Semester 1 USYD Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnkrr

HSC
lol didn't wake up for my 8am MATH1002 lecture.. where the fuck are the lectures notes for this subject wtf?
ECOP1001 seems boring. :'(
not looking forward to a huge break tomorrow bc of no tutes in first week fffuuuu

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I saw Carrotsticks today.

zxreth

HSC
I have a 3 hour break tomorrow before my lecture at 4pm, would i miss out on a lot since it's just a first week lecture if i decided not to go? The subject is ENG1801 if that helps.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What were everybody's thoughts about first few lectures today (if you got a new lecturer?)

Real & Complex Analysis: Dr Cirstea

Relies a bit too much on the lecture notes but explains concepts pretty well. Amusing at times so the lecture isn't so lifeless. Pronounces 'lower' in a way such that it rhymes with 'flower'.

Nonlinear Systems: Dr Macaskill

Has handwriting exactly like mine. A bit slow with explaining things (but that could be because normal is combined with advanced) and sometimes gets confused by what he writes himself (ie: Solution was 1-1/p and he said it was just 1). Has really bad breath.

Vector Calculus: Dr Parkinson

Being awesome as usual. Great with explaining concepts in detail whilst doing so in a fast manner. Amusing to listen to (awesome Right Hand Rule diagram btw) and makes lectures worth-while.

Physics Fundamentals: Dr Stampfl

Relies way too much on the lecture slides. Explains things clearly and slowly (good and bad I suppose). Not very much of a lecture today (since First Year course so most of it was introduction) so too hard to judge atm.

Tried a 'gourmet sandwich' for the first time from the 7/11-sorta shop at Wentworth. Totally not worth $5.

Mocha from coffee store next to co-op never fails to disappoint again.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Also any interesting First Year stories?

I saw one guy ask where the nearest toilet was, and the dude he asked directed him to Bosch. This occurred at Carslaw. So slack but I suppose I'm just as bad for not saying anything.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Cirstea is quite something. I had her for 1001 & 1003 two years ago. It's quite cute when she goes off on one of her tangents (no pun intended) and then laughs. It's hard not to laugh as well considering the random things she brings up.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Cirstea is quite something. I had her for 1001 & 1003 two years ago. It's quite cute when she goes off on one of her tangents (no pun intended) and then laughs. It's hard not to laugh as well considering the random things she brings up.
She told us the epic 'secret' to getting HD in Math after much delay lol.

"Read ahead".

And yeah it is quite cute lol. I also noticed that the more excited she gets (the more rigorous the explanation), the higher pitch she speaks with.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
Also any interesting First Year stories?

I saw one guy ask where the nearest toilet was, and the dude he asked directed him to Bosch. This occurred at Carslaw. So slack but I suppose I'm just as bad for not saying anything.
LMFAO. slack

My first day of penultimate year: IBUS3101 International Business Alliance - had Alex Eapen as my lecturer, really nice guy. "I don't consider an iphone a real phone, but an entertainment device" LOL.
However, Carslaw 373 sucks - old tables/benches and really uncomfortable wooden seats, and so hot inside as well. FFS, USyd needs to upgrade these old rooms and facilities!!

shakky

HSC
What were everybody's thoughts about first few lectures today (if you got a new lecturer?)

Real & Complex Analysis: Dr Cirstea

Relies a bit too much on the lecture notes but explains concepts pretty well. Amusing at times so the lecture isn't so lifeless. Pronounces 'lower' in a way such that it rhymes with 'flower'.

Nonlinear Systems: Dr Macaskill

Has handwriting exactly like mine. A bit slow with explaining things (but that could be because normal is combined with advanced) and sometimes gets confused by what he writes himself (ie: Solution was 1-1/p and he said it was just 1). Has really bad breath.

Vector Calculus: Dr Parkinson

Being awesome as usual. Great with explaining concepts in detail whilst doing so in a fast manner. Amusing to listen to (awesome Right Hand Rule diagram btw) and makes lectures worth-while.

Physics Fundamentals: Dr Stampfl

Relies way too much on the lecture slides. Explains things clearly and slowly (good and bad I suppose). Not very much of a lecture today (since First Year course so most of it was introduction) so too hard to judge atm.

Tried a 'gourmet sandwich' for the first time from the 7/11-sorta shop at Wentworth. Totally not worth $5.

Mocha from coffee store next to co-op never fails to disappoint again.
Where abouts were you sitting in Physics, Carrotsticks? I was in the same lecture, and that test thing was a bit of surprise, especially for a guy who never did physics... :(

AusBOX

HSC
I missed my first MATH1002 Lecture. Any suggestions on what to do?

Had ENGG1800 Lecture and Tut today, enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Where abouts were you sitting in Physics, Carrotsticks? I was in the same lecture, and that test thing was a bit of surprise, especially for a guy who never did physics... :(
You know the first guy to dip his finger in the water? The one who described it as 'slimy' or something? I was the dude who arrived (kinda) late and sat next to him.

I missed my first MATH1002 Lecture. Any suggestions on what to do?
First lecture usually don't miss much.

He would have just solved some simultaneous equations etc. Just read the first couple pages from the textbook.

zxreth

HSC
I have a 3 hour break tomorrow before my lecture at 4pm, would i miss out on a lot since it's just a first week lecture if i decided not to go? The subject is ENG1801 if that helps.
anyone?

shakky

HSC
You know the first guy to dip his finger in the water? The one who described it as 'slimy' or something? I was the dude who arrived (kinda) late and sat next to him.
Ahh ok, I'm pretty sure I know what you look like. Lol at the guy who said slimy, It was kinda slack but funny how she laughed at him when he said it. ahaha.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ahh ok, I'm pretty sure I know what you look like. Lol at the guy who said slimy, It was kinda slack but funny how she laughed at him when he said it. ahaha.
Throw a pen or something at me during Wednesday's lecture so I know which one is you lol.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I actually spent 4 hours with rippy today :eek:

edit: and crashed my car.

Question is, are the two related?

shakky

HSC
Throw a pen or something at me during Wednesday's lecture so I know which one is you lol.
hahaha, ok. Lets hope my aiming is good (let alone exactly sure who you are), or else I might be creating a few enemies instead of friends in my first week of uni. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)