Selective School Application... Again! (1 Viewer)

StudyMate-

HSC
Hey guys!

Once again, I will be applying for Fort St High School. I just wanted to hear your opinions on whether I would have a good chance of getting a place in a selective school. I also want to know whether I should apply for more schools or not.

I currently go to a 200+ ranked Catholic school and my parents are really keen on enrolling me at Fort St High School. I have been applying for a vacant spot at Fort St since year 8 and i REALLY hope this year is MY year.

My results last year in year 9: - 7A's 1B( for Commerce)
- High Distinction in Australian Maths Comp
- 4th Highest Aggregate in the year
- Ranked top 3 in a couple of subjects (1st- Maths, 3rd-English, 2nd- Science)
- Participation in Australian History + Geography Competitons (not sure if I should
include these tho :p)

I reckon my results last year were pretty solid. However, my Naplan results weren't as outstanding (band 8s for reading, writing). I also practically don't do any extra-curricular activities beside Maths, Geo or History Competitions.

Unfortunately, I haven't finished my half-yearly exams yet.

So feel free to leave your opinions

Much appreciated :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Looks good, I think you should have a pretty good chance on the academic side of things!
If you only got participation in the history and geo comps then don't include them

I reckon you should try out for more school as well! There's always a chance that you will not get in, and if you don't want to stay in a 200+ ranked school (not saying you wouldn't want to as you probably have heaps of friends and such) then you should apply for more!

Good luck!

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Hey guys!

Once again, I will be applying for Fort St High School. I just wanted to hear your opinions on whether I would have a good chance of getting a place in a selective school. I also want to know whether I should apply for more schools or not.

I currently go to a 200+ ranked Catholic school and my parents are really keen on enrolling me at Fort St High School. I have been applying for a vacant spot at Fort St since year 8 and i REALLY hope this year is MY year.

My results last year in year 9: - 7A's 1B( for Commerce)
- High Distinction in Australian Maths Comp
- 4th Highest Aggregate in the year
- Ranked top 3 in a couple of subjects (1st- Maths, 3rd-English, 2nd- Science)
- Participation in Australian History + Geography Competitons (not sure if I should
include these tho :p)

I reckon my results last year were pretty solid. However, my Naplan results weren't as outstanding (band 8s for reading, writing). I also practically don't do any extra-curricular activities beside Maths, Geo or History Competitions.

Unfortunately, I haven't finished my half-yearly exams yet.

So feel free to leave your opinions

Much appreciated :)
They look awesome, go all out for your Half yearlies, take home a good report, and ace their entrance exam. Noone really cares about NAPLAN though haha. I think you have a good chance of making it, but maybe do some extracurricular stuff for a short while for your application?

StudyMate-

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys! I may apply for Sydney Boys because my younger brother is there. I may also for some partially selective schools around my area.
I also REALLY ceebs doing any extracurricular stuff. However, I entered in a number of Maths Comps(Australian MAths, Informatics, ICAS), which I hope I get a Credit or Distinction in.
Oh and BTW, has anyone sat the entrance exam for Fort St? If so, please let me know whether it was do-able or not.
Cheers!~

MissyL

HSC
Wow... your year 9 academics are almost identical to mine. iunno about year 10 half yearlies though :( I think i might get a B this time for english, hopefully it'll be atoned by my other subject marks. Anyways, all the best with your application

Last edited:

StudyMate-

HSC
Ahahha sweet! I also didn't do as well as I thought I would in my term 1 Hand Ins. Btw what schools are you applying for?

Verify

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys! I may apply for Sydney Boys because my younger brother is there. I may also for some partially selective schools around my area.
I also REALLY ceebs doing any extracurricular stuff. However, I entered in a number of Maths Comps(Australian MAths, Informatics, ICAS), which I hope I get a Credit or Distinction in.
Oh and BTW, has anyone sat the entrance exam for Fort St? If so, please let me know whether it was do-able or not.
Cheers!~
If your brother goes to Sydney Boys, I recommend you DEFINITELY apply there. Because a relative of yours goes there, you have a much higher probability of making it in (say you have identical credentials with another candidate, then you'd be the favourite). I sat the Fort Street test last year, it's not too difficult if you know your Year 10 stuff for maths. If you can do all the questions the syllabus requires you to do up until the time you attempt the exam, it shouldn't be a problem. Just a warning though, that the exam paper is extremely long (I can't really remember but it was around ~20-30 pages).

As for English, the multiple choice/short response answers were mostly logic questions and there was also an essay that you had to write.

