Selective vs Non selective (1 Viewer)

tanzorz

HSC
Hello!

So i'm currently going to a catholic school, but i applied to get into Girraween, a Selective high school. I'm in year 10, and would be moving in year 11

Now that i got the results back, and i actually got accepted, i started actually thinking what i would gain and lose from moving. I'm pretty much getting the exact same subjects, accept that i have to do religion in my current school. I'm just not sure i'm going to gain much from moving, and what if i can't cope? Anyone who has moved in year 11 have any advice? I'm questioning whether there is a point to moving.

Also, if i stay at my current school, i have a chance of topping the grade and coming first place (or at least place) in some of my subjects. Whereas if i move i doubt i would even be close to achieving that, however i would be in selective. Which would be more advantageous?

Thank you in advance, i'm having a really tough time deciding and any advice would be great :) What would you do if you were in my place?

enoilgam

HSC
It really depends on you to be honest, some people thrive way more in a competitive environment, others dont and some sink. Also, given the way the system works, a selective school can pull your ATAR up in SOME circumstances, however, it isnt that significant in my view (I'm not going to go into a big explanation of how this works, there are many threads on BoS dedicated to this topic).

The other thing you might want to consider is friends and the social side of school - I dont think people consider this enough when changing schools. It's true that you can make new friends, but it isnt like the first day of HS or Uni where most people are new to each other. You will be entering an environment where people have established friendship groups and it may be hard for you to find your place socially. It may not seem like an important issue, but having a strong support system can be really helpful especially with something as stressful as the HSC. I definitely think that having a solid group of friends during the HSC helped me a lot, so you should keep that in mind.

Lalaloop

HSC
Hi! I made it into Girraween, too, and I'm not taking the offer. I decided to stay in my current school because I think it'll benefit me because I know the teachers and I stand a better chance topping my subjects. Girra students are heaps smart, just telling you.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
In a selective school you are against competitors fighting against each other for top marks. So, as a result it would be natural instinct for students to do their best to be the best. so it would be good to go to girra coz you would have a lot of competitors thus making you mentally want to do your best there but a downfall is that you may fall behind because of the advanced work they are currently studying. but if you stayed at your school you would be top, be known by your teachers well so they can help your weaknesses and you will know what to expect when entering year 11. no doubt selective schools produce the most HSC high achievers but many smart students have come out of private schools and government schools.

IT IS A MATTER OF HOW DEDICATED YOU ARE TO DO YOUR BEST. YOU CAN GET 99.95 ANYWHERE, IT IS HOW YOU APPLY YOURSELF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)