(tho technically, it probably isnt that easy..)
I would've been through the two years (almost) and would know what habits to avoid. And... Its too late for that. Really, we're all in the same boat, and we're all sinking, I'm the only one with the hypothetical 'lifejacket' on, because I want to repeat and start again.

Leap

free falling
HSC
dreamcaster said:
The course which I'm trying to get into will not accept diploma-style courses, so that rules tafe out.
What course are you trying to get into?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
but doing the hsc at tafe isnt a diploma style course.. you still do 10-14 units there.. attend classes.. get hsc marks and a uai just like at high school.. except theres a wider range of ages there.. at least thats what i thought it was?
[edit] hold up you never mentioned that you werent getting the hsc.. why arent you eligable? or is it that u wont be eligable if u dont hand in the task.. cuz u can still hand it in crap and be eligable.. but really getting into the habit of lazyness isnt a good thing

Last edited:

Crazy4U

cro_angel said:
but doing the hsc at tafe isnt a diploma style course.. you still do 10-14 units there.. attend classes.. get hsc marks and a uai just like at high school.. except theres a wider range of ages there.. at least thats what i thought it was?
[edit] hold up you never mentioned that you werent getting the hsc.. why arent you eligable?
Yeah my friend left school in yr 11 and then realsied he wanted the HSC so he did year 11 and 12 in one year at TAFE.... he said it was excellent!

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
My advice: finish this year and see your result. still work to ur potential though. and then if ur not satisfied repeat, but only year 12 ( i think you can do that cant you?) otherwise do year 11 and 12 (in one year) at tafe. if you havent achieved what you wanted this year at school then try a different environment. good luck xoxo

Callistogenic

HSC
cro_angel said:
[edit] hold up you never mentioned that you werent getting the hsc.. why arent you eligable? or is it that u wont be eligable if u dont hand in the task.. cuz u can still hand it in crap and be eligable.. but really getting into the habit of lazyness isnt a good thing
I think its a Certificate IV-style course, I remember downloading a PDF for it a little while ago. And I'm not eligible because the deadline for the task is Monday, and I don't have the software to complete the documentation for the project. Plus, its 3 competencies...

Callistogenic

HSC
No. I'd like to, but I'd have to redo 14 units next year, to ensure I have all the course content.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Don't think you have to do all ten units. If you think your previous mark was good enough, then you would leave it alone and concentrate on others. But repeating and just doing 2u adv all year to kill it would be silly :rolleyes:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
no matter what u do, remember that hsc is not the end of the world.

just do your best and que sera sera.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
hey just curious... but can't you do your best in some of your subjects this year, let them count and do others next year to make up the ten units, which will make you eligible for getting the hsc and uai next year? or do you have to do ten units all over again??
Yes, UAI is cumulative over a period of up to five years.

twiddla

But hey - study really hard and cain ur hsc exams - plus if u kno nething about the way the uai works it is ur school rank that counts not the mark you get given by ur school (it's complex but simply - if i was ranked 5 at for my school assessment i'd get the 5th highest mark for my school in the hsc exam as my school assessment)! If u do well in ur hsc plus help the other guys in ur year then u shld still be able to get a pretty high uai. and as my year adviser says - there is more than one way to skin a cat even if it means starting another degree and transferring

rumour

HSC
My friend dropped out in feb, is now @ tafe & is wondering if she should do her HSC again next year!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)