Good luck!

MissyL

HSC
Ahahha sweet! I also didn't do as well as I thought I would in my term 1 Hand Ins. Btw what schools are you applying for?
We both suffer the same fate in screwing up term 1... I'm trying out for NSBHS, Normo, Fort street and maybe baulko (i might change cos of how badly i screwed up english:evilfire: )

MissyL

HSC
If your brother goes to Sydney Boys, I recommend you DEFINITELY apply there. Because a relative of yours goes there, you have a much higher probability of making it in (say you have identical credentials with another candidate, then you'd be the favourite). I sat the Fort Street test last year, it's not too difficult if you know your Year 10 stuff for maths. If you can do all the questions the syllabus requires you to do up until the time you attempt the exam, it shouldn't be a problem. Just a warning though, that the exam paper is extremely long (I can't really remember but it was around ~20-30 pages).

As for English, the multiple choice/short response answers were mostly logic questions and there was also an essay that you had to write.

Good luck!
wtf 20-30 pages maths... were they all short answered questions like log/quadratic/trig questions? or was it 20-30 pages with problem solving D': What was the essay about? was it about contemporary issues (waste management, love, homosexuality) and what not? or random essay questions like which place is better to live? a city or a country?
ooo and also, my brother also went to fort street but that was like 7-8 years ago, would it still count? hahaha

StudyMate-

HSC
Awesome!!!!! I also had an older brother who graduated from Fort St 2 years ago :)

Verify

HSC
wtf 20-30 pages maths... were they all short answered questions like log/quadratic/trig questions? or was it 20-30 pages with problem solving D': What was the essay about? was it about contemporary issues (waste management, love, homosexuality) and what not? or random essay questions like which place is better to live? a city or a country?
ooo and also, my brother also went to fort street but that was like 7-8 years ago, would it still count? hahaha
Yeah I think it was around 20. Don't worry though, as far as I know, there wasn't much problem solving. It was more straightforward 'find the gradient of this' what is the trigonometric ratio of that'. I don't think anyone finished the paper as well so you shouldn't worry if you don't. Most likely scenario is that everyone frets that they didn't finish when nobody did. No, I don't think there were any logs, although I think I do remember some quadratic equations questions. Don't quote me on this though.

The written response last year was about having to write an article for a magazine if I remember correctly, although I can't recall what we had to write it on.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can write about your brother.

MissyL

HSC
Yeah I think it was around 20. Don't worry though, as far as I know, there wasn't much problem solving. It was more straightforward 'find the gradient of this' what is the trigonometric ratio of that'. I don't think anyone finished the paper as well so you shouldn't worry if you don't. Most likely scenario is that everyone frets that they didn't finish when nobody did. No, I don't think there were any logs, although I think I do remember some quadratic equations questions. Don't quote me on this though.

The written response last year was about having to write an article for a magazine if I remember correctly, although I can't recall what we had to write it on.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can write about your brother.
Oh thank god, I'm a quick at maths ;) just not problem solving lol and are you serious there's no logs? haha (cos that's year 10 advanced). were there circle geo (my main concern), inverse functions and other hard topics? and btw, did you get in fort?

Verify

HSC
Oh thank god, I'm a quick at maths ;) just not problem solving lol and are you serious there's no logs? haha (cos that's year 10 advanced). were there circle geo (my main concern), inverse functions and other hard topics? and btw, did you get in fort?
Don't worry, only NSBHS has circle geo and some extension topics for Year 10 and they are known to give very difficult tests. So you should be fine. No I wasn't admitted to Fort, but a different school.

MissyL

HSC
Don't worry, only NSBHS has circle geo and some extension topics for Year 10 and they are known to give very difficult tests. So you should be fine. No I wasn't admitted to Fort, but a different school.
lol wow... i thought every school was going to have a hard maths test so I did every single year 10 maths topic up to the beginning of 2u (ap,gp and roots of equations) and cool what school was it? :)

Lalaloop

HSC
Hey you're going Fort Street, too! I'm going to see so many people from this website who are applying... HAHA. Girraween is my first preference anyway... I've always wanted to go there. If I get in there, I'm dropping all other offers (even if it's JAMES RUSE).

Balls2u

HSC
Hey you're going Fort Street, too! I'm going to see so many people from this website who are applying... HAHA. Girraween is my first preference anyway... I've always wanted to go there. If I get in there, I'm dropping all other offers (even if it's JAMES RUSE).
haha I'm applying for girraween too xD ( l0l )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)