Secondhand Book Stores (1 Viewer)

millymoo

HSC
hiya i think i speak for a lot of people out there when i say im sick of paying for expensive books!

im at a loss where to look for secondhand books shops? anyone know of any in sydney??

thanks in advance :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Try your local library, plenty of books there to read. And it's all free of course. ;)

frenchic

HSC
N/A
i usually get some of my textbooks for school from T's bookshop at 136-138 Avoca St Randwick NSW 2031
ph: (02) 9399 5642
but they have plenty of other books as well. There is also unsw second hand, dont know much about it though

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
are you tlaking about books to read?

Newtown has a few 2nd hand bookstores

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
york books in parramatta, argyle street.

its pretty alrite

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Try the Salvos and Vinnies and other op-shops.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Theres this one in Nulla. But uh, I wouldnt be going there unless I was desperate

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
If you're looking for old books try St. Vinnies or the Salvos etc, they sometimes stock them.

If your every in a country town and it has a market (or sometimes a show) on then you may find someone selling off old books.

Pierotte

HSC
Ill aquaint you with a book

a free book to boot

Its called the yellow pages

Im not sure about yours but mine has a whole page of second hand book store listings.

do try it.

sly fly

HSC
there's a couple in hornsby, there's a couple in parramatta......which area are u looking for them in?

duggoh

Adam
HSC
Gleebooks in Glebe is probably my favourite...
the address is:
49 Glebe Pt Rd
Glebe
It's closer 2 Parramatta Rd. than it is the markets, so its easy to catch a bus from the city because its hard to miss... its easy to walk from Central even...

funniboi

HSC
find a friend and go halvies :)

brand new book for half the price! :O

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
there is a bookshop at the riverwood, close to the train station.
i bought there book "not without my daugher'" for $8. at angus it is $21.95.
i can trade this book to the same bookshop for $4. you can read up to 4 months. i think it is a good bargain

Last edited:

shimmy&shine

HSC
yeah i know what you mean... there are so many books i want to have, but they all seem overpriced. i don't really mind buying books if its worth it, but i think finding it for less than its rrp is part of the fun. i love it when i find neat treasures so here are the places i've been...

~"the Curiosity Shop", first shop you see getting off Waitara train st (opp highway side). It's an antique shop and they have this tiny room at the back with shelves filled with the most random books- mills&boon, readers'digest,ect but you'll find great ones admist it. i got "Power of One" by Bryce Courtney and "the Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde for $1 each! yeah, they were a bit tattered, but at least the writing is legible, and i like the book-worn-down look (sometimes!).

~"Turn the Page- Book Exchange" in Gordon, it's pretty good. I think these are one of the few shops that hold 'Wordsworth Classics' (brand new) and sell them all for $5 each. I'm reading 'Emma' right now, and i got it for $5. otherwise there are a lot of second hand books of all kinds.

~i got Alex Miller's "Journey to the Stone Country" (hardcover and brand new- it looed that way) for $4 from rrp $40, and Helen Prejean's "Dead Man Walking" for $2 from St Vincents at Gordon. i like going to these types of shops for the books, and it's quite exciting when you find great books so cheap.

so now i sound cheap-lol, but that's me when it comes to books, and i love finding books so cheap. especially when you can keep them forever. my future plan is to have my own personal library room in my home- hopefully!

I hope that helps you, if you wanted to know where to buy second hand books. but what's the difference when some second hand books look brand new? good luck finding other places..

shimmy&shine

HSC
This is an old thread, but has any one visited the bookshops that i noted above? What did you think of them?

And i was going to start a new thread on this, but I'll ask it here:

Which books was your BEST EVER buy?

mine was Courtney's Tandia for $2.50 today! nearly brand new.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)